"Upgraded" cabin on Spirit is worse than our original cabin...

bstreep

We are on NCL Spirit a week from Sunday.  Vancouver to Anchorage.  About 2 weeks later, we return on Royal Caribbean. Visiting family in Anchorage.  We thought we'd do a "NCL vs RCCL budget cruise comparison". 

We booked interior cabins on both ships, and then bid for upgrades.  We bid a strong "weak" on RCL for a balcony, and got it about a week ago - a month before our trip.  We bid strong "Excellent" on NCL.  I, stupidly, launched a weakish bid on an "Oceanview" cabin as well.  Yup. Got the "Oceanview", which is a porthole about 12" across, down in the bilge.  Down where the medical and morgue are, on deck 4.  Horrible location.  Yes, I guess I knew this could happen.  But this isn't an upgrade to anyone. 

Anyone have any thoughts as to how we might remedy this?  We do know that the fine print says we can't have our old cabin back.  But really, this looks like a money-grab to us.  But it's not about the $200.  It just looks like a poke-in-the-eye to us. 

I'm guessing you could pay more to bid on a balcony cabin. Or, just call NCL and book the room you want. I hope that's what everyone learns after reading your story. Always book the room you want. Don't try to get lucky.

Also...it is an upgrade. Not a money grab. You agreed to the terms. You were in an interior room. Now you have a window. That's a better class and exactly what you bid on. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

when you place a bid for an upgrade you are like booking a guarantee cabin where they can put in anywhere. this is common among all cruise lines with these bids. some are good and some are bad

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bstreep said:

Anyone have any thoughts as to how we might remedy this?  We do know that the fine print says we can't have our old cabin back.  But really, this looks like a money-grab to us.  But it's not about the $200.  It just looks like a poke-in-the-eye to us. 

Wait...you put the money there for them to "grab"....now your upset they "grabbed it"?   You said it yourself...

30 minutes ago, bstreep said:

I, stupidly, launched a weakish bid on an "Oceanview" cabin as well. 

You are aware how the program works, so it seems disingenuous IMHO that you are upset you got exactly what you knew you could get.

I don't know if this would work,  but perhaps you can call NCL and try to outright pay the going rate (adder) to put yourself into a balcony....I mean, since you know NCL will "grab" the money you put in front of them, call them up, and see if you can just pay for a new cabin.  (so much for your "budget trip comparison")   Worst thing that can happen is they say "no"...

• Thanks 1

Sorry OP that the upgrade didn’t deliver your desired outcome, but it is a gamble.  That’s exactly why we don’t bid for an upgrade…we are particular about cabin type/location…although I am sure we’ve missed some great opportunities.

On the bright side, you now have some daylight to brighten up the bowels of the ship.  Once onboard inquire about a cabin change…can’t hurt.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same thing happened to us on Royal.  Once on board, we realized just how terrible the location and the room was.  We had to traipse through the grey cement floored medical area to get to our cabin.  We pleaded our case at guest services and they found a very nice ocean view room for us at no additional cost.  The cruise was sold out but there was a no-show, so we were told.  We had to wait until we sailed to know if there was anything available.

Like in the previous post, I am advising you to ask at guest services once you board if you do not find a resolution (that won't cost a ton more money) prior to your trip.

This was a live & learn moment for me.  I was in a hurry when I placed my Royal Up bid.  I should have waited until I had the time to research the bid options.

Good luck to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bstreep said:

We are on NCL Spirit a week from Sunday.  Vancouver to Anchorage.  About 2 weeks later, we return on Royal Caribbean. Visiting family in Anchorage.  We thought we'd do a "NCL vs RCCL budget cruise comparison". 

We booked interior cabins on both ships, and then bid for upgrades.  We bid a strong "weak" on RCL for a balcony, and got it about a week ago - a month before our trip.  We bid strong "Excellent" on NCL.  I, stupidly, launched a weakish bid on an "Oceanview" cabin as well.  Yup. Got the "Oceanview", which is a porthole about 12" across, down in the bilge.  Down where the medical and morgue are, on deck 4.  Horrible location.  Yes, I guess I knew this could happen.  But this isn't an upgrade to anyone. 

