MIA to Ft Lauderdale hotel/cruiseport

dawnvip

DH and I are flying into MIA (direct flight) on a Sunday afternoon and are planning on staying in Ft Lauderdale for 2 nights before boarding our cruise.

I'm looking for transfer suggestions - Uber quotes $150, and I'm fairly sure a taxi would be just as expensive. Are there transfer shuttles or train service from MIA to the Las Olas area?  

You could use the Metroliner from MIA to the Brightline Train Station in Miami. Then hop on the Brightline Train to the Fort Lauderdale Train Station. Then an Uber ,Lyft or cab to your hotel. A lot cheaper than a hundred fifty dollar fare.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

That seems awful high for Uber. Did you use the estimating feature on the website? Cab should be half that...Uber probably around $60

That sounds much more reasonable! I used the "reserve" feature on the Uber app using the same flight number but as a "dummy" reservation since our flight isn't until the fall.

Brightline (as mentioned above), or for $5, get on the Tri-Rail from MIA to one of the two Fort Lauderdale stations (the first one is at Griffin Road <airport station> and the other is at Broward Blvd), then just Uber from the station to the hotel. 

Tri-Rail takes just under 1 hour from the airport to the Fort Lauderdale station(s), and runs every hour on a weekday (weekend schedule is a little different).  Brightline times vary, and is 30-35 minutes from the Miami station to the Fort Lauderdale station + factor in the transit time from the Metrorail to Brightline Miami.

Edited by brunello22
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Uber probably around $60

I agree with @CruiserBruce.  I used Lyft last November from the Port Everglades pier 26 to MIA and it was about $60 even with an added stop to pick up some drive through lunch!  That or Uber or taxi is what I'll use next time going from MIA to Ft. Lauderdale hotel pre cruise. Easy, no dragging luggage to the train, etc.!!!

~Nancy

• Like 2

Thanks for your insights! I'll just order an uber when we arrive and see what the price is. 

I don't mind spending the money for the speed and convenience, but also hoping not to spend hundreds of $ for a transfer. Worst case scenario we can take the train.