Fjord cruise on Dumont D'Urville cancelled

Belgian cruiser1

My wife and I were already in Bergen to begin our 7 night fjord cruise (embarking July 17th) when we were informed that the cruise was cancelled because of technical issues with one of the tenders/life boats. We know the ship then went to a shipyard near Bergen.

Does anyone know more ? Was any of you on the ship when it ran into these problems while anchored at Loen (near Olden on July 14th or 15th ? Does anyone know if Ponant is helpful or difficult when it comes down to getting your money back ? Any input is welcome.

• Thanks 1

I know exactly what you're talking about. My sister and I were booked on that same canceled cruise and got the most frigid text message I've ever received to notify us of the cancellation. Since then, every attempt at getting reimbursed or for getting our money back has been met with vague replies. This from a so-called 5-star luxury cruise company, whereas I read today that Carnival offers a full refund PLUS a 100% cruise credit on top of that !!! I'm sorry for your loss, but we are in this together - and I personally don't feel inclined to ever spend any more money on Ponant cruises in the future. The French can talk well, but when it comes to keeping their promises of customer service, it seems you're left out in the cold. 

Dear @ann1965, @Belgian cruiser1

We can confirm that the next Dumont d'Urville cruise from Oslo will leave on 24th July as planned.

We had taken the decision to cancel the previous cruise, Bergen-Oslo from 17th to 24th July, following an incident on one of the ship's safety boats during an empty manoeuvre. The technical intervention programmed during this period enabled all the ship's safety equipment to be made available again. The Dumont d'Urville will leave Bergen on Sunday 23rd July to position itself in Oslo and welcome its guests on 24th July.

To ensure that we get back to you as soon as possible, we would like to ask you to send us your contact details by private message on our Facebook page PONANT to discuss this matter. If you wish, our travel consultants are also at your disposal by e-mail at apresvoyage@ponant.com or by telephone on 04 91 170 190.

Yours sincerely,

The PONANT team

Okay - hadn't expected a reply from Ponant, but that is welcome. I am surprised to read however that we should contact the company, whereas good service would mean them contacting us - no ? 

Soit - while I prepare a mail to the "aprèsvoyage" (not really appropriately named, as we haven't even done the voyage, so it can hardly be called "après") in my best French, could we please get some information here on what sort of compensation we can expect to get ?

40 minutes ago, PONANTCRUISES said:

Dear @ann1965, @Belgian cruiser1

We can confirm that the next Dumont d'Urville cruise from Oslo will leave on 24th July as planned.

We had taken the decision to cancel the previous cruise, Bergen-Oslo from 17th to 24th July, following an incident on one of the ship's safety boats during an empty manoeuvre. The technical intervention programmed during this period enabled all the ship's safety equipment to be made available again. The Dumont d'Urville will leave Bergen on Sunday 23rd July to position itself in Oslo and welcome its guests on 24th July.

To ensure that we get back to you as soon as possible, we would like to ask you to send us your contact details by private message on our Facebook page PONANT to discuss this matter. If you wish, our travel consultants are also at your disposal by e-mail at apresvoyage@ponant.com or by telephone on 04 91 170 190.

Yours sincerely,

The PONANT team

1 hour ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

Okay - hadn't expected a reply from Ponant, but that is welcome. I am surprised to read however that we should contact the company, whereas good service would mean them contacting us - no ? 

Because Cruise Critic takes your privacy very seriously, there is no way for Ponant to know which of their customers you are.

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Because Cruise Critic takes your privacy very seriously, there is no way for Ponant to know which of their customers you are.

That I understand Host Jazzbeau - but I'm sure they have the identities of all the passengers that were booked on the cancelled cruise, no ? So they could've used that information to contact us, instead of us having to take the initiative here.

• Like 1

We've finally received a text message, so they did make contact - finally. But unlike you, Belgian cruiser - we won't be trying to file a compensation request in French (as we are officially listed with Ponant as English speaking guests). Too bad this whole experience has put my sister off of cruising completely, and that after all my efforts to get here to join me - she swore this has been her first and last booking.

Ouch - that's a bummer Ann1965. We convinced another couple to join us on a Celebrity cruise years ago, and felt so guilty when things didn't run smoothly. As to Ponant, well - we gave them a first chance to impress us in 2020 (before Covid) and they failed, due to arrogant people and sloppy service in the main restaurant. The second chance we gave them, was another miss - as they suddenly switched a number of major aspects of the cruise and never bothered to inform us. Their third opportunity to prove that they truly are 5-star, was this cruise that got cancelled. 

7 hours ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

Ouch - that's a bummer Ann1965. We convinced another couple to join us on a Celebrity cruise years ago, and felt so guilty when things didn't run smoothly. As to Ponant, well - we gave them a first chance to impress us in 2020 (before Covid) and they failed, due to arrogant people and sloppy service in the main restaurant. The second chance we gave them, was another miss - as they suddenly switched a number of major aspects of the cruise and never bothered to inform us. Their third opportunity to prove that they truly are 5-star, was this cruise that got cancelled. 

You're kidding me, right ? Are you a glutton for punishment that you keep going back for more ? I am at a loss to either admire you for your tenacity or to question your logic, but wow - three strikes and still willing to go for a fourth.

Whether I am a glutton for punishment or not (can't say I really like that insinuation, but I will try to set a better example by remaining polite) - things are looking up. We've established a satisfactory contact with someone at Ponant in Brussels, and it looks as if we're getting some honest compensation (which doesn't mean that we've gotten our money back - but that takes time I guess). So yes, it took us some effort whereas I would've liked a bit more initiative from the other side, but if it ends well.

In regards to future sailing on Ponant ships ... I can definitely say that the only one that is still on our agenda (and had been partially prepaid) will be the absolute decider. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 1:04 PM, Belgian cruiser1 said:

Whether I am a glutton for punishment or not (can't say I really like that insinuation, but I will try to set a better example by remaining polite) - things are looking up. We've established a satisfactory contact with someone at Ponant in Brussels, and it looks as if we're getting some honest compensation (which doesn't mean that we've gotten our money back - but that takes time I guess). So yes, it took us some effort whereas I would've liked a bit more initiative from the other side, but if it ends well.

In regards to future sailing on Ponant ships ... I can definitely say that the only one that is still on our agenda (and had been partially prepaid) will be the absolute decider. 

My apologies, Belgian Cruiser 1 - I didn't mean to offend or insinuate anything. I'd like to know however if you got your money back from the cancelled cruise, as we haven't seen one penny so far - and I feel as if I'm being stonewalled whenever I contact the company. I feel so helpless and let down - 5 star luxury it says whenever you call Ponant, but this feels worst than when you get scammed with a phishing mail. We could very well use that money for the furniture in our eldest son's rooms at university, but now I'm beginning to think we'll never our thousands of pounds back.  

No offense taken, ann1965 - bygones. But no, we didn't see one euro yet, and I've talked to my lawyer to see if we can do something. You are absolutely correct that this is not worthy of a company that mentions the phrase 5 star luxury every time you give them a call. They cannot apologize enough for this, and I don't mean that I blame them for the problem with the ship - it is the lack of a prompt settlement that brings about my displeasure most of all. Almost anyone would get a fine if they were this late with their payments, but Ponant seems to think that the law doesn't apply to them.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

You are correct Belgian cruiser.  

All cruise lines have problems.  It's how they handle the problem and the ease with which they support their customers that define 5-star luxury service.

This sounds as if you have encountered similar problems yourself ? Was it with Ponant as well ? So far - almost 7 weeks after the cancellation - I am still waiting for my reimbursement.