recomendations on excursions Juneau and Ketchikan

vampiress

we booked some excursions through princess, but i'm 35 days out and i'm having second guesses. Royal Princess leaving seattle 8/19

for Juneau, Best of Juneau: Whale Watching, Mendenhall Glacier & Orca Point Lodge Meal

and for Ketchikan Saxman Native Village, Dance Performance & Totem Park

i was wondering if anyone has done these through princess and/or had alternate recommendations.

for skagway, we have a tour booked though Chilkoot Charters for train and bus, hoping the train isn't on strike, but even if, i think they are the top recommended charter there, so i feel pretty confident on that choice.

i'm booking for 4 adults, my partner and my parents. need light to moderate exertion due to some health issues.  so kayaking is out.

Edited by vampiress

Ketchikan....Deadliest Catch Bering Sea Fisherman's tour.

Check booking via your cruise line vs their direct website for best price.

One of the best tours at this port.

• Like 1

I guess not everyone has the same taste.  I enjoyed the Saxman Village tour (through Princess) but have absolutely no interest in the Deadliest Catch tour, especially at the price they charge.  My favorite excursion so far in Ketchikan was flight seeing over Misty Fjords with Island Wings.

• Like 2

Our favorite tour in Ketchikan was a non-ship tour called Expedition Black Bear. You take a boat ride to a low cation where you walk to get to an overlook over a creek where  the salmon run and the bears fish. Great viewing from not far away. 

Bob

I agree with others above to check out Youtube.  There are lots of reviews and videos that cover the good and the bad of many excursions. 

For Juneau, we booked external of our cruise line for the Taku Lodge Feast and Seaplane excursion with Wings Airways.  At first I wanted to do the Mendenhall Glacier tour but after watching videos on Youtube from this year, I realized the glacier has receded so far that it was not worth the price of admission.  

In Ketchikan, we are doing the Bering Sea Fisherman excursion.  Huge fans of the Deadliest Catch so it was a no brainer.  However, our cruise ship isn't in port very long so ALL we can do is that excursion 😞 I think that city is one that we could have enjoyed by simply walking around and experiencing the location.

13 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

I agree with others above to check out Youtube.  There are lots of reviews and videos that cover the good and the bad of many excursions. 

For Juneau, we booked external of our cruise line for the Taku Lodge Feast and Seaplane excursion with Wings Airways.  At first I wanted to do the Mendenhall Glacier tour but after watching videos on Youtube from this year, I realized the glacier has receded so far that it was not worth the price of admission.  

In Ketchikan, we are doing the Bering Sea Fisherman excursion.  Huge fans of the Deadliest Catch so it was a no brainer.  However, our cruise ship isn't in port very long so ALL we can do is that excursion 😞 I think that city is one that we could have enjoyed by simply walking around and experiencing the location.

You have picked two of my favorite excursions.  As a hobby photographer, my favorite picture taking spot is the seats above the life preserver so you can see the eagles hit the snacks in the water.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-fishing/P5236052-2-Edit.jpg

For the flight to Taku Lodge, your camera will need a polarizing filter to avoid the glare.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/taku-lodge/1_P5110071-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/taku-lodge/1_P5110146-Edit.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just got back last night from our cruise. With our a doubt do the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour. Very interactive and informative. Definitely cheaper to go through their website than the cruise site. If purchased through them you will be on the boat with passengers that booked through the cruise lines. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmisinski said:

We just got back last night from our cruise. With our a doubt do the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour. Very interactive and informative. Definitely cheaper to go through their website than the cruise site. If purchased through them you will be on the boat with passengers that booked through the cruise lines. Enjoy!

We've done the Bering Sea 3 times. Two of the three it was less expensive to book directly however this last September it was less to book directly with RCI. So always a good idea to compare I was completely surprised with this. We were docked directly across from the ramp to board the Aleutian Ballad and were the first in line. Even if you booked with the cruiseline no need to go with the group..just take your ticket and go get in line.

There's always a mix of of passengers from direct booking and from any other ships in port.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Mr. Baloo said:

looks like a lot of recommendations for the  Bering Sea Crab Fishing tour...  so.. exactly how rough is that boat ride....  I am not prone,..... but wife is, and if I recommend something that she get sick on....

Its an inland waterway so I haven't felt any waves in my five times on this excursion.