Just booked my first cruise!

JVes

Our first Cruise was in 1969 on the Ellinis on what was called a No Where Cruise.

Friday Evening to Monday 8AM just cruised in international waters.

I still can remember certain parts of the Sailing.

Remembered the First QE2 in 1983....She came in Late and we sailed out around Midnight.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Our first Cruise was in 1969 on the Ellinis on what was called a No Where Cruise.

Friday Evening to Monday 8AM just cruised in international waters.

I still can remember certain parts of the Sailing.

Remembered the First QE2 in 1983....She came in Late and we sailed out around Midnight.

Must have been one epic first cruise to not have remembered parts of it. Just be happy social media and smart phones weren’t everywhere during those days or you may have never lived that one down.

my 30th birthday in Vegas has video evidence of some moments I don’t really remember… thanks mom lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 5:26 AM, JVes said:

JUST BOOKED MY FIRST CRUISE!

And I am SO excited. And collecting all the cruise advice I've found. And SO EXCITED (just in case I hadn't mentioned that).

I don't usually visit the first-time-cruisers section of these boards, but I happened to do so, and discovered your post.  I have to say, just as the other responders no doubt feei, your excitement is infectious!  You appear to have done your due diligence and have made some wise choices.  My fingers on both hands are crossed that it's the experience of a lifetime for you.

The irony, for me, is that you are cruising out of a land I would dearly love to visit, again.  From 1998 to 2001, I was on the staff of the U. S. Navy's Commander, SEVENTH Fleet in the Pacific, and made several trips to Australia.  All over.  Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne (where I lost money at the dog track, heh), Sydney (where I did the bridge-climb!), Brisbane.  Of all the lands I've visited, Australia was the most endearing.  Glorious country with the warmest people.

I'm long retired now, and travelling back to your country would be on my own nickel and time-consuming.  But, someday, if I can talk the Good Mrs. Benson into it, we'll take that plunge.

Good and safe travels, ma'am, with my wishes for a wonderful voyage.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 4:28 AM, JVes said:

I have two little black dresses

Ick.  About 90% of the ladies in the MDR will be wearing "little black dresses", which are dull as dirt.  Treat yourself to some of the lovely colors that God provided and the fashion industry tailored.  

On 7/16/2023 at 4:28 AM, JVes said:

I need to wear prescription shoes.

I feel your pain.  A couple ideas: 

- Wear little flat Keds with casual dresses; well I can do that because I wear inserts /not full prescription shoes. 

- Consider a maxi skirt, which will cover your shoes.  

- Pants for ladies are perfectly acceptable in the MDR, and your shoes might "fit in better" with them. 

On 7/16/2023 at 5:57 AM, broadwaybaby123 said:

It's funny you should be posting this thread now, I'm watching YouTube and came across this video that might be useful for beginners.  Although it's for Royal Caribbean, many of the tips can be applied to other cruise lines.

You Tube is GREAT for first time cruisers.  It's also great for us old cruisers who want to check up on the amenities of a specific ship or catch a glimpse of our cabin ahead of time.  

On 7/25/2023 at 12:56 AM, JVes said:

The love of Vegemite is what makes a person an Aussie.

Years ago I hosted a Visiting International Faculty teacher from Australia, and she treated me and all her classes to a taste of vegemite.  Turns out NONE OF US are Australian!  But I was happy to have tried it. 

On 7/27/2023 at 2:21 AM, John Bull said:

Do you get car-sick?

Air-sick?

Have you had experience of sailing the ocean?

Speaking only for myself, I sometimes get car sick or air sick, but I've never had a single bad moment on a cruise ship.  Small boats that you might take on a snorkeling excursion are another story!  

One of my theories is that if you bring along medicine, you'll not need it.  While it certainly lacks scientific verification, it's proven true for me.

• Like 1

I craft. I have some gorgeous (if I say so myself) hand-knitted or hand-crocheted scarves and shawls. I use the dress as background, and the hand-made pieces as foreground. Having a neutral background allows me to accessorise as I please. Jewelry and hairstyles (with decorated hair) are also fun.

So yes, I have the LDB, but I try not to be dull with it.

