Puerto Madryn, Argentina - self drive Peninsula Valdes?

cccole

We are deciding whether to book a small tour, expensive, or rent a car in Puerto Madryn and drive to Peninsula Valdes for the day.  Does anyone have recommendations for doing a self drive?  Thank you, Cherie

I would recommend a small group tour.  We did one with Sentir Patagonia - 4 people, driver and guide $150 each for a 7 hour day including lunch at an Estancia (sheep ranch).  It was excellent and well worth the cost.  The driver was eagle eye and would spot wildlife along the road, stop and identify it.  We saw the sea lions with pups and elephant seals.  We observed young sea lions trying to move in on the elder makes "harem" and the resulting altercations.  We walked among Magellanic penguins and their young.  We learned so much about life on a sheep ranch as well as the geology if the area.  About the only wildlife we missed seeing were the right whales as they had left for the season, the Orca whales as the tide was to low to come close and the armadillos.  Driving yourself you would have no clue about what you were seeing and would most likely miss spotting the variety of wildlife there.  Plus much of the driving is on washboard bumpy roads.

TayanaLorna,  I think you have recommended Sentir Patagonia previously and they do indeed look wonderful.  The $150 pp is not a problem, and as you say could be better bang for the buck when you consider rental car and self driving.  My problem is needing to find 2 others interested in doing this.  I know that posting on roll call is an option but if I do not get 2 others to join we would have to cancel or pay the entire fee ourselves.  I really appreciate your responses and the enthusiasm for your private tours.  We are not fans of 10-14 person van tours and prefer small private tours.  Thank you, Cherie

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I would recommend a small group tour.  We did one with Sentir Patagonia - 4 people, driver and guide $150 each for a 7 hour day including lunch at an Estancia (sheep ranch).  It was excellent and well worth the cost.  The driver was eagle eye and would spot wildlife along the road, stop and identify it.  We saw the sea lions with pups and elephant seals.  We observed young sea lions trying to move in on the elder makes "harem" and the resulting altercations.  We walked among Magellanic penguins and their young.  We learned so much about life on a sheep ranch as well as the geology if the area.  About the only wildlife we missed seeing were the right whales as they had left for the season, the Orca whales as the tide was to low to come close and the armadillos.  Driving yourself you would have no clue about what you were seeing and would most likely miss spotting the variety of wildlife there.  Plus much of the driving is on washboard bumpy roads.

What type of vehicle was used for this tour?

Although I don't remember the name of the tour company, we did a small group tour too.  Personally, I don't think we would drive ourselves--so much easier with a tour.  Ours was excellent and we saw a lot.   

Thank you Nebr.cruiser, If you remember the tour company let me know.  I am not a fan of 14 person tours because it seems like there is always 1 or 2 that never seem to be back on the van on time.  Is there anything that you particularly liked about your tour?

We would like to schedule a private tour with Sentir, $500/car, for 4 persons and are hopeful we can find 2 more.

Thank you again for your post, Cherie   

19 hours ago, cccole said:

Thank you Nebr.cruiser, If you remember the tour company let me know.  I am not a fan of 14 person tours because it seems like there is always 1 or 2 that never seem to be back on the van on time.  Is there anything that you particularly liked about your tour?

We would like to schedule a private tour with Sentir, $500/car, for 4 persons and are hopeful we can find 2 more.

Thank you again for your post, Cherie   

I'll see if I can find the company.  I think we had about 8 in the van.  The private tour you mentioned sounds like it would be great for four.  It is quite a ways to the penguins and not a great lot to see on the way, although we did enjoy the scenery and saw guanacos.  But the penguin colony was great.

17 hours ago, cccole said:

Thank you.  We are hoping to tour Peninsula Valdes because it is more diverse in what to see.  I think the penguins here are a side show.  Cherie

The penguins were definitely the main attraction on our tour.  Which is what we wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

TayanaLorna - We scheduled a private tour with another couple with Sentir Patagonia for our visit.  We decided on a box lunch so that we can see as much wild life and scenery as possible.  Do you remember how long the drive was from the port to the entrance to Peninsula Valdes?  Really looking forward to this adventure.  Diego at Sentir has been so helpful.  Thank you for the recommendation and info. Cherie