Decisions for Cabo San Lucas/Puerto Vallarta

ajtraveler66

We always enjoy just walking around areas relatively near the port and taking time to 'people watch', shop, and go to a decent restaurant.  Of course, not all ports are always condusive for that. (Safety...or not much to offer). ....  We also enjoy doing a 'resort day' at a beach hotel and taking advantages of all of the amenities that it has to offer. 

We will be in Cabo San Lucas from 11am - 7pm.  The next day we will be in Puerto Vallarta from 12noon - 9pm.  FYI:  Cabo is a TENDER port, and Puerto Vallarta is not.

With this information ... and assuming that you have been to these places --  Which port would you choose for your 'resort day'.  And which port would you choose for your 'walk-around' and enjoy the port day?  Our cruise ship (NCL Bliss in January) apparently will be offering a resort excursion at both of the ports. 

Thanks so much.

P.S.  We will also be in Acapulco a few days later.  We plan to pick an excursion that includes the cliff divers  (we understand that Acapulco is not what it used to be when it comes to safety).

• Like 1

We visit these ports (Cabo & Puerto Vallarta) often during our Mexican Riviera cruises.

We prefer to walk-around both of these and so easy to do. Cabo an easy tender and Puerto Vallarta we take a taxi to the Malecon. You should have no concern about safety but I'll agree with you about Acapulco.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

We always enjoy just walking around areas relatively near the port and taking time to 'people watch', shop, and go to a decent restaurant.  Of course, not all ports are always condusive for that. (Safety...or not much to offer). ....  We also enjoy doing a 'resort day' at a beach hotel and taking advantages of all of the amenities that it has to offer. 

We will be in Cabo San Lucas from 11am - 7pm.  The next day we will be in Puerto Vallarta from 12noon - 9pm.  FYI:  Cabo is a TENDER port, and Puerto Vallarta is not.

With this information ... and assuming that you have been to these places --  Which port would you choose for your 'resort day'.  And which port would you choose for your 'walk-around' and enjoy the port day?  Our cruise ship (NCL Bliss in January) apparently will be offering a resort excursion at both of the ports. 

Thanks so much.

P.S.  We will also be in Acapulco a few days later.  We plan to pick an excursion that includes the cliff divers  (we understand that Acapulco is not what it used to be when it comes to safety).

I've been to these ports many, many times. If it were me, which it will be in October, I would do the resort day in Puerto Vallarta and the walk around day in Cabo San Lucas.

Here's my reasons why: PV only has a little shopping area just outside where you dock, there are only a few restaurants if that. Really not much to do on your own. This is the port to do an excursion or get a taxi to the Malecon.

In Cabo, after the short tender ride, there are many shops and restaurants along the marina area.This is the place I would just walk around, shop and grab some drinks & food.

I hope that helps and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Which port would you choose for your 'resort day'.

Cabo would be my choice for a "resort day" if you mean simply hanging out and going to the beach as there is more to do in PV in my opinion.  That said, I would defer to others on what hotels to use if you are truly referring to getting a day pass for a resort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Cabo would be my choice for a "resort day" if you mean simply hanging out and going to the beach as there is more to do in PV in my opinion.  That said, I would defer to others on what hotels to use if you are truly referring to getting a day pass for a resort.

I agree with this.  Way more to see in Puerto Vallarta than Cabo.  Cabo even walking the beach you are always approached to buy drugs.   We've never had that happen in PV. 

27 minutes ago, pppiglet said:

I agree with this.  Way more to see in Puerto Vallarta than Cabo.  Cabo even walking the beach you are always approached to buy drugs.   We've never had that happen in PV. 

My own preferred day in Cabo, if I was on a cruise, would be to simply take some towels from the ship, head to the part of Medano Beach that is at the harbor entrance/jetty.  Head down to one of the restaurants - e.g., office, mango deck, etc - for lunch.   Maybe spend some more time on the beach and then head back to the ship.  You can also hit one of the bars just after the entrance to the harbor walking path.  I like the bars at the end as they are a little more relaxed than those in the heart of the harbor.

BTW - I don't like to sit on the sand on Medano Beach at any of the restaurants/bars as the vendors become annoying to me after a while.