As for the shoes, I have a plan to go back to the 'medical' shoe shop and get some shoes which are suitable for 'dressing up'. But that's not happening very soon. Sadly. I hope people can be forgiving.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 1:51 AM, CDR Benson said:

The irony, for me, is that you are cruising out of a land I would dearly love to visit, again.  From 1998 to 2001, I was on the staff of the U. S. Navy's Commander, SEVENTH Fleet in the Pacific, and made several trips to Australia.  All over.  Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne (where I lost money at the dog track, heh), Sydney (where I did the bridge-climb!), Brisbane.  Of all the lands I've visited, Australia was the most endearing.  Glorious country with the warmest people.

I'm long retired now, and travelling back to your country would be on my own nickel and time-consuming.  But, someday, if I can talk the Good Mrs. Benson into it, we'll take that plunge.

Good and safe travels, ma'am, with my wishes for a wonderful voyage.

I was born & raised in Brisbane. I hope you tolerated the summer weather there better than I did! I'm happy to be living in Melbourne now.

As for the dog track: my pets' vet is the same one as treats most of the greyhounds used in racing. The track is about twenty klicks thattaway. (as I point...)

You and Mrs Benson would be most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 11:27 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Ick.  About 90% of the ladies in the MDR will be wearing "little black dresses", which are dull as dirt.  Treat yourself to some of the lovely colors that God provided and the fashion industry tailored.  

Bestie and I found a dress pattern which should make a lovely gown. We plan to convert it to a shirt/skirt combination, and make the 'undergown' section into a wearable skirt itself. That produces three different 'gowns': one to look like the pattern, one to be the shirt with a lace (or otherwise patterned) skirt, and a third with the shirt and a skirt that reveals the leg (or leggings, or whatever else). And we plan to make a second set in a harmonious colour.

Give me time & the money for the fabric and I won't be stuck in an 'LBD'. And yes, you were in part inspiration. I'm planning to use the 'jewel' saturation & hue, the first in blue.

https://patterns.bootstrapfashion.com/sewing-patterns/women/plus-size-patterns/fashion-designer-sewing-patterns-gown-with-2-layers-skirt.html

Edited by JVes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JVes said:

Bestie and I found a dress pattern which should make a lovely gown. We plan to convert it to a shirt/skirt combination, and make the 'undergown' section into a wearable skirt itself. That produces three different 'gowns': one to look like the pattern, one to be the shirt with a lace (or otherwise patterned) skirt, and a third with the shirt and a skirt that reveals the leg (or leggings, or whatever else). And we plan to make a second set in a harmonious colour.

Give me time & the money for the fabric and I won't be stuck in an 'LBD'. And yes, you were in part inspiration. I'm planning to use the 'jewel' saturation & hue, the first in blue.

https://patterns.bootstrapfashion.com/sewing-patterns/women/plus-size-patterns/fashion-designer-sewing-patterns-gown-with-2-layers-skirt.html

That's a nice pattern -- love the slash-in of alternating lace /color /fabric on the leg. 

This dress will fit in well for formal night.  You'll be among the best-dressed, and I like the idea of the jewel tones and the flexible choices you're planning.  Few styles would offer you these options.  

I'm sure it'll be lovely!  

Jewel tones are flexible for me. As long as I avoid limes, yellows and oranges (and the dress works for me) I could make a set of each colour!
I won't, of course. That would be ridiculous.

And thank you for the compliment re formal night! I like to fit in. I'll have a nice dress and a fancy hairstyle.

BTW, if you sew, that website has a lot of useful free or cheap patterns.

Edited by JVes

• 2 weeks later...

Booked my first cruise myself 2 weeks ago. My wife is terrified of the idea of sleeping on a ship, so cruises were never an option, but she is taking a month long internship abroad in february, so I took the chance to book a cruise on my own.

I booked MSC in Northern Europe. This brand has a lot of complaints about being crowded, but since I am going in february (outside of school holidays, very cold and wet weather) I am hoping for a relaxing cruise at a bargain price.

Decided to reply here, because I definitely recognize your enthousiasm. Caught myself checking my booking page and downloading/checking their app several times this week, even though that is completely pointless at this point.

