$100,000 for a Bottle of Wine! Just, Why?

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I said earlier that I would bring, what I considered, a very good bottle of wine on my next sailing in a month, not thinking there is no way I would pack and pray that the bottle would withstand a 14 hour travel day by vehicle, plane and taxi... 

Fortunately, I have a few buddies who are wine connoisseurs, IMO, who will spend a day or so with me to purchase a few good bottles of Spanish wines to bring with us... at a price point I can live with.. and drink!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage 

Have them look at Portuguese wines while you’re at it…

• Thanks 1

Here is a question for all of you wine experts out there.  I have tossed around the idea of aging cabs for a while now.

How much should I spend on a wine chiller?  Can I get away with a 32 bottle chiller in the $500 range or should I just go for the 32 bottle Subzero?  I think that I know the answer,  but thought I would ask anyways.

16 minutes ago, rubens said:

Instead of putting that amount of money in their inventory X better should use it to improve their food quality! 🍷 for  🍽️

I will go for good wine every time!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

55 minutes ago, markeb said:

Have them look at Portuguese wines while you’re at it…

x100

My favourite wines and vastly underrated.

The Douro wine region valley is the oldest demarcated wine region in the world.

Some fabulous wines at great prices - much like the country itself which is a great value for money place to visit and much, much nicer than their noisier neighbour.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I said earlier that I would bring, what I considered, a very good bottle of wine on my next sailing in a month, not thinking there is no way I would pack and pray that the bottle would withstand a 14 hour travel day by vehicle, plane and taxi... 

Bo,  I was gifted a bottle of Veuve Cliquot onboard my recent TA in May. Last night of cruise packed it in a wine bag put between clothes in my case. Picked up next morning at Rotterdam terminal while walking to taxi to take to Amsterdam I tripped and case fell over. Panic attack. Hauled into taxi enroute Amsterdam with others peoples luggage. Up and down several flights of stairs in hotel plus 2 flight connections back to Toronto Canada.  Survived thousands of miles of traveling.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Bo,  I was gifted a bottle of Veuve Cliquot onboard my recent TA in May. Last night of cruise packed it in a wine bag put between clothes in my case. Picked up next morning at Rotterdam terminal while walking to taxi to take to Amsterdam I tripped and case fell over. Panic attack. Hauled into taxi enroute Amsterdam with others peoples luggage. Up and down several flights of stairs in hotel plus 2 flight connections back to Toronto Canada.  Survived thousands of miles of traveling.  

d2 - that is great to hear!!!

For some reason I do not mind flying to Florida with bottles in my suitcase, but flying overseas and with baggage handlers and luggage carousels in places that I Am not familiar with, just scares me a bit for a prized bottle...

A <$50 bottle, not a problem, much more than that, I would sweat!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

@Bo1953 you can use wine wings to protect your wine.  I have done this many times transporting wine back from Europe.  However I get your point.  Much over 50 and I would be a little nervous also.

I live close to the Niagara wine region  and have some excellent wine insulated bags. Packed with clothing around seemed to do the trick.  But yes I was nervous and enjoyed the 🍾 champagne even more. Opened for DH's birthday last month.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I often watch the YouTube videos of Konstantin Baum and I recommend them.  Baum is a "Master of Wine", and it's my understanding that there are fewer all-time Masters of Wine than astronauts who have gone into space.  The guy is entertaining and really knows his stuff.  He can usually taste a wine and tell you what it is, where it's from (pretty specifically), which grapes have been used, and perhaps even the vintage.

Baum is German and for those unaware, the average price of wine in Germany is roughly $2.50 USD per bottle.  I can still recall that, during my first trip to Paris, I ordered a takeout sandwich.  They asked if I wanted a bottle of water or a bottle of wine.  I took the wine, partially because it was cheaper than a bottle of water.

I'm paraphrasing Baum, but he states that there's a price to quality ratio where the price and quality of the wine increases at about the same rate up to about 50-60 USD, roughly.  After that, the price increases exponentially while the quality tends to increase minimally, at a much slower rate versus the price.  So the suggestion is that there are many very good to excellent wines in the $50-$60 per bottle range, and below, and while you can spend *a lot* more, perhaps you aren't getting the best bang for your buck.

In fact, last night the GF and I attended a "Bastille Day" wine paring dinner with wines from Domaines Ott, which actually owns 3 wineries.  Included was their Château Romassan Rouge ($90 per bottle from Bandol), their Mireille Blanc de Blancs ($70 from Côtes de Provence), their Château de Selle Rosé ($60 per bottle also from Côtes de Provence), and a cheaper Rosé.  While I very much enjoyed their wines, I could find wines that I preferred quite easily for a much lower price.  Obviously, I'm taking about wines that are $60-$90 per bottle, not $100,000 per bottle.

For anyone interested, here's a video where he tries to tell the difference between cheaper and more expensive wines.  For those interested in wine, you might consider subscribing to him and watching some of his other videos.  I have probably watched most of them.
Konstantin Baum Master of Wine

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

After reading this thread, I am very happy that my unrefined taste buds allow me to enjoy wines that are sold at a much more reasonable price point. 

dk - what is that 'price point'???  LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

@Bo1953 you can use wine wings to protect your wine.  I have done this many times transporting wine back from Europe.  However I get your point.  Much over 50 and I would be a little nervous also.

