Turning leftover Euro's back in

bigsky

Trying to figure out how much in euro's to bring. I've read you can buy onboard as well if needed. When I've gone to Belgium, there was a place at the airport to turn it in for American currency. Can we do that onboard or at the airport in Barcelona prior to flying out?

Thank you!

Larger international airports (like Barcelona) will have currency exchange booths for you to convert Euros to Dollars.  Expect a bad exchange rate.  They usually won’t accept coins unless it helps round out the transaction to make it easier for them.  

I also would recommend that you only bring a minimal amount with you (or none) and just get a small amount from ATMs as needed.  Then I just try to spend it down to as close to zero as I can before I leave Europe.  Use credit cards whenever you can.  I also just keep the leftover Euros for a future trip.  But, if you don’t think you will go again, convert the rest even though the exchange rate sucks.  

To start off, before you travel buy yourselves just a few euros- perhaps a max of €150 between you for 7+ days in Euroland.  This is more for emergency use (eg an unexpected taxi ride) than for general spending - I find it comfortable to have some local cash in my pocket.

As I understand it, you get a poor exchange rate in the USA, but the rates at airports & on the ship are considerably worse.  Just for fun, I always like to check out the rates at airports, the difference between their buying and selling rates is truly staggering 😮 and will show how much buying and

then turning in the currency will cost you 😮😮😮

After that, rely on using your debit card at ATMs in the ports, but go armed with the names of banks which are affiliated with your own bank and try to use ATMs there rather than in shops. When prompted by the ATM, select for your card to be charged in local currency & not in your home currency.

If you prefer to use your credit card for cash withdrawals, be aware that interest is charged from the moment that it's withdrawn so pay off the card soonest rather than waiting for your statement or regular direct debit.

But that last paragraph is hardly worth reading - the best exchange rates by far are from your card issuer, and Europe uses credit cards for pretty-well every purchase, even just a coffee or a beer or a small souvenir. A few places don't even accept cash. You probably won't need to add to the euros that you bought before you travelled.

POS card readers recognise foreign currency and give you the option of being charged in local currency or the currency of your card - always but always select local currency, so that your card issuer converts rather than you being at the mercy of whatever exchange rate the merchant or their bank cares to use.

Check the sum before you swipe, PIN or sign - some are geared to automatically charge in the currency of your card. If so, insist that it's switched to local currency. That also means that you can see that the charge is the same as the price on the check / menu / meter / price-sticker.

Same applies if your currency isn't the same as ship's currency - if for instance you're a Canadian on a US ship or an American on an Italian ship.

DECLINE any offer to charge your card for your on-board account in the currency of your card - leave it in ship's currency

Does your credit card/s charge a fee for converting foreign currency?

If so, its worth getting a card with no foreign transaction fee - even if you only use it for foreign travel.

Your fellow-countrymen can suggest suitable cards.

We have one with no foreign exchange fees- apart from avoiding fees it helps us to differentiate between that spending and our regular spending.

JB 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, bigsky said:

Can we do that onboard or at the airport in Barcelona prior to flying out?

The absolute worst rates of exchange you will get are at airports and onboard a ship, (and sometimes hotels too)

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

To start off, before you travel buy yourselves just a few euros- perhaps a max of €150 between you for 7+ days in Euroland.  This is more for emergency use (eg an unexpected taxi ride) than for general spending - I find it comfortable to have some local cash in my pocket.

As I understand it, you get a poor exchange rate in the USA, but the rates at airports & on the ship are considerably worse.  Just for fun, I always like to check out the rates at airports, the difference between their buying and selling rates is truly staggering 😮 and will show how much buying and

then turning in the currency will cost you 😮😮😮

After that, rely on using your debit card at ATMs in the ports, but go armed with the names of banks which are affiliated with your own bank and try to use ATMs there rather than in shops. When prompted by the ATM, select for your card to be charged in local currency & not in your home currency.

If you prefer to use your credit card for cash withdrawals, be aware that interest is charged from the moment that it's withdrawn so pay off the card soonest rather than waiting for your statement or regular direct debit.

But that last paragraph is hardly worth reading - the best exchange rates by far are from your card issuer, and Europe uses credit cards for pretty-well every purchase, even just a coffee or a beer or a small souvenir. A few places don't even accept cash. You probably won't need to add to the euros that you bought before you travelled.

POS card readers recognise foreign currency and give you the option of being charged in local currency or the currency of your card - always but always select local currency, so that your card issuer converts rather than you being at the mercy of whatever exchange rate the merchant or their bank cares to use.

