Questions re dining on the Koningsdam

VennDiagram

Sel de Mer

1. The price I see online is $57.82 pp.  That seems like an odd amount.  Does that include the gratuity?  Or is it the price with the Mariner discount of 25%?
  2. Is it really Maine lobster tail?
  3. Would 3 nights at Sel de Mer be too many on a 10 day cruise?  We really enjoy seafood.  I'm asking for opinions, not fact 😉

Nami Sushi

1. Is there a Mariner discount offered on the final bill, or is the price the price shown on the menu?
  2. Does anyone know if the Thai Basil Szechuan Shrimp is still offered?  If it is, just how spicy is it?

Thanks in advance!  It has been far far too long since we cruised.  I didn't really want to go on the Koningsdam due to its size, but since we ARE going on it, I want to maximize our enjoyment, and the specialty dining seems to offer a fair amount of enjoyment.

We were one and done with Rudi's Sel de Mer on the Konigsdam, and cancelled our later reservation. Your mileage may vary.  We found it was just not worth the surcharge, not even close. But glad we tried it, at least once.

MDR has a seafood option every night.

• Like 3

We thought Rudi's was outstanding on the Koningsdam. By far the best meal we had on board. But it just depends if it's worth that cost to you. I personally wouldn't do it more than once per cruise even though I loved it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

Sel de Mer

1. The price I see online is $57.82 pp.  That seems like an odd amount.  Does that include the gratuity?  Or is it the price with the Mariner discount of 25%?

Nami Sushi

1. Is there a Mariner discount offered on the final bill, or is the price the price shown on the menu?

Based on the chart here: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/mariner-society.html

the 25% discount only applies to Pinnacle, Tamarind and Canaletto

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We were one and done with Rudi's Sel de Mer on the Konigsdam, and cancelled our later reservation. Your mileage may vary.  We found it was just not worth the surcharge, not even close. But glad we tried it, at least once.

MDR has a seafood option every night.

That was our conclusion also.  It is highly doubtful that we will ever dine there again.  

• Like 2

Is the OP a 3* Mariner? Didn’t see that in their post.  There is a 25% discount for Sel de Mer for 4 and 5* Mariners so unsure if that is what they are referring to.  No discount for 3*

I don’t believe there is an discount for Nami Sushi.

I am a huge fan of Sel de Mer and until the K, had only done pop ups.  I was not impressed on the k but I was dining solo and honestly, I felt that they chose to ignore me.  I am sure my fish sat under a heat lamp for so long I wouldn’t have fed it to my dog.  I should have gone with my gut and ordered the Dover Sole.

However, that will not stop me from doing it on the Rotterdam.  The K cruise was at more than capacity and perhaps they resented a solo taking a table for 2?  Not sure but for me, the meal I looked forward to the most was a disappointment on the Koningsdam.

I’d try it and if you all is good stick with your reservations.  I’m not sure I could do 3 in 10 days but I’ve certainly done a couple of them (pop ups) in 24 and 30+ days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

Nami Sushi

2. Does anyone know if the Thai Basil Szechuan Shrimp is still offered?  If it is, just how spicy is it?

The shrimp is on the menu at Nami ($15) and Tamarind.  I had it in February on the Rotterdam. It was delicious but I like spicy.  You will receive a Mariner discount at Tamarind.  

You can see all the menus on the Navigator app.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We were unaware  that there is no discount  at Sel De Mer for 3 star  Mariner & with the reviews we read here on Cruise Critic for the koningsdam ,we too will not dine there

I get confused with your postings.  What reviews? I read about people raving about Rudi's. 

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We were unaware  that there is no discount  at Sel De Mer for 3 star  Mariner & with the reviews we read here on Cruise Critic for the koningsdam ,we too will not dine there

the benefits are  all in the Mariner programme, Cliff.  You just need to read it 😉 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, albingirl said:

What? Nevermind.  I still don't get why you sail Holland America, except it's convenient, right?

From what I saw of the food and heard, everyone was happy with it the night I was there.  I think my experience was due to being solo.

I know that wouldn’t have happened on other ships I have been on but it did on this one.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Is the OP a 3* Mariner? Didn’t see that in their post.  There is a 25% discount for Sel de Mer for 4 and 5* Mariners so unsure if that is what they are referring to.  No discount for 3*

I don’t believe there is an discount for Nami Sushi.

I am a huge fan of Sel de Mer and until the K, had only done pop ups.  I was not impressed on the k but I was dining solo and honestly, I felt that they chose to ignore me.  I am sure my fish sat under a heat lamp for so long I wouldn’t have fed it to my dog.  I should have gone with my gut and ordered the Dover Sole.

However, that will not stop me from doing it on the Rotterdam.  The K cruise was at more than capacity and perhaps they resented a solo taking a table for 2?  Not sure but for me, the meal I looked forward to the most was a disappointment on the Koningsdam.

I’d try it and if you all is good stick with your reservations.  I’m not sure I could do 3 in 10 days but I’ve certainly done a couple of them (pop ups) in 24 and 30+ days.

Jzcqui I di nit like fish but I do  like Maine Lobster .Do they serve thqt at this restaurant & have you eaten Maine lobster there & your findings ?

Just now, kazu said:

the benefits are  all in the Mariner programme, Cliff.  You just need to read it 😉 

5 minutes ago, albingirl said:

What? Nevermind.  I still don't get why you sail Holland America, except it's convenient, right?

The following cruise lines are departing from San Diego during the time frame mentioned. Lots of choices.

HAL

Princess

Disney

Seven Seas

Crystal

Viking

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Jzcqui I di nit like fish but I do  like Maine Lobster .Do they serve thqt at this restaurant & have you eaten Maine lobster there & your findings ?

I did not choose the lobster on  the K, Cliff.  I had it on the pop up on the Prinsendam,  It as good lobster - not Caribbean.

I see posts saying it was Caribbean but that was not my experience.  It ws obviously frozen but cooked well enough you couldn’t tell much of a difference and it was good. And I am a Maritimer.

I am looking forward to trying their platter (surcharge) since we have enough people for 1 or 2 depending on how many want it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

From what I saw of the food and heard, everyone was happy with it the night I was there.  I think my experience was due to being solo.

I know that wouldn’t have happened on other ships I have been on but it did on this one.  

Interesting you commented this way  because we had dinner in  Tamarind  i=at the time toy were on the ship ,O did not think Tamarind was up to what We experienced the first time pre covid on  Eurodam from San Diego . We had lunch in Pinnacle Grill & ot was OK  not Ruth Kris though . The Best Restaurant was Cannaletto on that cruise , 

any really good restaurant on land will never make a solo ffeel unwelcome & would serve the same quality to all  patrons 

you & I know that the ship was understaffed & that led to many problems ,when there are  officers  in  every night watching intently in the MDR ,some thing is up .We did see that on that cruise.,We did experience 2 hour dinners,We did experience  less than    knowledgeable wait staff , facts are facts & we don't color those facts .We just hope that all is changed for the better . We also have Club Orange to make sure it is changed  on all out future Koningsdam cruises 

I hope I do not get a wrong impression here ?

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The following cruise lines are departing from San Diego during the time frame mentioned. Lots of choices.

HAL

Princess

Disney

Seven Seas

Crystal

Viking

so which cruise line do you choose & why 

BTW & FWIW  ,with close to 100 cruises on 5 lines I feel qualified to make note of the good & the bad on any cruise ship  .It is not all bad on Holland America ships; however ,if   management cuts the budgets every pax  is impacted  on any line or ship at any time ,no exceptions.hope this end this debate

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Who knows, maybe we were there on the same night? Both service and food were off for us that night, and we were dining as couple. Dressed up for the occasion too.

Every once in a while, those one-off nights can just go way, way off. It could only be laughed off, as it proceeded from disappointing to bad, to finally the worst with the failed dessert  that particular night - Rudi's alleged Salzburger Knockerol*.

(*I have seen other's pictures of what looked like the real deal having also enjoyed this egg white spectacular many times in Austria, but that was not even close to what we were served that evening.)

Rudi's remains something to experience and I do appreciate HAL trying to add this upper end option. I just did not expect that degree of quality variability for the surcharge. 

Thanks for your tips about Club Orange - that would be the only way I would ever try a Pinnacle class ship again.  It would need a spectacular itinerary to even tempt me. Or the only West Coast departure ship in town. More likely.

