Passengers wearing “crew- like” name tags?

sandycruzr

On 7/18/2023 at 10:52 AM, Agent999 said:

Since the can is open, lets examine the worms.

Who gets to decide what is "behaving in an appropriate manner", NCL or other guests?

Why would people think it is their job to monitor employee behavior and report them for "acting badly"?

Can assuming someone is an NCL employee cause an issue? Could that issue be avoided by making sure instead of assuming?

Why would anyone harass someone in civilian clothes while they are clearly not at work simply because they are wearing a name tag?

Could it be that guests who have been recognized by NCL and gifted with a name tag might not want to wear it because other guests simply don't know how to properly behave in public?

I think there is definitely a place for this depending on the situation . On my first cruise I once watched an employee finish at the urinal and turn around and walk without washing his hands . He subsewuently turned the corner and walked into the specialty restauraunt and continued setting tables for the evening...

Should this be my place to report ?

FWIW...... I talked myself out of reporting due to the fact I didn't want to get someone fired , but after thinking more about it determined I should have and if he got fired that would not be my fault but his

Cheers

38 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I think there is definitely a place for this depending on the situation . On my first cruise I once watched an employee finish at the urinal and turn around and walk without washing his hands . He subsewuently turned the corner and walked into the specialty restauraunt and continued setting tables for the evening...

FWIW...... I talked myself out of reporting due to the fact I didn't want to get someone fired , but after thinking more about it determined I should have and if he got fired that would not be my fault but his

Cheers

You could probably come up with any scenario needed to justify a position, but that is just argumentative.

Is reporting on bathroom behavior your responsibility?

If you saw a guest do the same, would you report that guest? If not, why not?

The whole "not reporting because of the potential consequences" angle is interesting. Taking it further, since you failed to report it, should you then be punished for your failure? (For example, you could be disembarked from the cruise) Is it a problem for the employee to have a failure, but OK if you or I do the same? We certainly don't want to treat people differently, right?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

I would have said something to someone. That's disgusting. I doubt he would be fired for such a trivial thing but he should definitely be told by his manager to not do that. 

In alot of countries where cruise employees come from, running water in bathrooms for handwashing isn't always common. It's entirely possible that he didn't think to but having it pointed out, especially a guest noticing, would put him on notice to make sure he washes his hands. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

You could probably come up with any scenario needed to justify a position, but that is just argumentative.

Kettle -- black, much?  Good grief. Read your own freaking posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Agent999 said:

Is reporting on bathroom behavior your responsibility?

If you saw a guest do the same, would you report that guest? If not, why not?

The whole "not reporting because of the potential consequences" angle is interesting. Taking it further, since you failed to report it, should you then be punished for your failure? (For example, you could be disembarked from the cruise) Is it a problem for the employee to have a failure, but OK if you or I do the same? We certainly don't want to treat people differently, right?

I am pretty sure It was never said that it was my responsibility , but I'm guessing I certainly wouldn't have been frowned upon by his superior had I reported this and let him decide whether this was acceptable. There are consequences for unacceptable behavior in the workplace you know.

As for the rest of your ramblings , I guess you got me . Apparently I should have been  fed to the sharks for my "failure "?!

Cheers ,  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 4:00 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

Wearing your Ambassador name tag could just mean that you really enjoy cruising on NCL. It shows crew that you interact with, that you enjoy cruising with them and appreciate them and their ships. Not necessarily a brag. Newer cruisers could see the tag and be able to ask you about being an Ambassador, and may ask for cruising advice. It could just be a conversation starter.

I think you're right.  The same reason why people wear cruise logoed merchandise.

Although....  on the other hand....  we recently "met" someone who cruises a lot.  This fellow sat one table over and barged in on our conversation.  He quickly turned it towards his frequent cruising exploits.  He even invited questions, in a braggy 'ask me if you must, you lowly peasant' tone of voice.  We played along, and let him "wear the taller hat" as the old saying goes.

Oh- I didn't notice any name tags  😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mpk said:

I think you're right.  The same reason why people wear cruise logoed merchandise.

Although....  on the other hand....  we recently "met" someone who cruises a lot.  This fellow sat one table over and barged in on our conversation.  He quickly turned it towards his frequent cruising exploits.  He even invited questions, in a braggy 'ask me if you must, you lowly peasant' tone of voice.  We played along, and let him "wear the taller hat" as the old saying goes.

Was it possibly the CD?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mpk said:

It just goes to show that a braggart does not need a name tag, they only need an audience.

No different than the people here who go out of their way to point out that they will, are, or did cruise in the haven. Especially when the topic has nothing to do with the haven.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

No different than the people here who go out of their way to point out that they will, are, or did cruise in the haven. Especially when the topic has nothing to do with the haven.

Or those who begin their post with "We're Unobtanium and ..." and then begin to claim how poorly the cruise line treated them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmmmm….I think I’m going to wear all of my pins on my next cruise with a “My Name Is…….ask me anything” Badge!  

If you want to wear a badge, wear a badge.  Interface with that person, or not.  If you don’t like what they’re saying, leave!  It really is this simple, isn’t it?

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

I think there is some value in citing your status if it clarified that the person has some history of cruising this line (unlike the person who has done two five day cruises on one ship and is now an expert.   But the Haven thing is just snobbery unless you are discussing the Haven or it directly relates to the issue at hand.  But, as RocketMan noted it is usually just look-at-me ism.