Tender Ports on our Canada/US Cruise

tring

We have three tender ports on our cruise, they are Newport, Bar harbor and Iles de la Madeleine.  Can anyone tell me how long the tender journeys are from where the ships anchor and if there are any toilets at the tender docking point in those places?  We have booked excursions in all three of those and the cruise lines cannot assure us that toilets would be available fairly early during the tours, which could make it very difficult for me.

We were in Bar Harbor last week and tendered off the ship. The time from lineup to boarding the tender to shore was less than 30 minutes. There are restrooms in the building you walk past after exiting the tender. Turn left at the top of the walk ramp and left at the end of the building. Was great to be able to change my shirt after getting wet kayaking!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PolythenePam57 said:

We were in Bar Harbor last week and tendered off the ship. The time from lineup to boarding the tender to shore was less than 30 minutes. There are restrooms in the building you walk past after exiting the tender. Turn left at the top of the walk ramp and left at the end of the building. Was great to be able to change my shirt after getting wet kayaking!

Thanks a lot for your answer, good to know there are toilets near the tender dock in case I need them.  I have been in touch with the cruise line and I have now been told toilets will be available on the excursions at other two ports, (including on a boat we are booked to take a coastal cruise on in Iles de la Madeleine), but they were unsure about the walking tour we have booked in Bar Harbor.  I am now a very happy bunny 🙂

That means we will be fine doing morning excursions in the tender ports, so should not be wasting time hanging around for tenders, then we can off off independently for the afternoons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 3:09 PM, tring said:

Thanks a lot for your answer, good to know there are toilets near the tender dock in case I need them.  I have been in touch with the cruise line and I have now been told toilets will be available on the excursions at other two ports, (including on a boat we are booked to take a coastal cruise on in Iles de la Madeleine), but they were unsure about the walking tour we have booked in Bar Harbor.  I am now a very happy bunny 🙂

You've gotten spot on directions to the restroom closest to the tender dock at Bar Harbor; as for the rest of the town - there are shops and restaurants everywhere that would provide facilities with minimal expense on your side. ie buy a soda, use the restroom. It's a lovely walkable town.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We were on the June 30th Sailing of the QM2 for the NE/CAN this year and our last Port of Call was to be Newport. It was also designated as a tendering port.

Due to anticipated Dense Fog we experienced in many of our previous ports (Halifax and Boston) and during the sailing. We were notified the previous day that our call on Newport was cancelled. For operational reasons, if tendering took place and Denser Fog settled in, passengers would not be able to be brought back to the ship and remain in Newport. Passengers would have to find there way back to NY themselves.

We know also of a previous sailing into Newport on the QM2 that also was very dense and cancelled for operational reason. You have to always hope for crystal clear weather when in a tendering port of call.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You've gotten spot on directions to the restroom closest to the tender dock at Bar Harbor; as for the rest of the town - there are shops and restaurants everywhere that would provide facilities with minimal expense on your side. ie buy a soda, use the restroom. It's a lovely walkable town.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Good to know that, thinks.  We have booked a 1.5 hour "Gilded Age Walking Tour" in Bar Harbor.  I am sure it is not really needed but may be more interest to us as an insight into the way of life that existed over there.  The only reason we booked it really though is to make sure we do not have to wait a long time for the tender transfer, so should make good use of the day and we can stroll around and visit cafes after that for a while.  As it is reported to get quite busy, we also thought getting ashore early would be better and only costs £27 (just under $35)pp, so not much in the scheme of things on our 30 night round trip cruise. 

14 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We were on the June 30th Sailing of the QM2 for the NE/CAN this year and our last Port of Call was to be Newport. It was also designated as a tendering port.

Due to anticipated Dense Fog we experienced in many of our previous ports (Halifax and Boston) and during the sailing. We were notified the previous day that our call on Newport was cancelled. For operational reasons, if tendering took place and Denser Fog settled in, passengers would not be able to be brought back to the ship and remain in Newport. Passengers would have to find there way back to NY themselves.

We know also of a previous sailing into Newport on the QM2 that also was very dense and cancelled for operational reason. You have to always hope for crystal clear weather when in a tendering port of call.

That is very true, sorry to hear you had disruption to your itinerary and poor weather.  I am very conscious that we will be sailing down and up that coast in mid September, so hoping we will not encounter a storm tracking up to that area from a Caribbean hurricane.  We have three tender ports, which can easily be missed even without a bad storm in the area as well.  All chance though as you say, we are hoping we will be more likely to have good weather, most itineraries seem to be OK, just hoping I am right about that.

46 minutes ago, tring said:

That is very true, sorry to hear you had disruption to your itinerary and poor weather.  I am very conscious that we will be sailing down and up that coast in mid September, so hoping we will not encounter a storm tracking up to that area from a Caribbean hurricane.  We have three tender ports, which can easily be missed even without a bad storm in the area as well.  All chance though as you say, we are hoping we will be more likely to have good weather, most itineraries seem to be OK, just hoping I am right about that.

All The Good Luck! Bon Voyage!

• Like 1