Why is American Diner a specialty ?

MtnGolf4

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Only the limited breakfast is free from 8am until 11:30am. 

8 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Since my breakfast typically consists of two chocolate croissants and coffee, that would suffice.

It would.

It's a great alternative area for breakfast and it's open until 11:30am.

On Joy last summer, I had a couple of mornings that after going to the gym and showering, I'd stop by American Diner and make a plate on my way out to my lounge chair on deck 17.

I'd relax, have a snack and watch the ocean go by. Very soothing!

Sailing Joy again in 7 days so I hope to rinse and repeat! Lmao!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Then you should be grateful that there is so much up-charge stuff.

Think of the money that saves you.

Yep, if the kids aren't happy with the included kiddy-land area they can find a job on board washing dishes and earn their own money if they want any of that extra silliness.

As for me, I'd trade the entire go-kart track for a single shuffleboard court.

6 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

There’s a free breakfast buffet out in the mornings, but then for lunch it is a specialty with a charge. I thought it was also open for dinner but I noticed on our last day yesterday it wasn’t. I have to look at all the Dailies to see if the specialty menu is lunch only. We never ended up doing it. A lot of the menu you could get at The Local or MDR 🤷🏻‍♀️. Aside from breakfast, I hardly saw anyone in there.

Edited to add: on embarkation day, it’s free for lunch for Haven guests

Edited by Dorhead1230

RCCI had a burger joint similar to American Dinner except it was no charge.  It became a popular hangout for teens.  In fact, so popular RCCI changed it to a fee based place.  Perhaps NCL could make it into a hangout for teens during the day.  Free of course.  Simple stuff.  Burgers, hot dogs, pizza, fries.  Charge for soft drinks.  Give the kids something to do.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WexIrl said:

Also the American Diner was empty anytime we walked by it, and became a bit of joke during the 9 days of why it is offered as an option as it was clearly not appealing to those onboard.

On Breakaway last month American Diner was only open on "sea days", which was 1 out of 11 nights cruise.  Weird rule. Maybe same for you, it was empty as it was actually closed (it wasn't obvious to me until I went in and asked)

5 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Why are people still throwing out ideas? I'd thought we settled this. I've already got the promo photos for the replacement ready below.

image.thumb.jpeg.1abe741b8c879c065c6683a79749a8c7.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.d8ab1b583c996b049fdb51079799c68c.jpeg

Lol…it would definitely be a good replacement for American Diner (except I do think AD is a good overflow breakfast area). I started laughing when I saw this because when we were done eating at Q on the Joy, I said to DH and mom, “Maybe they can get rid of this place and put in a Moderno during dry dock? At least Los Lobos? Literally anything else?” 😅

• Like 1

I'm in the Flamingo Grill club...I'll always have that in my heart. The free breakfast with Cuban options was the best and was so much better than going to the buffet each morning.

However...what they really need to do is turn it into a free/included pizza place. I love NCL, but one of the big things they are lacking that every other line has is pizza. I just sailed Princess for the first time (and probably the last)...I didn't care for it, but I can say the pizza place was great! Carnival even has a 24/7 pizzeria (about the only thing they do correctly 😂), so I don't understand why NCL only has sad pizza on the buffet. I think this concept would do very well (even if it was for a small fee TBH).

• Like 3

I agree that the American Diner should either be free or just get rid of it. On the cruises I have been on, there is rarely anyone in there. If you want a burger you can go to either the buffet or O'Sheehans/The Local. 

I'm no expert, but seems like there is so much more they can do with that space. 

• Like 3

This is American Diner in 2015.  This is what existed before Margaritaville at sea and was original to the design by Kevin Sheehan. This is the last time that space was complimentary.  

the food was pretty much the same!! 

FF8E19B4-16D7-434C-83D3-23DA663BD3C1.jpeg

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Does anyone think American Dinner is big enough to host that a Moderno?

Maybe.  I think the issue with that is the salad bar.  It gets windy up there.  I can see fresh salad items blowing all around the area.  Might be fun trying to stab a beet with a fork mid-air, though! 

