P&O Guernsey DIY or Second World War trip

galeforce9

Anyone got any diy recs for guernsey please.  The Second World War trip looks ok.  The coastal trip is full. Car hire seems to be all at the airport so is that difficult?  Does anyone know any day taxi companies to book? I heard the bus service is good but I imagine it gets very full on cruise days.  All advice welcome.  What are the approximate arrival/on board times.  I realise it’s tender and very often ships don’t get in. That has happened to us too but fingers crossed.  Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We got the local bus to the underground WW2 hospital.  Cant remember what number it was.  Took less than half an hour to get there and a short walk from the stop.

Thank you.  Did you enjoy the hospital? 

A few years back now, but as a family of 4 with young children, we picked up a taxi from the taxi rank at the entrance to the harbour and did our own thing first to The Little Chapel and then onto the German Underground Hospital, before returning to port. I can't remember the costs but it wasn't expensive (I would have remembered otherwise 😉) and perhaps we spent about 2.5 hours in total. We all really enjoyed our visit, the hospital was fascinating.

image.png.0d8624bb28065343be713a7b2e037a0b.png

• Thanks 1

We did the Second World War trip, and it was most enjoyable. We went around the island and stopped by some fortifications, and also had refreshments at the Pearl of Guernsey. Then to the underground hospital which was closed! The guide had to fetch the owner, and in about 10 minutes this elderly gentleman shuffled along and opened it. It’s a very interesting place. Lastly we went to the museum and there was a lady signing books there - she was a child during the war. 

This was on Azura in 2017 and I know that we got an early tender. Some other folk told us later on that they had waited a good while for a tender in order to do their own thing. That’s something to bear in mind if you intend do DIY. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We did the Second World War trip, and it was most enjoyable. We went around the island and stopped by some fortifications, and also had refreshments at the Pearl of Guernsey. Then to the underground hospital which was closed! The guide had to fetch the owner, and in about 10 minutes this elderly gentleman shuffled along and opened it. It’s a very interesting place. Lastly we went to the museum and there was a lady signing books there - she was a child during the war. 

This was on Azura in 2017 and I know that we got an early tender. Some other folk told us later on that they had waited a good while for a tender in order to do their own thing. That’s something to bear in mind if you intend do DIY. 

Good point re the time. We like a lie in so it didn't bother us, but I remember we had to wait a while.

• Like 3

Having extensive 😂 experience of cruises including Guernsey in their itinerary I would suggest that any DIY tours you consider allow for a full refund if you fail to tender. We have had four cruises where Guernsey was scheduled but we have failed to land on each occasion. Often the weather was good in the am but the forecast was poor for late afternoon consequently the visit was cancelled. 
Good luck (& send a postcard! ) 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 91 service goes round the island clockwise, 92 anticlockwise. The complete circuit takes about 90 minutes..the buses do get crowded on cruise ship days.

On those days the bus company lays on special buses for less than £10 with photo stops at all the main sights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Right in St Peter’s Port very close to where the tender lands is Castle Cornet which is enjoyable if you like castles. There’s a cafe where you can look right out to sea.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, JeanieC,Aston said:

The 91 service goes round the island clockwise, 92 anticlockwise. The complete circuit takes about 90 minutes..the buses do get crowded on cruise ship days.

On those days the bus company lays on special buses for less than £10 with photo stops at all the main sights.

That was our plan too however as there was a wait for the bus we took a short walk on returning to the bus stop there was an enormous queue with very little chance of getting on. We asked a taxi driver for the cost of a short tour and ended up paying £40 for an hour. (I think he actually took longer) He took us to the little church and drove around the island, I was so glad we did this as there were so many narrow winding roads I don’t think I would have really enjoyed the extended bus ride.

Happy planning

IMG_5986.jpeg

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Thanks 1