Edited by jimmyvh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyvh said:

Booked my first cruise myself 2 weeks ago. My wife is terrified of the idea of sleeping on a ship, so cruises were never an option, but she is taking a month long internship abroad in february, so I took the chance to book a cruise on my own.

I booked MSC in Northern Europe. This brand has a lot of complaints about being crowded, but since I am going in february (outside of school holidays, very cold and wet weather) I am hoping for a relaxing cruise at a bargain price.

Decided to reply here, because I definitely recognize your enthousiasm. Caught myself checking my booking page and downloading/checking their app several times this week, even though that is completely pointless at this point.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 5:30 PM, jimmyvh said:

37 days and not counting. Not at all. Not me.....

10 hours ago, JVes said:

37 days and not counting. Not at all. Not me.....

Someone as thrilled to cruise as you, ma'am deserves a voyage that is as exciting and wonderful as you could desire.  That's my wish for you and your friend, anyway.

Our next cruise sails in fifty days.  I've been tallying the countdown daily since I booked it---that was day 641.  But, you're right.  Who's counting?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

Someone as thrilled to cruise as you, ma'am deserves a voyage that is as exciting and wonderful as you could desire.  That's my wish for you and your friend, anyway.

Our next cruise sails in fifty days.  I've been tallying the countdown daily since I booked it---that was day 641.  But, you're right.  Who's counting?

Thank you!

I'm really looking forward to:

Trying new foods.

Enjoying live entertainment - theatre, comedy, music.

Participating in deck games, trivia contests, 'game show' stuff. Karaoke, if they have it! (My friend is studying music, and I've got good pitch but horrible timing.)

Browsing art - both the stuff inherent in the ship, and the art for the art auction. (No, I won't be buying. But no harm in looking!)

Seeing the stars with less light pollution.

Having afternoon tea like a real lady.

And if it all gets too much, the Grand Princess has a library.

And who's counting?!

Just went through my copy of Ilana's cruise planner and compared it to the personal plan I based off both Ilana's and the many cruise video's I've watched.

I made only four changes.

Kind of proud of that.

Hey JVes:  We just got back from a 10 day Princess cruise (our first on that line) along the Eastern Coast of Canada & Northern US.  One thing I will say is try to get to all the musical acts on board - their live bands are terrific and their invited musical entertainers were awesome, as were the theatre song & dance productions.

That being said, their food in the MainDiningRooms is DULL - no interesting international menus like on Holland America.  My only two meals there out of all the dining we did were tough and overcooked - even veggies like eggplant/aubergine.  If you want to vary your drinks w/o paying for a soda/or alcohol pkg. I suggest buying those fancy packet cocoas before you get on the ship to make flavoured mochas with the included Lavazza coffee or just a hot cocoa in the evening - we took quite a few like mint, raspberry, orange, 'Irish Cream', and banana cocoa.  Other than that, all the included herbal teas, decent coffee, unsweetened ice tea, lemonade, orange and apple juice were enough for our drink purposes besides the two bottles of wine we were allowed to bring aboard for our cabin.  

If you get the chance and can afford it, pay for the specialty dining in Sabatini's one night, especially near the beginning of the cruise.  It's emptier then and even more attention from your serving staff.  And come hungry - multicourse wonderful Italian food (and I'm Italian.)  On our ship it was very hit & miss on the quality in the Crown Grill according to a straw poll.  We also found the MDR extremely noisy - bad acoustics echo and amplify everyone's voice when it's busy.

Lots of people on our ship got quite dressed up - some gorgeous iridescent long gowns, amazing jewellery (real or not, who cares), men in beautiful classy suits and even an actual tux or two.  Also some ladies in very fancy young & trendy pant ensembles.  However you choose to do it, just own it!  We saw all sorts of shoes from teetering high heels (don't ask me how they didn't fall on their face, or twist an ankle) to lovely little flats and wedges.  Maybe you can dress up your shoes with shoe clips or lacy anklets or whatever.  If you want to do anything Spa, book for a port day - it's cheaper.  Have Fun!!! 

Oh, and please check back on this thread to fill us in on how things went when you get home.

