Kettle

Ok, so I know you aren’t allowed to bring kettles onboard. 

We’ll be cruising in the middle of an 8 week trip to the US, and will have a kettle with us. I’m wondering if we have it out in a separate bag when we board, if the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) will be able to hold it for us somewhere during the cruise that we can pick up on departure, or if we’ll just have to throw it out and buy a 2nd one once we finish the cruise for the rest of our trip. 

Does anyone have an experience with anything similar? 

Have ordered one from Walmart so will be waiting at our hotel when we arrive!

Unfortunately my travel companion drinks a minimum of 3 cups a day. We had so much trouble with kettles last time we were over there since they don’t drink that much tea in the US, so making sure we don’t run into that problem again by buying our own and travelling with it! 

They are under $20 usd so will buy a 2nd one if we have to. Just seems like a waste if there’s an option for them to hold it on board for us somewhere! 

Edited by Miss_Kharisma
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss_Kharisma said:

We’ll be cruising in the middle of an 8 week trip to the US, and will have a kettle with us. I’m wondering if we have it out in a separate bag when we board, if the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) will be able to hold it for us somewhere during the cruise that we can pick up on departure, or if we’ll just have to throw it out and buy a 2nd one once we finish the cruise for the rest of our trip. 

Cruising the wrong part of the world!  Several cruiselines (including Royal Caribbean) which do not usually permit kettles onboard do actually supply them in-room on UK sailings as do UK cruiselines. They also supply milk, sugar and sugar substitutes.

One suggestion.  I too enjoy coffee which isn't from the giant urns. If available I will use the little sachets of instant coffee which are sometimes found next to the teabag selections and only add the boiling water.  But I also carry with me, those sachets of "speciality"coffee which only need the addition of boiling water.  I don't know about OZ, but here they are usually packed as 8 or 10 in a box and can be bought as lattes, cappucchinos etc. manufactured by the likes of Kenco and Nescafe.  I ditch the boxes and throw multiple sachets into my suitcase.

Would those work? They are not as tastly as freshly made ones from the onboard cafe, but are better than nothing and there is quite a saving to be made as it isn't essential to buy multiple daily speciality coffees from the onboard cafe.

3 hours ago, Miss_Kharisma said:

Royal Caribbean confiscated my friends steamer. They do hold. She could have picked it up at the terminal on debarkation but she did not bother. 

While I understand you travelling with a kettle (as I do), tea can be made with hot water from the tap.  Quality probably not acceptable to a Brit tho!

Edited by jsn55

At security screening, give the kettle to the screener (minus the bag). Explain the situation briefly. They will hold it and return it at disembarkation. There is usually a table set up for people to reclaim confiscated items.

If you are particular about how your tea tastes, bring your own tea bags. Depending on the ship, the quality of their tea can be pretty bad.

51 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

While I understand you travelling with a kettle (as I do), tea can be made with hot water from the tap.  Quality probably not acceptable to a Brit tho!

Uncouth Philistine 😮 😏😄😄😄

(but that's what I have to do, because ships' coffee from the urns in the buffet and elsewhere is worse.)

Miss K. - I seem to recall kettles being in cabins out of Sydney. But not RCI

Nonetheless, cruise lines don't permit cruisers to use their own kettles, because cabin stewards aren't expected to know which kettles are considered safe for ship's wiring.

You can declare it at security, who will tag it, keep it, and make it available for you to collect on the last day.

Or put it in your checked bag, & if nothing's said keep it tucked away in your cabin until packing at the end of your cruise. But don't be tempted to use it, being evacuated from a burning ship could spoil your cruise 😏

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Not acceptable to this non-Brit also and anyone else who appreciates good tea.  Good tea requires a water temperature specific to the type of tea being made.  I have a tea kettle that has a choice of 5 brewing temperatures.  Anything out of the tap will be way too cool to be acceptable.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1