Yes--this is what I used for the 2 bottles I brought onto the Millie last summer.  Survived the flight from NJ to Anchorage the ride down to Seward, and even the 8hrs our bag was 'misplaced' when we boarded.  And those bottles are sliiiightly more than $50, so was sweating bullets for a while.  But all's well that ends well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Here is a question for all of you wine experts out there.  I have tossed around the idea of aging cabs for a while now.

How much should I spend on a wine chiller?  Can I get away with a 32 bottle chiller in the $500 range or should I just go for the 32 bottle Subzero?  I think that I know the answer,  but thought I would ask anyways.

Size will depend on how frequently you'll open a bottle and the time you want to age them.  Personally I think it's better to go one size larger on capacity so you can grow into it; nothing more frustrating than dropping cash on something and quickly outgrowing it.  

Time to age depends on which region the wine is from and how it's built (some built for early accessibility and some only for the long haul).  The former can drink well at, say, 5yrs+ while the latter may not be approachable for 15-20yrs.  Much of this is down to personal preference though--I love my cabs with some (but not too much fruit) and some secondary and early tertiary characteristics.  Too much fruit and/or too much dryness/ceder/tobacco is a no-go for moi.  But to each their own.

I LOVE Subzero, but there is absolutely NO reason to spend that kind of money on a small unit unless it matches your other appliances.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

dk - what is that 'price point'???  LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

I normally go for wines that are $40 - $60 with an upper end of $100.  

However, I have found a number of wines in the $20 - $30 range that I thoroughly enjoy.  These are from a local vineyard, 868 Estate Vineyards or from Coopers-Hawk. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

However, I have found a number of wines in the $20 - $30 range that I thoroughly enjoy.  These are from a local vineyard, 868 Estate Vineyards or from Coopers-Hawk. 

I will have to try and track down your recommendations...

Cheers and bon voyage

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I do the same but now only purchase delisted wines at 20 to 30% off.  The most I'll spend is $80 for a $100 bottle of wine.  

• Thanks 1

Other options/opinions for drinking red wine on board:

1. They will decant wines on board if you ask - would go to the head sommelier at a dining venue and ask for your wine to be decanted 30-45 minutes before arrival.

2. Bring an aerator - would NOT use to make a young Opus One taste like it had aged 10+ years, but it will help most tannic red wines ( Cab Sauvignon, Malbec, Syrah/Shiraz, Barolo/Barbaresco ) soften and open up some. Again, would NOT use on an expensive wine less with less than 3 years of bottle age, you won't reap the benefits of extended ageing ( if you like those benefits).

Big point here: 95+% of red wines are meant to be consumed within 5 years of bottling, if not sooner. Extended ageing of classic Bordeaux/Burgundy/California Cab Sauvignon reaps interesting tasting benefits, a smooth, long tasting experience being high on many lists( less tannins, less acidity, complex fruit). 90% of those wines' tasting experience can be had with 5-10 years of bottle age and decanting.

3. Ask the sommeliers what is tasting well given a description of what you like. The good wine stewards will be glad to guide your palate to some wonderful wines. ( This may be asking a lot of Celebrity's staff, but worth a try).

Personal recommendation for wine to bring aboard: ANYTHING red from K Vintners in Washington state.( $40-80+ range)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many won't like to hear this but: With this kind of item, Celebrity hopes to find a rich person/couple in the final stage of life who just wants to say "screw it" and order the bottle to enjoy, and celebrate life.

I've seen people doing crazier things with (a lot more) money when they know that time is running out.

On 7/17/2023 at 12:06 AM, Stockjock said:

For anyone interested, here's a video where he tries to tell the difference between cheaper and more expensive wines.  For those interested in wine, you might consider subscribing to him and watching some of his other videos.  I have probably watched most of them.
Konstantin Baum Master of Wine

I enjoy Konstantin's videos. I also love to watch "Wineking"  with Jay and Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the most expensive bottle of wine anyone has purchased in:

1. a store?

2. a restaurant?

3. a cruise ship?

I will start:

1. $50 at Safeway

2. $100 for a birthday dinner

3. $60 since we were desperate for something better

1 hour ago, 65Mommy said:

1. a store?

2. a restaurant?

3. a cruise ship?

I will start:

1. $50 at Safeway

2. $100 for a birthday dinner

3. $60 since we were desperate for something better

1.  $80  in a store 

2.  $ 0 at a restaurant 

3. $  0 on a cruise ship.

12 hours ago, 65Mommy said:

1. a store?

2. a restaurant?

3. a cruise ship?

I plead the 5th, your honor, on the grounds that my answer would lead to a VERY expensive divorce!  😇

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I plead the 5th, your honor, on the grounds that my answer would lead to a VERY expensive divorce!  😇

👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

I Am in the same wine cellar.... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage