Passengers wearing “crew- like” name tags?

sandycruzr

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Got to be frank with you, I've read this post 3 times and still don't understand it.

Yeah, I've finally given up understanding their last 3 or 4 posts. Not worth the effort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wearing your Ambassador name tag could just mean that you really enjoy cruising on NCL. It shows crew that you interact with, that you enjoy cruising with them and appreciate them and their ships. Not necessarily a brag. Newer cruisers could see the tag and be able to ask you about being an Ambassador, and may ask for cruising advice. It could just be a conversation starter.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, shof515 said:

a few months ago i did a cruise on royal and i saw passengers with those pinnacle name tags, similar to ambassador name tag .. this problem is not unique to norwegian

You're not going to find a Pinnacle level member acting like they work on the ship. 

12 minutes ago, tony s said:

Why would I wear a name tag on vacation and get hassled?

Well you don't have to wear one if you do not want to!  Some people might think it is fun to meet new people. Some older people are lonely and like to share the knowledge they have accumulated over the years. That said, I would not wear one, but I also doubt that I will make it all the way to Ambassador status.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

There was a passenger on Royal who had a personal name tag made.  IIRC, it said something like

Captain Bob

(loyalty level)

He made it a point to proclaim his loyalty level when ordering from the bar.

He would by pass the line and move directly to a waiter where he would proclaim his name and loyalty level and order his drink.

Are you sure that wasn't on a Costa ship?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, tony s said:

Why would I wear a name tag on vacation and get hassled?

I think the real question is why would someone hassle someone else simply because they are wearing a name tag? Especially when they are obviously not a crew member.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Agent999 said:

I think the real question is why would someone hassle someone else simply because they are wearing a name tag? Especially when they are obviously not a crew member.

For some reason, people seem to be less tolerate of others and have become much more rude.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Agent999 said:

Sure, but only when they are off-duty, not while they are working. You can take the position that some guests aren't bright enough to know the difference, but I think it is pretty easy to tell a working employee from one who is off duty. Unless you are looking specifically for the Cruise Director, perhaps not bothering people who are not dressed as crew might be a good practice.

Even a non-working employee should be behaving in an appropriate manner in front of guests.  According to the OP: "guests were complaining about one name tag wearing guest because they thought he was an employee acting badly." This is where I see a problem. Had I not read this thread, I would have thought someone wearing what appeared to be an NCL name tag was an NCL employee. Civilian clothing would lead me to believe they were off duty, so I would not bother them. The name tag itself is something I may notice from a bit of a distance, especially on someone behaving in a poor manner, but due to poor vision I could not read a name tag unless that person were right in front of me and facing me. 

Someone with what appears to be an NCL name tag, misbehaving, is potentially not good for NCL's reputation. Personally, if I saw something once or twice from one or two people, it wouldn't much affect my opinion of NCL or their crew standards. If I saw issues again and again, that may have an impact on my opinion of NCL.

29 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

Even a non-working employee should be behaving in an appropriate manner in front of guests.  According to the OP: "guests were complaining about one name tag wearing guest because they thought he was an employee acting badly." This is where I see a problem. Had I not read this thread, I would have thought someone wearing what appeared to be an NCL name tag was an NCL employee. Civilian clothing would lead me to believe they were off duty, so I would not bother them. The name tag itself is something I may notice from a bit of a distance, especially on someone behaving in a poor manner, but due to poor vision I could not read a name tag unless that person were right in front of me and facing me. 

Someone with what appears to be an NCL name tag, misbehaving, is potentially not good for NCL's reputation. Personally, if I saw something once or twice from one or two people, it wouldn't much affect my opinion of NCL or their crew standards. If I saw issues again and again, that may have an impact on my opinion of NCL.

Since the can is open, lets examine the worms.

Who gets to decide what is "behaving in an appropriate manner", NCL or other guests?

Why would people think it is their job to monitor employee behavior and report them for "acting badly"?

Can assuming someone is an NCL employee cause an issue? Could that issue be avoided by making sure instead of assuming?

Why would anyone harass someone in civilian clothes while they are clearly not at work simply because they are wearing a name tag?

Could it be that guests who have been recognized by NCL and gifted with a name tag might not want to wear it because other guests simply don't know how to properly behave in public?

21 hours ago, Agent999 said:

Should also point out that while NCL does allow their Cruise Directors to wear "civilian clothes", other members of the crew are typically wearing some sort of uniform. Guests who have been given a name tag will NOT be wearing a uniform, and unless someone thinks the guest is actually the Cruise Director (which the name tag will clarify that they are not), there should be no confusion over who is a guest and who is an employee.

The entertainers wear street clothes and will be fired for behaving badly so to speak. 

3 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

Since the can is open, lets examine the worms.

Who gets to decide what is "behaving in an appropriate manner", NCL or other guests?

The answer to that is pretty obvious; both.

Guests can and do decide with their wallet. If they are unhappy with what they see, they are free to never book another cruise again or never cruise with NCL again. NCL decides when they decide to ban people from returning (guests and/or crew), they also do this. There may be plenty of people who disagree. At times, I imagine that guests and NCL would not agree but that doesn't really matter. If anyone judges something to be inappropriate, they have the right to their opinion just as you would have the right to disagree with their opinion.

8 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

Why would anyone harass someone in civilian clothes while they are clearly not at work simply because they are wearing a name tag?

I didn't see any reports here of anyone actually doing this. Did I miss those reports? I think there has been speculation.

5 hours ago, www3traveler said:

For some reason, people seem to be less tolerate of others and have become much more rude.

Along those same lines, I think seeing the continual “lounge chair hogs”, the line cutting for drinks, the “gabbers” and late comers at shows who insist in traipsing to the aisles upsetting everyone in their path, to the people who feel the safety drill doesn’t apply to them and keeps constant announcements in our ears, and weed smokers, etc believing the ship is theirs and theirs alone, makes some of us a little testy.

I don’t mine anyone wearing any badge.  Just as long as your respectful or your fellow cruisers, and the crew, we’re good.

If you’re Ambassador Status, I don’t think you have much problem finding friends.  You’ve taken a LOT of cruises. Which means you know how all this works.

Reminds me of a passenger which I recall being on one of my Royal cruises who insisted on wearing one of those dinosaur costumes which were somewhat popular at the time, in pubic areas of the ship.  This person would take up 5 extra spaces in the elevators, knock people over around the pool aisles, block the cabin aisles they were in.

This person finally got stuck in one of the doors going to to the pool deck.  Now, I’m sure this person thought they were hilarious by wearing the costume.  But, no one else did and no one lifted a finger to help when they got stuck and actually went to one of the other doors to go around them.  Finally, the person started yelling for help.  No one would until finally security came along.  Not sure what happened after that, and now seems humorous.  But, it was a huge irritant at the time.

Didn’t see the dinosaur the rest of the cruise.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seminole1975 said:

The entertainers wear street clothes and will be fired for behaving badly so to speak. 

At one point or another, everyone wears street clothes. The point was that they wouldn't be wearing them while working, but might when they are off and nobody should be harassing them when they are off work.

4 hours ago, minabruuke said:

The answer to that is pretty obvious; both.

First, if it were obvious, it wouldn't need to be answered. Second, I disagree. Only the employer can decide what is or is not appropriate for their employees. A guest may not agree, but the guest can only have their opinion, not quantify appropriateness.

4 hours ago, minabruuke said:

I didn't see any reports here of anyone actually doing this. Did I miss those reports? I think there has been speculation.

Read post 29. That poster was clear about their reasoning. Besides, just because YOU didn't see a report of something does not mean that that activity did not occur. There is no way that you, or anyone else, can be aware of everything that happens.

23 hours ago, fla33023 said:

You're not going to find a Pinnacle level member acting like they work on the ship. 

Omg!! That’s what I thought.  It was so strange to see this man behaving so poorly and acting like he was a manager of some sort. He was even approaching random guests and saying “get out there and dance… pretend like you’re having fun!” at one point he ended up interrupting a game that a crewmember was conducting to give the contestant the answers! The whole thing was just weird.

Our neighbors are almost pinacle level and complain about several (they know these folks by name because they are so obnoxious) pinnacles who behave in quite obnoxious “I own this ship” sort of fashion.  As a matter of fact, when we were in Roatan recently on an NCL cruise, I saw this couple who caught my eye because of their outfits and persona and then noticed the name tag.  I discreetly took a picture of then to show our friends and they said “yep, that’s them”.   I’ve not seen any ambassadors acting in an inappropriate manner, most are just very congenial and helpful.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Our neighbors are almost pinacle level and complain about several (they know these folks by name because they are so obnoxious) pinnacles who behave in quite obnoxious “I own this ship” sort of fashion.  As a matter of fact, when we were in Roatan recently on an NCL cruise, I saw this couple who caught my eye because of their outfits and persona and then noticed the name tag.  I discreetly took a picture of then to show our friends and they said “yep, that’s them”.   I’ve not seen any ambassadors acting in an inappropriate manner, most are just very congenial and helpful.  

I'm not going to generalize, as there are only a few who make it miserable for everyone else.  You found a couple.  Don't get why they act the way they do.  But, you cruise enough, you find them....unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'm not going to generalize, as there are only a few who make it miserable for everyone else.  You found a couple.  Don't get why they act the way they do.  But, you cruise enough, you find them....unfortunately.

Yep.  And then there are those people who just love being the center of attention.  There was a couple we used to see on RCCL who wore different fluffy slippers every day, and a young lady who seemed to think wearing evening wear made of little more than dental floss was glamorous.  At least they didn’t annoy anyone (except maybe some wives, whose husbands eyes had popped from their sockets )

but I suppose that’s what makes the world go round., but so,e times ya just got to wonder why it doesn’t spin wildly out into space. 🤗

• Haha 3