All day breakfast restaurant, maybe?

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Maybe.  I think the issue with that is the salad bar.  It gets windy up there.  I can see fresh salad items blowing all around the area.  Might be fun trying to stab a beet with a fork mid-air, though! 

All day breakfast restaurant, maybe?

Nor is there room for a salad bar.  The PIzza place sounds good.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Nor is there room for a salad bar.  The PIzza place sounds good.  

You don't win friends with salad.

And pizza places are a dime-a-dozen.
I vote no.

Edited by MacGuffin3

On 7/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, tsahall01 said:

Maybe they should change it to Indulge Food Hall--very popular, free venue on the Prima and soon to be Viva

great idea, but impractical. the space is not large enough to accommodate even half of the number of food stations in the current incarnation of the indulge food hall. and it would leave virtually no room for seating… and we know how committed NCL is to providing seating for anybody who wishes to indulge.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

However...what they really need to do is turn it into a free/included pizza place. I love NCL, but one of the big things they are lacking that every other line has is pizza. I just sailed Princess for the first time (and probably the last)...I didn't care for it, but I can say the pizza place was great!

@zackarykeef - I totally agree, dedicated, quality pizza place on NCL is a must - and it would indeed fill the niche of all-day quick bites and late night option.

Funny, though, I just did my first Princess cruise last month.  The pizza was outstanding...and actually loved the entire ship/experience.  We're planning our next Princess ASAP.

38 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@zackarykeef - I totally agree, dedicated, quality pizza place on NCL is a must - and it would indeed fill the niche of all-day quick bites and late night option.

Funny, though, I just did my first Princess cruise last month.  The pizza was outstanding...and actually loved the entire ship/experience.  We're planning our next Princess ASAP.

I agree with you on the pizza. I'm not a huge pizza fan but I definitely eat pizza at Alfredo's Pizzeria for multiple lunches when we sail on a Princess ship that has that venue.  I love their seafood pizza.  

Were you on one of Princess' newer ship (Royal class)?  I looked at zackarykeef's signature and it looks like they sailed on the Crown Princess; I imagine that ship would not impress given the other ships that they appear to have sailed in recent years are much newer and more modern than the Crown Princess.  If you were on a Royal class ship, that likely explains why you seem to be more impressed by what Princess had to offer than they were.  

1 minute ago, minabruuke said:

I looked at zackarykeef's signature and it looks like they sailed on the Crown Princess;

Nope, I was on an 'older' ship, the Emerald, but was impressed by their food (pizza!), the International Cafe, way, way better drinks package, and greater number of pools and outside loungers. 

(Apologies to the NCL friends on this board, I'm digressing about Princess, sorry).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Nope, I was on an 'older' ship, the Emerald, but was impressed by their food (pizza!), the International Cafe, way, way better drinks package, and greater number of pools and outside loungers. 

(Apologies to the NCL friends on this board, I'm digressing about Princess, sorry).

I know almost nothing about Princess, why do you think their drinks package was way better?  The premier looks similar or worse than the Premium Plus to me selection wise

49 minutes ago, chillyw said:

I know almost nothing about Princess, why do you think their drinks package was way better?  The premier looks similar or worse than the Premium Plus to me selection wise

I can't speak to wines, but for cocktails, they had more mid-shelf items in the plan.  Plus, the plan included specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, smoothies, bottles of water, and yes, actual entire cans of soda if you wanted them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I can't speak to wines, but for cocktails, they had more mid-shelf items in the plan.  Plus, the plan included specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, smoothies, bottles of water, and yes, actual entire cans of soda if you wanted them.

The princess package is $420 it looks like if you compare with and without. 

On the Escape in June, the American Diner was open most days for continental breakfast.  It was only open three other times as the pay restaurant, embarkation, and the two sea days, otherwise it was closed.  We ate there once on a sea day and it was nothing to write home about.  People have raved about the milkshakes, but they were thin and nothing special.