Check the sum before you swipe, PIN or sign - some are geared to automatically charge in the currency of your card. If so, insist that it's switched to local currency. That also means that you can see that the charge is the same as the price on the check / menu / meter / price-sticker.

Same applies if your currency isn't the same as ship's currency - if for instance you're a Canadian on a US ship or an American on an Italian ship.

DECLINE any offer to charge your card for your on-board account in the currency of your card - leave it in ship's currency

Does your credit card/s charge a fee for converting foreign currency?

If so, its worth getting a card with no foreign transaction fee - even if you only use it for foreign travel.

Your fellow-countrymen can suggest suitable cards.

We have one with no foreign exchange fees- apart from avoiding fees it helps us to differentiate between that spending and our regular spending.

JB 🙂

Thank you!!

I have only traveled internationally once. Got stuck with some pounds when i got back because the banks here said they only exchange if its >$200 (or something to that effect.) So if the airport kiosks have crappy exchange rates, where else can one go to exchange? Do banks in the foreign countries exchange more modest amounts? (i had assumed not but don't know.)

8 hours ago, TwistedB said:

Do banks in the foreign countries exchange more modest amounts?

Yes, assuming they have a foreign exchange service at that branch. Many won't, so you may well be stuck with a crappy exchange rate somewhere.

Just out of interest, where would you suggest I exchange surplus dollars, after a holiday in the States? Other than exchange places at airports, we've never found another solution. American banks never seem to be able to do it.  So, we've always kept the American currency in case of a future visit, or a visit to the States by family or friends - but it's not ideal. 

This is something I hadn’t thought about. Thanks for asking!  I’ve read most places will take credit cards but some of our private excursions will only take cash. I need to figure out how much cash we will need and try not to have much more than that. We’ve also been talking about flying into London instead of Barcelona since we could could get a direct flight, take a day to tour the city, then fly to Barcelona the next day. But that would involve yet another currency. 

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

also been talking about flying into London instead of Barcelona since we could could get a direct flight, take a day to tour the city, then fly to Barcelona the next day. But that would involve yet another currency. 

Don't shortchange Barcelona. Save London for a Northern Europe trip. Eventually you will go there.

And Heathrow is a nightmare on a good day.

Just now, marazul said:

Don't shortchange Barcelona. Save London for a Northern Europe trip. Eventually you will go there.

And Heathrow is a nightmare on a good day.

We weren’t going to shortchange it. We were going to leave a day early, if we do it. All flights from Charlotte to Barcelona go through there and most also go through JFK, Atlanta, Philly or LaGuardia. We’re worried they would lose our luggage with 2 or 3 stops. The idea of a direct flight is appealing.  We’re just tossing around options. We’ve been told if we wait till November or so we may get better prices on more premium seats. 🤷‍♀️ We know it’s a gamble, but since we’ve never flown to Europe we have no idea when is the best time to buy. Also, if it’s much more expensive we wouldn’t do it. 

As for LHR, we can’t avoid it. Even flying to Barcelona from here, we have to change planes at LHR. If it’s that bad, it may be easier if we didn’t have to make a connecting flight.  The thought of all those takeoffs is terrifying!  

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Just out of interest, where would you suggest I exchange surplus dollars, after a holiday in the States? Other than exchange places at airports, we've never found another solution. American banks never seem to be able to do it.  So, we've always kept the American currency in case of a future visit, or a visit to the States by family or friends - but it's not ideal. 

Exchange booths at airports are probably your only option.  Most US banks won't have international currency to do exchanges.  We  generally have to order it in advance here and it takes a few days to get it delivered to our local bank for pickup.  There may be a few banks in the largest cities that MIGHT have some currency exchange capabilities, but you'd waste time trying to find them.  It's just not a commonly used service here, so banks don't offer it.  I have seen a handful of currency exchange "stores" in a few larger cities, but not a lot.

These days, two days early is better. Also, there's a 6-hour or more time change. I agree Heathrow is a PITA but Barcelona has had some long lines at Schengen entry/exit (maybe ETIAS will help).

Have two cards from different issuers. If one bank suddenly decides to shut off their card, you still have another.

Edited by Dancer Bob

22 minutes ago, Dancer Bob said:

Have two cards from different issuers.

Good advice. Can't recall where but we had an ATM swallow our card once - fortunately we had others with us.

MeHeartCruising - thanks for the confirmation. It'd be the same  with most banks in the UK that it'd have to be ordered. Many large supermarkets have a currency exchange desk, offering the most common dozen or so currencies (others have to be ordered). so we can usually get our dollars/euros/rands alongside a grocery trip. Benefit of living in  a small country, I suppose - we all travel. 

