Relaxing Day at the beach question...

Jgarriso

Cruising on the Glory at the end of August.

I have been at Roatan about 5 times plus an 8 day vacation there and have always spent my time at West Bay (Paradise Beach Hotel)  because i like the atmosphere and snorkeling.    The other people in my party (3 other 55+ adults)  just want to have a relaxing time, some want full shade and some want sun,  everybody wants a person to come by and say "can i get you a drink" occasionally.. lol      For me the transfer to 'over the hill' and drive to west bay isn't terrible.  for them it seems to be.   What i'm trying to see is, in comparison how is the local cruise beach compared to west bay and the Caribbean beach feel.  I know everyone has different taste.  But as an example,  i will never stay at the Grand Turk carnival Cruise port again.  Elbows to A....  everywhere with people selling free chairs and no relaxation when i can easily pay more and get a relaxing and beautiful beach without all the hussle and bustle.

So my question is,  can i get that relaxing,  caribbean vibe at MB beach or should i go else where.  And if elsewhere where would you advise that is not West Bay.  I'm willing to give up the snorkling in favor of everyone else having the calm and relaxing beach day.  I am also fine with going outside of Carnivals tours (or with)  Only real requirements are beautiful beach and sand,  shade available and beach service.    The map in my head says there isn't much on that side/area of the island.

Thanks.

Edited by Jgarriso
left out information

Look at places in Sandy Bay like Anthony's Key or Upachaya.  You could try Little French Cay.  Mixed reviews but can fit your criteria.  Also ship excursion to Big French Cay.  Otherwise along the south shore most places are resorts that don't have day passes.

• Like 1

I don't think Anthony's Key has a beach. 

Upachaya is not in Sandy Bay. I have no idea if it has a beach but it is closer to Mahogany Bay than Sandy Bay. 

Sol Y Mar is in Sandy Bay. 

Little French Key...Golly there are so many things to not like about that place...but people do. I would look for truly recent reviews and if anyone mentions animals don't go. 

There is not another beach like West Bay on the island. 

You could look at one of the man made beaches.  Fantays Island? Parrot Tree? 

Maybe Camp Bay Lodge on the far east end maybe would shuttle drinks for you. You would have to ask. It is a beautiful spot with an almost constant breeze, not much snorkeling but no bugs either. 

Paya Bay offers day passes but I have no idea if they have alcohol runners. 

• Thanks 1

Agree on West Bay.  It may get crazy at times,  But if i could live anywhere in the world,  that would be my place.    Its like going to your favorite resturant and trying something new and then wishing you had ordered what you always get cause you love it...     But you still have to try new things in case there is something else that you like. lol     In the case the 'group' want easy and relaxing without a long drive.

Has anyone been to the MB beach got advice? is there a relaxing section or area or is it always crazy?

MB cabanas are indeed roped off but if full (they can hold 8-10 people each) not necessarily quiet. And they are expensive, IMO.

There are shady areas along the beach away from the shoreline.  And sometimes the snorkeling is  okay out near the small pier close to the breakwater.  But the channel is basically an enlarged creek estuary.  Silty bottom.  The benefit of MB to cruisers is that it can be an inexpensive day.

• Like 1

I have never docked at MB so can’t help with local beach but a lot depends on budget. 

If transport is main concern consider Turquoise Bay which has different package levels. It is still quite a ride but would be through cruise line and closer than from Coxen Hole which is how we have done it.

• Like 1

We usually go to West Bay too but went to the port beach last year. It's not bad but can be as crowded as Grand Turk, especially the closer you are to the chairlift. It's not as relaxing as Paradise but you can't beat the price and convenience if you dont want a taxi ride. The water is nice and food and drink are close by (tourist prices).

It gets less crowded later in the day and we were able to relax.

1 minute ago, grantbob said:

We usually go to West Bay too but went to the port beach last year. It's not bad but can be as crowded as Grand Turk, especially the closer you are to the chairlift. It's not as relaxing as Paradise but you can't beat the price and convenience if you dont want a taxi ride. The water is nice and food and drink are close by (tourist prices).

It gets less crowded later in the day and we were able to relax.

Right,     I do get so tired of going to third world countries to pay more than i would back home for stuff!   arggggggggg....         We spent 8 nights at paradise beach hotel and took 1 day to watch the locals walk up the dirt road between the hotels and get those Baleadas,  filled with chicken for 2 dollars each that filled us both up!

• 4 months later...

I know a beach that is easy to get to. There is no worries of getting back to the ship in time.  It has free lounge chairs . Guest can relax and explore on there own, and even leave anytime they desire.  Showers and gourmet food are nearby on a multi million dollar sailing vessel. And it is free.

Check out Mahoney Bay beach.

1 hour ago, 2and2 said:

I know a beach that is easy to get to. There is no worries of getting back to the ship in time.  It has free lounge chairs . Guest can relax and explore on there own, and even leave anytime they desire.  Showers and gourmet food are nearby on a multi million dollar sailing vessel. And it is free.

Check out Mahoney Bay beach.

Assuming you are referring to Mahogany Bay that was what OP was asking about in the first place. Only possible if you are on Carnival Corporation ships.

Edited by c-leg5