22 hours ago, canadjineh said:

<snippage>

One thing I will say is try to get to all the musical acts on board - their live bands are terrific and their invited musical entertainers were awesome, as were the theatre song & dance productions.

That being said, their food in the MainDiningRooms is DULL - no interesting international menus like on Holland America.  My only two meals there out of all the dining we did were tough and overcooked - even veggies like eggplant/aubergine.

<more snippage>

If you get the chance and can afford it, pay for the specialty dining in Sabatini's one night, especially near the beginning of the cruise.  It's emptier then and even more attention from your serving staff.

<snippity snip>

<also internal snippage in the next part>

Lots of people on our ship got quite dressed up - some gorgeous iridescent long gowns, amazing jewellery (real or not, who cares), men in beautiful classy suits and even an actual tux or two.

However you choose to do it, just own it!  We saw all sorts of shoes from teetering high heels (don't ask me how they didn't fall on their face, or twist an ankle) to lovely little flats and wedges.

Maybe you can dress up your shoes with shoe clips or lacy anklets or whatever.

Have Fun!!! 

Oh, and please check back on this thread to fill us in on how things went when you get home.

Music is quite important to us both, and live music will be a great treat! Echo (my partner) is studying both singing and piano, and recently composed her first piece for her course. It's A-MAZ-ING. I'm so proud.
Listing to great live music will be a thrill, and we'll probably stop in lounges with live music when we need to rest.

(Clipped to the food review)

I'm very disappointed in your review of the MDR. We're planning to have lunch there on our first day, partly to check on it, and partly because we both need to discuss allergies with the Maitre'd. Once I'm back, I'll let you know how it went. I'll be on Grand Princess, and she seems to do Australia/Alaska, I hope she has better chefs in the MDR than you had.
I'll take note of your recommendation for Sabatini's. We both love good Italian - we get fussy about our pizzas and my favourite Italian meal is alfredo fettucine or penne. Carbonara is, of course, also a plus. However, I'll be adventurous. There's no better time, right?

I hope our Crown Grill food is good. I am very, very fond of steaks and roasts.

(Clipped to the fashion!)
 I'm planning to wear a fairly basic dress, but I knit and crochet. I'm planning to accessorise with a crocheted shawl that I made quite well, and it's an amazing yarn. Half of making your garment amazing is picking the right yarn.

I don't go for what some people call "real jewelry". In my mind it is. Nothing wrong with silver and a polished piece of amber, with garnet touches to bring out the shine in the amber.
Over time, I plan to make an assortment of spats for the shoes. One of the sets of spats I want to do will be fully embroidered. That one, however, will take a lot of time. A LOT. But oh my god it will be gorgeous!
Before that will be a set of white spats in the classic 1800s style. Or spats that go up my legs and look like a pair of boots. Spats with fake buttonholes and buttons. Whatever I can imagine!

And OF COURSE I will let folks in this thread know how it went! 

27 days to go.

• 2 weeks later...

One week to go! I am SO EXCITED. So very very excited!
It's going to be hard not to spam you guys.

We're test packing, collecting everything we're going to pack except the clothing, right now. I'm going to wear the bulkiest of my clothes, and shed the ones I don't need in the cabin once we're there.

I am taking my little black dress, (sorry, Mum2Mercury), because it packs well and doesn't crease. I'll put colour in with accessories.

We might need a bigger cabin bag for me, which sucks because I love the one I chose.

But the important thing is that WE'RE ONLY A WEEK AWAY!

• Like 2

@JVes @Kruise_Kat and any other first-time cruisers reading this thread,

Please remember what I said on this thread back in July:

On 7/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Host Kat said:

... And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! Make YOUR voice heard. Your honest cruise review will influence next year's Cruisers' Choice award winners and help others choose the right sailing. See How To: Submit a Member Review...

Reviews from first-time cruisers are so very important. Those reading that are going to be first time cruisers can "see" what it will be like from another first-timer and hopefully abate any fears. Those of us that have "been around the block" numerous times also LOVE reading first-timer's reviews too! For me, they always bring back fond memories of my first and the wonderment of it all.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1