Manhattan cruise port parking

josephine678

Hi concerned if enough room to park at the Manhattan cruise terminal parking. We are leaving on the Joy Aug 6 but the Carnival Venezia also has a ship out from Aug 2 thru 10. The Carnival ship is quite large. Anyone recently had any issues with the parking. I have a elderly parent and this seems the closest. 

1 hour ago, josephine678 said:

Hi concerned if enough room to park at the Manhattan cruise terminal parking. We are leaving on the Joy Aug 6 but the Carnival Venezia also has a ship out from Aug 2 thru 10. The Carnival ship is quite large. Anyone recently had any issues with the parking. I have a elderly parent and this seems the closest. 

There's never been an issue when we've sailed out of MCT.

I'd imagine less people than ever park there now, with the price being a little crazy.

There are less expensive alternatives near by and car services are typically way less too.

You'll be fine!

31 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

There's never been an issue when we've sailed out of MCT.

I'd imagine less people than ever park there now, with the price being a little crazy.

There are less expensive alternatives near by and car services are typically way less too.

You'll be fine!

$45 for 24 hour parking is a bargain. The price for car service really depends on where you are coming from.

Edited by mjkacmom

Just now, mjkacmom said:

$45 for 24 hour parking is a bargain.

Not 7 days in a row!

That's $305 for the week.

My wife and I paid $60 less than that for door to door to and from Smithtown, LI  with a car service last summer and we're sharing a van with our nieces and nephews in 10 days and it'll cost my wife and I $170 roundtrip.

And, there's at least 3 places within "walking" distance of pier that charge less.

Lately, we've yet to see ... read or hear about any rooftop parking issues at Pier 88, MCT. 

Collage_2022-12-10_11_43_15.thumb.jpg.e8f80331c41b771c56fc302c5c9840e2.jpg

If and when it is full, they will open up rooftop parking next door at Pier 90, which can fit also fit hundreds of vehicles and that's seldom more than half full at most.  

Collage_2022-12-09_00_42_58.thumb.jpg.185aa6a1d243fbc41251abd0e46f4330.jpg

9 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Not 7 days in a row!

My wife and I paid $60 less than that for door to door to and from Smithtown, LI  with a car service last summer and we're sharing a van with our nieces and nephews in 10 days and it'll cost my wife and I $170 roundtrip.

And, there's at least 3 places within "walking" distance of pier that charge less.

I don’t know where the OP is coming from, maybe not from central LI (my daughter’s boyfriend is from smithtown). For my family it’s a wash, we are 10 miles west of Manhattan, but 7 of us, so a car service has always been around the same amount of $ as parking, we’ve done it both ways and prefer to drive and park.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

I don’t know where the OP is coming from, maybe not from central LI (my daughter’s boyfriend is from smithtown). For my family it’s a wash, we are 10 miles west of Manhattan, but 7 of us, so a car service has always been around the same amount of $ as parking, we’ve done it both ways and prefer to drive and park.

I've also done both and also from the Island (Huntington Station)-yes, parking is a bit more $, but the convenience of pull up-porter takes bags, park and just take elevator down was worth it.

Last time with the car service, dropping us off was not as close, and on pickup he had us meet him across 12th ave.

With an elderly parent, go for the parking.

They are not needed, but for peace of mind you can also make parking reservations on their website and be pre-paid. there is a little extra fee, but I just paid it.

The topic of parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, including whether it ever fills up, is frequently discussed in the East Coast Departures forum 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

See, e.g. 

MCT web site, with link to MCT parking reservations page:

https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even with two ships (before our cruise)  during February vacation there were still parking. spaces available for our cruise. I wouldn't show up at 8am bur rather 9:30-10 to make sure that the cars parked on the previous cruise have time to leave. 

The only time we were concerned about parking at the pier was when we sailed on one of the first trips on Prima. It was a one time. five night trip with another ship at the pier next door. I think we were there a little bit too early, about 9:15. They ended up having us park on the side of the ramp leading up to the lot. People who arrived a little later were able to park right in the lot once previous passengers left. I think the trip before ours was for press and travel agents.

Does anyone know if they regularly use the ramp for overflow parking? I was a little nervous about parking there, but it worked out. Our car was still there when we got back to NY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

Not 7 days in a row!

It comes out to $315.   How much is the total for the van and will it fit everyone or are you using two vans?   I am having trouble finding a decent rate to get 13 of us to the port next year leaving from Holtsville and/or Islip.  Otherwise, we will be three cars which will be $945 with this year's prices which, to me, is a lot.

15 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

It comes out to $315.   How much is the total for the van and will it fit everyone or are you using two vans?   I am having trouble finding a decent rate to get 13 of us to the port next year leaving from Holtsville and/or Islip.  Otherwise, we will be three cars which will be $945 with this year's prices which, to me, is a lot.

I'm so embarrassed with my math! Lmao 😂 

We are 13 in 2 vans and I was just informed that it's $85 per person round-trip and includes gratuity. 4 of the 13 are children 5 and younger so I don't know if they're part of the total. I'm guessing it's 9 x $85 = $765. 

My nephew arranged it so I don't know the company but it's someone he does business with. 

And, we're all meeting in Deer Park. 

4 hours ago, ngrund said:

Last time with the car service, dropping us off was not as close, and on pickup he had us meet him across 12th ave.

With an elderly parent, go for the parking.

A significant concern - when you have many hundreds (if not thousands) of debarking passengers trying to connect with cars coming to pick them up, MCT is a dog’s breakfast.

Only issue I had a MCT was parking under a light pole and having seagull poop on the car. Even tipped the Porter upfront to take the bags up the elevator to the parking deck. 

Even from the oceanview cabin, you don't see the ocean, just parked cars. 

3 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Only issue I had a MCT was parking under a light pole and having seagull poop on the car. Even tipped the Porter upfront to take the bags up the elevator to the parking deck. 

I don't know why, but I actually like being able to see my car from the ship. You can get a view of cars and the Intrepid aircraft carrier on one side of the ship. If you go to the front of the ship you can see the Hudson River better. 

6 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

You wouldn’t see the ocean from any cabin when the ship is docked at the MCT, because it’s sitting in the Hudson River. 😊

3 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I don't know why, but I actually like being able to see my car from the ship. You can get a view of cars and the Intrepid aircraft carrier on one side of the ship. If you go to the front of the ship you can see the Hudson River better. 

I suppose it may vary, but every time I’ve been on a ship docked at the MCT, the bow  (“front of the ship”) has faced Manhattan, the stern has faced the Hudson. 

• Haha 1