Why is American Diner a specialty ?

MtnGolf4

I'm wondering why the American Diner is a Pay Restaurant on the Breakaway Class ships.

We we're on the Joy back in January of 2020. Every time we went by the American Diner it was always dead, with very few customers if any.

I've seen many videos of these ships and the American Diner is never busy. Seems like such a wasted area that should be at least Complimentary as I look at prices compared to other restaurants on the ships.

• Like 3

No idea, as it replaced Margaritaville on all NCL ships I believe.  The food isn't terrible, but not better than you can find anywhere else on the ship.  In the American market, it is just a flop.  No idea if it did better when it was in the Asian market.

My bet is they will replace it at some point.  Perhaps during the drydock next year, when they hopefully take out the silly Arcade and put in a Thermal Spa or something better (and don't get me started on the likely Observation Lounge debacle!)

Edited by scooter6139
mispelling
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Somebody said they were doing the overflow included-breakfast there, so the space isn't completely wasted.  Has anybody else seen interesting comings and goings with that "un-special" restaurant?

They have in the past done that, and I heard they are possibly doing it again with just the same small take and go breakfast, but no one knows about it as it isn't put in the announcements anywhere (I loved getting breakfast sandwiches there on Joy pre-pandemic).  It was listed on the Joy back in the day, but haven't seen it listed as a breakfast option on Encore nor Bliss (I forgot to go check, as we were just on Bliss).  American Diner was dead every time we went by.

11 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

They have in the past done that, and I heard they are possibly doing it again with just the same small take and go breakfast, but no one knows about it as it isn't put in the announcements anywhere (I loved getting breakfast sandwiches there on Joy pre-pandemic).  It was listed on the Joy back in the day, but haven't seen it listed as a breakfast option on Encore nor Bliss (I forgot to go check, as we were just on Bliss).  American Diner was dead every time we went by.

It's listed currently in the dailies on Joy. 

Live reviewer posted pics this week. 

I was on Escape when it first launched, and it was Margaritaville. The lines were around the deck - sometimes an hour to sit. We were the last sailing for it to be an included venue. Been on Bliss twice as American Diner and it has been d-e-a-d. The food is definitely better than the main dining rooms/buffet, so they're ordering special ingredients for this place, but not sure how it stays open!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

It's listed currently in the dailies on Joy. 

Live reviewer posted pics this week. 

Which I find odd, as Joy is not the only ship it is on and could use more "attention" to those seeking breakfast.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

on the breakaway when it was first built it was a free venue called uptown grill. i wish they brought this back..the whole Margaritaville , American grill pay restaurant is a flop

Yes, and on Getaway it was the a free venue too.  (I think it was Flamingo Grill?)

Both changed to Margaritaville for awhile.

It's a great covered outdoor venue that I'm amazed they haven't done more with. It is definitely a waste as a paid 'American Diner'. Utilizing them for a complimentary overflow breakfast bar is helpful, but just imagine if they would add a complimentary lunch burgers & salads.   Less stress on the buffet.

58 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Which I find odd, as Joy is not the only ship it is on and could use more "attention" to those seeking breakfast.

When we were last on the Escape while they still had Margaritaville, they did have  breakfast available every morning as the Joy does now.  So I would think the American Diner on the Escape has breakfast options too.

• Like 2

On the Escape when it first launched it was a free venue that offered Cuban food in keeping with the ships Miami theming. It was so good!

And it also offered a morning buffet of hot and cold items that was a nice place to eat a quiet Al fresco breakfast.

I wondered this too. The only conclusion I came to is that the “American Diner” might be a novelty of sorts to non Americans. My wife is Asian and we live in a small town in New York where diners are common. When her family comes here they love it. It’s a very American experience that they have seen in movies and don’t really have a comparable thing in their country. I could be wrong but that’s the only conclusion I came to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

For some reason the activity most synonymous with cruise ships doesn't exist on the Encore.

Seriously?  Or are you just playing around...  On 10 cruises, the thought of playing shuffleboard has never crossed my mind, nor have I ever seen it played (not that I was looking for it, obviously). I guess we just have very different mindsets when it comes to cruising.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I guess we just have very different mindsets when it comes to cruising.

The only thing I know about cruising is what I’ve seen on The Love Boat.  All my life I just had heard it was a cruise staple.  It looks like fun.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Seriously?  Or are you just playing around...  On 10 cruises, the thought of playing shuffleboard has never crossed my mind, nor have I ever seen it played (not that I was looking for it, obviously). I guess we just have very different mindsets when it comes to cruising.

I guessing you've only been on the newer ships. On the Jewel Class (my favs), people play shuffleboard all the time on the promenade deck. Those of us walking the deck casually or for exercise sometimes have to dodge the sliding pucks/shuckles.

13 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I guessing you've only been on the newer ships. 

I guess if you call the Sun a newer ship.  😄  But honestly, the only thing I associate with shuffleboard is my late-uncle's basement.

3 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Wow, I didn’t know folks on this board came from such wealth! Did he have a bowling alley down there as well?

No, but his aquariums were insane.  Two walls of tanks, probably 20 of them. He was a unique individual.  🙃

• Like 1

Not that I’m trying to bring the convo back on track but if NCL is listening please make American Diner complimentary…would greatly help crowd control and is such a cute place to eat that no one wants to pay extra for. 
O/T I love playing shuffleboard on cruise ships!  Couldn’t find it on the Joy in feb but was certain it was there on a previous cruise.  Hoping to find it on our next cruise,  getaway in October. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RB9643 said:

I guess if you call the Sun a newer ship.  😄  But honestly, the only thing I associate with shuffleboard is my late-uncle's basement.

I've been on the Sun and shuffleboard is a definite activity. I guess you prefer more energetic activities! 🙂

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction