Le Laperouse, Iconic Kimberley, July 2023

vada_9

We have just returned from the 10 night Kimberley Cruise on Le Laperouse from Darwin to Broome. This will not be a review as such, but I will try and give some info, as there is not much out there. Happy to answer any questions. The Andrew Daddo video – see earlier post  - covers the excursions etc very well. Just a note that the North -South and South -North itineraries do visit a couple of different spots. As a foreign registered ship, there is a requirement to exit Australian waters every 20 days so on the Darwin /Broome cruise a technical stop is made at Ashmore Reef. We were able to do a zodiac cruise here.

Boarding was done at the Darwin Cruise terminal by deck at 4pm approx. We required a negative RAT, proof of vaccination and our passports. As there were only 123? guests we were all aboard and left on time -6pm. As we were on deck 3 we were amongst the last to board. There were more crew than guests this cruise.

As almost everyone was English speaking there were no announcements in French. Guests were mainly from Australia, with others from New Zealand, USA, Germany and Costa Rica. Apologies if I have missed someone. Cruise director was from Spain (Azores). The expedition leader was from South Africa and expedition staff were mainly Australians along with New Caledonia, USA, UK and Chile. Apologies again if I missed someone.

We were divided into 4 colour coded groups for expeditions. If you wanted to be with friends etc for the excursions, you could ask before they did the groups. Usually about 11 zodiacs would go out with about 8 guests per zodiac. Because the floating pontoon was broken (should be repaired next time in Darwin), all excursions departed from deck 3 by external stairs. The staff were excellent in getting you into and out of the zodiacs. There are only 3 excursions where you go on land, 4 if you do the optional helicopter flight to Mitchell Falls. All other excursions are zodiac cruising.

Back to the ship, She is like the other explorers in layout. Staffed mainly by French and  Philippine folk.  Food on a whole was very good. Lots of yummy French desserts and breads. The only thing missing was some of the French cheeses. I was told this was because of Australian Quarantine Rules.

DSC03037.JPG

DSC03202.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

DSC03077.JPG

DSC03359.JPG

DSC03398.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

DSC03790.JPG

DSC03539.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting! We enjoyed Le Laperouse earlier this year in Indonesia. I hope they get the floating pontoon fixed quickly as that is such a great way to board zodiacs.

We finally signed up for a Kimberly cruise next year but on Silver Cloud. Still looking for our next Ponant cruise but I'm sure we'll find one.

8 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

What is a "floating pontoon", and why is it a better way to board zodiacs?  Does anyone have a picture of one and how it works?

Yes, it's in my Corsica trip review. Let me find it and add it here.

ETA: It's in the Corsica review not Indonesia, sorry. Post #43. Link: 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Thanks 2

On 7/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, Catlover54 said:

What is a "floating pontoon", and why is it a better way to board zodiacs?  Does anyone have a picture of one and how it works?

I don’t have a photo of it. We used it in the Seychelles. But it is a pontoon on hydraulic arms that is lowered behind the boat when anchored. It is the width of the ship so very stable. Zodiacs can be loaded from both sides. It is only about 10 steps down and you are not walking through the lobby when you return wet. I understand that other “toys” can be easily launched as well eg SUP’s etc.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much @vada_9 for your great comments & photos. 

I have a few few questions, if you don’t mind? 

Hubby & I are cruising The Kimberley next month on Ponant & I’m wondering about the footwear you wore when out on the Zodiacs & then on the land? 

Also what currency was used onboard for any extra purchases? 

I do thank you for your time & any assistance you can give me would be very much appreciated. 

This will be our first Ponant cruise & we are very much looking forward in experiencing their ship & also the Kimberley! 

Vicki. 😄

8 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

Thank you so much @vada_9 for your great comments & photos. 

I have a few few questions, if you don’t mind? 

Hubby & I are cruising The Kimberley next month on Ponant & I’m wondering about the footwear you wore when out on the Zodiacs & then on the land? 

Also what currency was used onboard for any extra purchases? 

I do thank you for your time & any assistance you can give me would be very much appreciated. 

This will be our first Ponant cruise & we are very much looking forward in experiencing their ship & also the Kimberley! 

Vicki. 😄

Hi Vicki, thanks for the nice comments and no problems answering your questions. 

For the zodiacs my husband and I wore reef shoes - mine were the cheapies from Big W/Kmart. Husband had some old dive boots (I think this will have been their final outing). A lot of folk had the Anaconda ones. Depending which way you are cruising will determine how many landings you have. On the Darwin - Broome direction there were only the 2 - one onto rocks (wore our sneakers) and one onto the beach plus an extra if you did the Mitchell Falls helicopter tour, also a beach landing. If you do the Broome - Darwin, I think there is possibly another landing. We carried our sneakers to change into once - we didn't do the longer walk so were happy in our reef shoes/bare feet. Towels were available to take with you to dry your feet. We also wore the reef shoes zodiac cruising as sun protection. Recommend taking a dry bag as sometimes the zodiacs had water in them and for choppier outings. Staff discouraged wearing thongs on the zodiac trips.

All prices on board are in Euro - ie higher level drinks, gift shop, and excursions, payable to your on board account and charged at the end. There is a USB port for charging , but you may also need an EU or US adaptor.

Just a note, if you are wanting to buy artworks at Freshwater cove, they are in the process of getting EFTPOS/CC facilities, so it was cash only - prices started around $200 and up.

I hope you have a wonderful time cruising the beautiful Kimberley coast.

