Just booked my first cruise!

JVes

On 11/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, Host Kat said:

@JVes

Reviews from first-time cruisers are so very important. Those reading that are going to be first time cruisers can "see" what it will be like from another first-timer and hopefully abate any fears. Those of us that have "been around the block" numerous times also LOVE reading first-timer's reviews too! For me, they always bring back fond memories of my first and the wonderment of it all.

No problem. I will gladly try to give a helpful review. You've explained the need quite clearly and I understand it.

Edited by JVes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, Host Kat said:

@JVes @Kruise_Kat 

Reviews from first-time cruisers are so very important. Those reading that are going to be first time cruisers can "see" what it will be like from another first-timer and hopefully abate any fears. Those of us that have "been around the block" numerous times also LOVE reading first-timer's reviews too! For me, they always bring back fond memories of my first and the wonderment of it all.

Where would you want us to post our review?

My hair is up, my jewelry is on. No makeup (I rarely wear it, so that's normal). In 4 1/2 hours we're being picked up. Most of our 'pack on the day' stuff is packed (much of mine is in the pockets of my walker).
I'm eating oat porridge & dried fruit for breakfast. Bland to settle my tummy, fruit to give energy for now, porridge to give long term energy. Dinner in the MDR, lunch or snacks or something grabbed as we go.

Cshepard, if we're caught up in the excitement, text or call us. I remember now, but the wonders of a completely new environment might distract us.

And thank you CDR (Commander?) Benson.  I wish your next voyage the kindest of oceans.

1 hour ago, JVes said:

And thank you CDR (Commander?) Benson.  I wish your next voyage the kindest of oceans.

Aye, "commander", and our next cruise sets sail in fourteen days.  Thank you for your kind wishes.  Here"s wishing us all an idyllic voyage.

• Like 1

I can’t wait to hear about your cruise. 

We love Princess. We leave Saturday for a Royal cruise, our first time on one of their big ships. So we’re feeling sort of like first timers. 

Edited by KBS1607

Got back last night, fell into my bed. I'll let you know when I've posted my review, and give you a direct link. (My bed looks very enticing again.)
Short review: I had a great time and am looking at other cruises and eyeing accessible cabins. 

And I just edited out a justification for aiming for accessible cabins. Going unconscious last time I fell should be a pretty good indicator that 'not falling' should be on my cruise wishlist.

But yeah: cruising is definitely an 'on' desire.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JVes said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=708539&stay=1&posfrom=1

Link to my review.
Ideas, suggestions, questions, all are welcomed.

It is a great review and I love the title!

On 11/19/2023 at 10:48 PM, Slugsta said:

Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Hi Slugsta, just noticed your query on Helsinki overnight on another thread.

How did it work out? We are overnight in Helsinki next June and am finding it

a bit difficult on what to do both during the day and in the evening. Would welcome

your thoughts.

I'm not very mobile these days, so we mainly pottered one day. The other, we took the ferry over to Suomelina island. We had been there before but still found it worth a visit.

In the evening we took a tram to https://ravintolakuu.fi/en/home/ for traditional Finnish food, which was very good (I'm afraid I ate Rudolf!).

• Like 1

Thank you Slugsta, that restaurant looks great. Will certainly book it nearer the time. We are

there overnight so no rush in the evening. Will the tram stop nearby or is a taxi recommended.

It is the first time to Helsinki for us so we know nothing!  Is the ferry to the island you mention 

fairly close by? It is June so should have lovely long days.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

The ferry is by the market, not far from where the shuttle bus dropped us off. It was just one tram out to the restaurant but I'm afraid I don't remember which number it was. The tram stop, again, was near the shuttle drop-off.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, melusina said:

We've booked our first for next spring. I feel now just like you did. I had fun reading your countdown and I'm so glad you had a great time!

Oh, I'm sure you will too!

My travel agent considered what we look for when we're winding down & having fun, and matched us to Princess. I hope you're matched with the line that works best for you!

And let us know when you're doing your own countdown! You're going to be so very excited just with the anticipation. I found that watching the online cruise internet gurus was really helpful: I made myself a cruise book based on Ilana's Ultimate Cruise Planner (from life well cruised). I removed all the bits that didn't apply to us (childcare, for example), and added a lot of things that other cruise gurus mentioned.
I actually wound up not using most of the book I made, but the exercise of making it both gave me something useful to do, it also put it all in my mind. I made two copies, my partner had the other one.

I think that if I were to give two pieces of advice to new cruisers, they would be:

Match your cruise line to your own personality and how you vacation.

and 

Make a cruise book based on the advice you get from a wide variety of sources. Including Cruise Critic.

You'll probably not do most of the things in the book, but at least you'll be making an informed decision about what you'll do or not do.

One thing I really should have done - & will do in the future - is to tell Medical that I'm allergic to penicillin.

Also, Gail and Marty, thank you for the compliment.

Julia.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:44 AM, JVes said:

Oh, I'm sure you will too!

My travel agent considered what we look for when we're winding down & having fun, and matched us to Princess. I hope you're matched with the line that works best for you!

And let us know when you're doing your own countdown! You're going to be so very excited just with the anticipation. I found that watching the online cruise internet gurus was really helpful: I made myself a cruise book based on Ilana's Ultimate Cruise Planner (from life well cruised). I removed all the bits that didn't apply to us (childcare, for example), and added a lot of things that other cruise gurus mentioned.
I actually wound up not using most of the book I made, but the exercise of making it both gave me something useful to do, it also put it all in my mind. I made two copies, my partner had the other one.

I think that if I were to give two pieces of advice to new cruisers, they would be:

Match your cruise line to your own personality and how you vacation.

and 

Make a cruise book based on the advice you get from a wide variety of sources. Including Cruise Critic.

You'll probably not do most of the things in the book, but at least you'll be making an informed decision about what you'll do or not do.

One thing I really should have done - & will do in the future - is to tell Medical that I'm allergic to penicillin.

Also, Gail and Marty, thank you for the compliment.

Julia.

Julia, 

Our first of now over fifty cruises was a short four days from Southern California to Mexico and back. I knew nothing about cruises, nor did I do research. A short cruise was a way to find if I would get sea sick, claustrophobic or simply didn’t like it.  I LOVED IT. I loved the  lively Mexican music, the Caribbean limbo, the choices of tasty foods, the rooms were cleaned, beds made, I was spoiled. The crazy games people played. Cultural entertainment onboard. I gained eight pounds which is a lot for someone who is 5’3” tall. It was a good thing I had brought a pair of loose fitting pants. 

Now twenty years later, I do research via CC or YouTube for excursions, we choose itinerary and price over which ship to sail on. We’ve sailed Carnival to Cunard, Celebrity to Azamara. Princess to Holland America as well as others. We’ve sailed through the Panama Canal as well as the Suez. We LOVE Australia.

One of the reasons we cruise is to enjoy the company of others. We can live  our lives only once but it sure is exciting to enjoy other’s experiences through friendships made on a ship!

welcome to cruising!

ann

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:29 PM, rtdiva said:

Julia, 

Our first of now over fifty cruises was a short four days from Southern California to Mexico and back. I knew nothing about cruises, nor did I do research. A short cruise was a way to find if I would get sea sick, claustrophobic or simply didn’t like it.  I LOVED IT.

<much snippage>

One of the reasons we cruise is to enjoy the company of others. We can live  our lives only once but it sure is exciting to enjoy other’s experiences through friendships made on a ship!

welcome to cruising!

ann

It certainly worked for us. Our next cruise will be roughly a week long, and we'll bring one of my (paid) carers. It'll spare my partner from being a full time carer!
We're sure we'd love a longer cruise, but we're sparing Vicki from potentially being miserable for a fortnight.

I'm very happy that you love Australia - come back this way again.

Julia.