Why is American Diner a specialty ?

MtnGolf4

22 hours ago, MtnGolf4 said:

I'm wondering why the American Diner is a Pay Restaurant on the Breakaway Class ships.

We we're on the Joy back in January of 2020. Every time we went by the American Diner it was always dead, with very few customers if any.

I've seen many videos of these ships and the American Diner is never busy. Seems like such a wasted area that should be at least Complimentary as I look at prices compared to other restaurants on the ships.

Because they can.

Seriously, though, they used to serve a pretty good lobster roll.  Not quite up to Bangor or Halifax quality, but an enjoyable change of pace for those of us from "away."  I'm not sure that I would pay extra for it though.  The only time we ever ate there was when the GM comped us.

they could easily make the american diner a complimentary venue, but they would likely have to change the menu, eliminating some of the items with a higher food cost. outdoor burger, fries and hot dog joints already exist on several NCL ships, albeit without the kitschy decor and branding.

oh, I suppose they’d also have to figure out what to do about haven restaurant overcrowding on embarkation day.

Edited by UKstages

American Diner has been through a few iterations.  At one point, you could actually get breakfast there for free.

I just think they can’t quite nail down a concept that works.  Personally, I think remove the “specialty dining” moniker and serve nothing but Nachos, Hot dogs, Burgers and fries there.  Could be the same as they serve in the garden cafe.  But, it’s close proximity to the arcade might  make it work.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

remove the “specialty dining” moniker and serve nothing but Nachos, Hot dogs, Burgers and fries there . . . it’s close proximity to the arcade might  make it work.

Oh that would definitely work.   But not in the way NCL would want it to "work."

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Hoping to find it on our next cruise,  getaway in October. 

The lifeboat decks port and starboard have a shuffleboard on the Getaway.

The wife and I had good fun playing it for the first time a few weeks ago on it.

Also the American Diner was empty anytime we walked by it, and became a bit of joke during the 9 days of why it is offered as an option as it was clearly not appealing to those onboard.

Edited by WexIrl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Encore. No shuffleboard, no churrascaria, but plenty of room for a go-kart track.

If you're on the ship now, try the go carts.  They are a lot of fun.  Amazing actually, while you're sailing at sea to be able to drive the go carts seeing the water.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WexIrl said:

The lifeboat decks port and starboard have a shuffleboard on the Getaway.

The wife and I had good fun playing it for the first time a few weeks ago on it.

Also the American Diner was empty anytime we walked by it, and became a bit of joke during the 9 days of why it is offered as an option as it was clearly not appealing to those onboard.

Thanks so much for the shuffleboard info. It’s our favorite pre dinner vacation game.  Is the putt putt golf still gone?  Having that back would be ideal.  

20 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

NCL charges for the gokarts. 

May splurge on a ride for the kids, but if it's so great, NCL would include one ride free for every cabin, and then make money on the repeat visits. I generally refuse to do up-charge stuff after I've already paid a fortune for a vacation.

3 minutes ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Thanks so much for the shuffleboard info. It’s our favorite pre dinner vacation game.  Is the putt putt golf still gone?  Having that back would be ideal.  

Unfortunately the putt golf is still gone.

I would have enjoyed that too if it was still there! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

May splurge on a ride for the kids, but if it's so great, NCL would include one ride free for every cabin, and then make money on the repeat visits. I generally refuse to do up-charge stuff after I've already paid a fortune for a vacation.

Then you should be grateful that there is so much up-charge stuff.

Think of the money that saves you.

15 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

May splurge on a ride for the kids, but if it's so great, NCL would include one ride free for every cabin, and then make money on the repeat visits

Seems like it would take the whole cruise to fit in free rides for all cabins with no time left for repeat visits.