You may not mind deck four on port days. It will be closer to the gangways. It will be nice if you can find a way to get a balcony cabin, but you should still enjoy your trip. We were on Spirit before they did they re-did it. I really enjoyed that ship. Loved the Windows MDR. 

I hope that the Royal Caribbean ship you are going on is similar in size and age to NCL Spirit for a fair comparison. It will be interesting to hear how it goes. I have been enjoying NCL the past few years, but may be due a trip on Royal just for a change. I think one of the Radiance class ships with the indoor solarium would be good for Alaska. 

2 hours ago, bstreep said:

We are on NCL Spirit a week from Sunday.  Vancouver to Anchorage.  About 2 weeks later, we return on Royal Caribbean. 

Not that it matters, but are you sure you have the correct ship and dates?  The Spirit Alaska itineraries are Wednesday to Wednesday. It left Vancouver two days ago and won’t be back in Vancouver until August 2nd. It looks like there is plenty of availability to upgrade to a picture window oceanview or balcony. Have you tried calling to get prices on the options? The Jewel itineraries are Monday to Monday. 

The Spirit is a beautiful ship. I hope you have a great cruise.  

• Like 3

BTW, this was a last minute (sort of) cruise idea. We booked this a couple of weeks ago. We were going to fly to Anchorage, and it was $1300pp.  We fly free on SWA (points plus a companion pass - greatest cc perk ever). So we are taking the ship to/from Anchorage. No cabin numbers/selections/choices were available on either ship, for any class.  The cruise line assigned us specific cabins - we never got a cabin number from RCCL, because they gave us our Royal Up almost right away.  

@bstreep  stop beating up yourself over the crappy upgrade.  Regardless…your cruise is one that many just dream of (me included).  It’s not about the cabin…it’s all about the journey.  Whales, eagles, bears, salmon, Sea lions abound! WBTW, can you imagine being at sea level and seeing those adorable sea lions right outside your porthole 😊

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

How do you remedy it? 

You call and see if you can pay to get a cabin you want.  If you can't get another cabin accept it and get over it or it's libel to ruin your vacation it you let it bother you.  Don't let a cabin ruin what is sure to be a great Alaskan vacation.  People in an inside cabins can and have just as good as vacations as those that are in the Haven.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bstreep said:

You're stuck with the room. But I really don't know where you were expecting to be if you bid on an Ocean View. Those are on the low Decks 4 and 5. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@bstreep you are going to love the Spirit! It’s my favorite NCL ship out of 13 NCL ships we have sailed. The Gem is my second favorite ship.  If you are arriving in Vancouver on the Sunday before the cruise, that is great as there is a lot to do in Vancouver. Do you need suggestions? 

I do recommend checking on your options to upgrade. Sometimes it can be a minimal amount. 

Please don’t beat yourself up. What excursions do you have planned for Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Skagway? You are so lucky to be on this cruise. The cabin isn’t everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No remedy at all except paying for another upgrade but it could be an obstructed balcony.  Any window is always considered an upgrade over an inside.  Is it worth it to us?  No.  But you did bid on an OV, and that is indeed what you got.

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm guessing you could pay more to bid on a balcony cabin. Or, just call NCL and book the room you want. I hope that's what everyone learns after reading your story. Always book the room you want. Don't try to get lucky.

Also...it is an upgrade. Not a money grab. You agreed to the terms. You were in an interior room. Now you have a window. That's a better class and exactly what you bid on. 

On NCL OV are the runt of the upgrade options.

The best OV are the obstructed OV on most ships.

The upgrade path is through the low deck OV with porthole small window.

We would pick the obstructed but not the lower ones.

Our OV low bid on the last trip was £20pp did not bother.