Jan

22 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Hi Vicki, thanks for the nice comments and no problems answering your questions. 

For the zodiacs my husband and I wore reef shoes - mine were the cheapies from Big W/Kmart. Husband had some old dive boots (I think this will have been their final outing). A lot of folk had the Anaconda ones. Depending which way you are cruising will determine how many landings you have. On the Darwin - Broome direction there were only the 2 - one onto rocks (wore our sneakers) and one onto the beach plus an extra if you did the Mitchell Falls helicopter tour, also a beach landing. If you do the Broome - Darwin, I think there is possibly another landing. We carried our sneakers to change into once - we didn't do the longer walk so were happy in our reef shoes/bare feet. Towels were available to take with you to dry your feet. We also wore the reef shoes zodiac cruising as sun protection. Recommend taking a dry bag as sometimes the zodiacs had water in them and for choppier outings. Staff discouraged wearing thongs on the zodiac trips.

All prices on board are in Euro - ie higher level drinks, gift shop, and excursions, payable to your on board account and charged at the end. There is a USB port for charging , but you may also need an EU or US adaptor.

Just a note, if you are wanting to buy artworks at Freshwater cove, they are in the process of getting EFTPOS/CC facilities, so it was cash only - prices started around $200 and up.

I hope you have a wonderful time cruising the beautiful Kimberley coast.

Jan

Hi Jan, thank you so very much for your very informative response, it's very much appreciated.

Our cruise is from Broome to Darwin, and we are doing this through APT.  I'm assuming APT is doing a private charter of the boat for this trip but I'm not 100% sure on that, not that it worries me in the slightest either way! 🙂 

So, just a couple more questions, if I may?  Did you take a small backpack on the zodiacs when you were on them?  I think I'd like to take my camera; did you do that, or did you take your phone to take photos, or is it just to hard-to-get photos from the Zodiacs?

Also, with the purchase of artwork at Freshwater Cove were these purchases done in Australian dollars?

I will also take an EU and US adaptor for charging our phones, thanks for letting me know this.

I cannot think of any more questions, right now, but I do thank you again for your time and we are certainly very much looking forward to seeing this amazing part of our gorgeous country.

Best wishes,

Vicki. 🙂 

38 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi Jan, thank you so very much for your very informative response, it's very much appreciated.

Our cruise is from Broome to Darwin, and we are doing this through APT.  I'm assuming APT is doing a private charter of the boat for this trip but I'm not 100% sure on that, not that it worries me in the slightest either way! 🙂 

So, just a couple more questions, if I may?  Did you take a small backpack on the zodiacs when you were on them?  I think I'd like to take my camera; did you do that, or did you take your phone to take photos, or is it just to hard-to-get photos from the Zodiacs?

Also, with the purchase of artwork at Freshwater Cove were these purchases done in Australian dollars?

I will also take an EU and US adaptor for charging our phones, thanks for letting me know this.

I cannot think of any more questions, right now, but I do thank you again for your time and we are certainly very much looking forward to seeing this amazing part of our gorgeous country.

Best wishes,

Vicki. 🙂 

Hi Vicki,

we spoke with the naturalists and they said the APT trips ( Broome - Darwin) did  more cultural stops.

Re backpacks, my husband and I have a couple of different size dry bags ( easily bought on line) and they were perfect for the zodiac rides. We usually only needed 1 between us for cameras, phone, binoculars. Sometimes shoes. On one trip at Ashmore Reef it was choppy and our whole boat had their phones in our bag for the ride back. Your trip won’t go there as that stop is only on the southern trip. Backpacks are fine, but waterproof is preferable. You hand your bags to the seamen as you board and they give them to you when you are seated.

Aus $ for Freshwater cove. This would be also for your other stop at the Indigenous community.

Jan

14 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

Hi Vicki,

we spoke with the naturalists and they said the APT trips ( Broome - Darwin) did  more cultural stops.

Re backpacks, my husband and I have a couple of different size dry bags ( easily bought on line) and they were perfect for the zodiac rides. We usually only needed 1 between us for cameras, phone, binoculars. Sometimes shoes. On one trip at Ashmore Reef it was choppy and our whole boat had their phones in our bag for the ride back. Your trip won’t go there as that stop is only on the southern trip. Backpacks are fine, but waterproof is preferable. You hand your bags to the seamen as you board and they give them to you when you are seated.

Aus $ for Freshwater cove. This would be also for your other stop at the Indigenous community.

Jan

Thanks again Jan. 

I have not heard of a ‘dry bag’, would you mind sharing where you bought yours online? 

I cannot thank you enough for all your assistance & help, it is truly very much appreciated. 

Vicki. 😁

Think we bought one on ebay - there are lots there and they are reasonably priced. Think we got a 15 or 20 litre. We also have a larger one from a sporting store ( about 40 litre) can fit in shoes and a towel. Anaconda and BCF stock them as well.

3 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Think we bought one on ebay - there are lots there and they are reasonably priced. Think we got a 15 or 20 litre. We also have a larger one from a sporting store ( about 40 litre) can fit in shoes and a towel. Anaconda and BCF stock them as well.

Thanks again Jan!

Maybe one day we will cross paths on a cruise & I can thank you in person. 

Vicki. 😄

We cruised on the Le Soleal and they had dry bags for sale on board, in Euro's of course so not real cheap lol. I took a normal back pack on the zodiac and it only got damp at the horizontal waterfall as it was raining when we visited!

• Like 1