15 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Interesting you commented this way  because we had dinner in  Tamarind  i=at the time toy were on the ship ,O did not think Tamarind was up to what We experienced the first time pre covid on  Eurodam from San Diego . We had lunch in Pinnacle Grill & ot was OK  not Ruth Kris though . The Best Restaurant was Cannaletto on that cruise , 

any really good restaurant on land will never make a solo ffeel unwelcome & would serve the same quality to all  patrons 

you & I know that the ship was understaffed & that led to many problems ,when there are  officers  in  every night watching intently in the MDR ,some thing is up .We did see that on that cruise.,We did experience 2 hour dinners,We did experience  less than    knowledgeable wait staff , facts are facts & we don't color those facts .We just hope that all is changed for the better . We also have Club Orange to make sure it is changed  on all out future Koningsdam cruises 

I hope I do not get a wrong impression here ?

I ate in the Tamarind twice and found it very good so I’m sorry I can’t agree.  My only bad experience was Sel de Mer but it was also the only specialty I was alone.

I can’t say I know about the MDR, seriously.  Went there one night with friends and I was one and done.  I don’t care for the dining room on Pinnacle class ships.  My limited solo lunch and on dinner saw badly spaced out service for appetizers etc.  At lunch our appetizer and main meal were brought at the same time.  

I had Club Orange and enjoyed it and if a Pinnacle Class is in my future (like October) I’ll book and get Club Orange.  No deal on an upgrade because of the perks I had (crew appreciation) but that’s fine - it’s worth it for me for a good dining experience and less noise.  I don’t  need the perks but like @POA1  I’ll take the bag 😂 

I can’t comment on the understaffing although it felt that way but the ship was over capacity with a lot of children and that makes a huge difference.

Have to remember this was a Christmas and New Years cruise so there’s going to be a lot of children and a lot of families.  You take the cards you are dealt.  

I had a good time until I was  kicked off the ship (medically - I wasn’t bad).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I ate in the Tamarind twice and found it very good so I’m sorry I can’t agree.  My only bad experience was Sel de Mer but it was also the only specialty I was alone.

I can’t say I know about the MDR, seriously.  Went there one night with friends and I was one and done.  I don’t care for the dining room on Pinnacle class ships.  My limited solo lunch and on dinner saw badly spaced out service for appetizers etc.  At lunch our appetizer and main meal were brought at the same time.  

I had Club Orange and enjoyed it and if a Pinnacle Class is in my future (like October) I’ll book and get Club Orange.  No deal on an upgrade because of the perks I had (crew appreciation) but that’s fine - it’s worth it for me for a good dining experience and less noise.  I don’t  need the perks but like @POA1  I’ll take the bag 😂 

I can’t comment on the understaffing although it felt that way but the ship was over capacity with a lot of children and that makes a huge difference.

Have to remember this was a Christmas and New Years cruise so there’s going to be a lot of children and a lot of families.  You take the cards you are dealt.  

I had a good time until I was  kicked off the ship (medically - I wasn’t bad).

Jacqui what you say mades sense . We decided that on this ship we will only do Club Orange ,We do use the upgrade that comes with CO .We also do early booking HIA on long cruises .N3B Mexico /Hawaii as a example ,24 days . Each person can have a different experience in any restaurant even in the same night .  .Tamarind  was ok just nor as dood as we had previously experienced ,U did   not like some of the sauses ,I think it was the  ribs .It seemed to me that the  apps. were better when we dined on Eurodam .Tamarind  .it was my gut reaction to my  DW  .  Actually , this is why most people will say that food tastes & quality are very subjective . 

It just seems to me that the food was better pre covid than it is today   ,Although we enjoyed iir B2B Celebrity  cruise on Soltice in March from San Pedro port , it still lacked what we liked more pre covid .Additionally ,we can not go there any longer because the parking & other issues are quite crazy there.  

so as long as we get fair value we will continue with Holland  America &   hope in time we do see the pre covid experience come back 

One this for sure being in our mid 80s takes a toll that we are limited on what trips we do take health wise, whether cruise shi sailings ot land trips

Cliff 

16 hours ago, sue1898 said:

Based on the chart here: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/mariner-society.html

the 25% discount only applies to Pinnacle, Tamarind and Canaletto

Further down that chart, it shows 25% discount for Sel de Mer for 4 and 5 * Mariners.  We are  4* 😊

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Thanks 1