8 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Look at the bright side ... your neighbors won't be partying at night.

Interesting "assumed" conclusion from OP, where does NCL map the location of their "special departed lounge" onboard the Spirit or any of the the ships in their current fleet ??   I stand corrected in my interpretations.  

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:17 PM, BirdTravels said:

You're stuck with the room. But I really don't know where you were expecting to be if you bid on an Ocean View. Those are on the low Decks 4 and 5. 

Yup.  I learned my lesson a Mediterranean cruise on the Breakaway in May.  I bid for an oceanview from my inside on deck 11 (I believe).  Won the bid.  But hated the cabin.  It was on Deck 5.  The window would have been nice, but you couldn’t see out of it.  There was moisture between the panes,  couldn’t be “washed away”.  And hated the location.  I learned my lesson.  For our Alaska trip in October, we also booked an inside, but only bid for balcony cabins.  I’d rather be in an inside on a higher deck than in one of the Oceanviews.  

And yes, you are “stuck” with the new cabin.  It is technically an upgrade.   You bid for it, and won it.  The terms and conditions are clear.  You have no choice of cabin and if you win you agree to take the new cabin and pay the fee.  Sorry. 

Edited by Russiamomm
Typos

On 7/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, bstreep said:

Down where the medical and morgue are, on deck 4. 

They have a morgue?!  How many bodies are typically in there?  I would think that there would be just as much chance of somebody being dead in the next room due to "too much cruising" or it was just their time.

If you look at any ship deck plan, most of the Oceanviews are always on the lower decks, except for the larger ships that have the forward facing oceanview cabins. If I am going to bid on an Oceanview, I always check to see what is left in that catagory before bidding. One time there was this lone deck 5 oceanview cabin and I did not bid for weeks until I saw it was gone and only the forward facing ones were left. Still took a chance but it paid off and I got one of those (which I loved and booked on my next cruise). If there are lots of O/Vs left on a sailing, I will skip those and just bid on a balcony or stay where I am. It's a game to me and I am just happy to be on the ship!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

If you look at any ship deck plan, most of the Oceanviews are always on the lower decks, except for the larger ships that have the forward facing oceanview cabins. If I am going to bid on an Oceanview, I always check to see what is left in that catagory before bidding. One time there was this lone deck 5 oceanview cabin and I did not bid for weeks until I saw it was gone and only the forward facing ones were left. Still took a chance but it paid off and I got one of those (which I loved and booked on my next cruise). If there are lots of O/Vs left on a sailing, I will skip those and just bid on a balcony or stay where I am. It's a game to me and I am just happy to be on the ship!

Even this won't work - I highly recommend not doing it this way. Why? Because those on OV are bidding too. To balcony, to club balcony etc. So regardless of what is available in an OV category when you place the bid you can end up in whatever OV cabin as it's a complete shuffle once they start accepting the bids: haven suite pax bid on higher category haven suites and if they are accepted open up lower category haven suites which lower category cabin pax bid and get thus opening up their cabins. Etc etc. So there is no way of knowing which OV cabins there are available at the end when all bidding and reshuffling is done. You cannot know which particular OV cabin pax are bidding to higher cabin classes and if they get their bid it will open up their OV cabin for those in insides who bid for OV. So for this reason cannot go by what is just currently available in the cabin category that you bid or you can end up very upset by the cabin that you get.

The only way to avoid disappointment when bidding is checking all deck plans of your particular ship in advance and being comfortable in any of the particular category's cabin you are planning to bid that there are on the ship. You might really end up in any of them.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, EngrJones said:

They have a morgue?!  How many bodies are typically in there?  I would think that there would be just as much chance of somebody being dead in the next room due to "too much cruising" or it was just their time.

All ships have morgues.  And Jails, for that matter 🙂  The morgue would sail empty at the beginning of the cruise and then, who knows... However, a jail might already have a crew member in it (a guest would have been let off at home port)... Good times.