Edited by Harters

36 minutes ago, Dancer Bob said:

These days, two days early is better. Also, there's a 6-hour or more time change. I agree Heathrow is a PITA but Barcelona has had some long lines at Schengen entry/exit (maybe ETIAS will help).

Have two cards from different issuers. If one bank suddenly decides to shut off their card, you still have another.

Was this a reply to me?  If so, we are planning on getting to Barcelona on the 11th for a cruise on the 13th. My comment about leaving a day early was if we were to fly direct to London, we would leave home a day earlier so we would still arrive in Barcelona on the 11th. 

We always travel with multiple credit cards just in case. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We weren’t going to shortchange it. We were going to leave a day early, if we do it. All flights from Charlotte to Barcelona go through there and most also go through JFK, Atlanta, Philly or LaGuardia. We’re worried they would lose our luggage with 2 or 3 stops. The idea of a direct flight is appealing.  We’re just tossing around options. We’ve been told if we wait till November or so we may get better prices on more premium seats. 🤷‍♀️ We know it’s a gamble, but since we’ve never flown to Europe we have no idea when is the best time to buy. Also, if it’s much more expensive we wouldn’t do it. 

As for LHR, we can’t avoid it. Even flying to Barcelona from here, we have to change planes at LHR. If it’s that bad, it may be easier if we didn’t have to make a connecting flight.  The thought of all those takeoffs is terrifying!  

There are direct flights from Newark and Philadelphia if you want to avoid LHR, make one of those your connecting city. There may be some even closer to you than the PA/NJ area. And I've only been "overseas" once before this upcoming trip and it was to London. LHR was not great (I've heard horror stories!!) but the time we went it wasn't too awful.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The idea of a direct flight is appealing.  We’re just tossing around options. We’ve been told if we wait till November or so we may get better prices on more premium seats. 🤷‍♀️ We know it’s a gamble, but since we’ve never flown to Europe we have no idea when is the best time to buy. Also, if it’s much more expensive we wouldn’t do it. 

Two things firstly: I don’t know when you are going to travel and secondly if you can book flights do so as soon as you can.

I very much doubt that prices will be better in November and don’t of course know who told you this but at the moment prices are really high. An example I booked our flights as soon as they were available in January for flights for October and November and prices have now doubled and I sincerely doubt if they will become cheaper.

Also you talk of premium seats do you mean:

the best seats in economy

the best seats in premium economy (do check it is a real P.E. and not economy comfort pretending to be P.E.)

the best seats in business

If you are in doubt about pricing you can always (at a price) consider booking refundable flights.

the best seats in business class.

Happy planning

20 minutes ago, TwistedB said:

There are direct flights from Newark and Philadelphia if you want to avoid LHR, make one of those your connecting city. There may be some even closer to you than the PA/NJ area. And I've only been "overseas" once before this upcoming trip and it was to London. LHR was not great (I've heard horror stories!!) but the time we went it wasn't too awful.

Yes, we are looking at various options. At this point, I need to sit down with paper and pencil and write them down. 

4 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Two things firstly: I don’t know when you are going to travel and secondly if you can book flights do so as soon as you can.

I very much doubt that prices will be better in November and don’t of course know who told you this but at the moment prices are really high. An example I booked our flights as soon as they were available in January for flights for October and November and prices have now doubled and I sincerely doubt if they will become cheaper.

Also you talk of premium seats do you mean:

the best seats in economy

the best seats in premium economy (do check it is a real P.E. and not economy comfort pretending to be P.E.)

the best seats in business

If you are in doubt about pricing you can always (at a price) consider booking refundable flights.

the best seats in business class.

Happy planning

We plan to fly out on June 10th or so (we have flexibility because of the weekend), for a cruise out of Barcelona on the 13th. What I mean is we don’t want to fly like sardines in economy. Dh thinks PE would be sufficient but I would prefer business so I could get some sleep. I don’t think I could sleep sitting up, although perhaps I could because I will be taking Ativan just to get through takeoff.  If I thought I could sleep in PE that would be fine. 

I agree-the longer you wait, the higher prices are going to get. There was a period around a couple of weeks ago when prices were lowest, but now everything i read says prices are just climbing now. I used Hopper to watch prices but then booked through the cruise line. Hopper tells you when the decrease will be ending and prices will be going up. It has been pretty accurate when i have used it in the past for that. Something else to consider is that if you have the cruise line book your airfare then they typically cover it with their voyage insurance. Then if they get docked late or something and you miss your flight, they cover any overnight accommodations and/or flight fees.

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Yes, assuming they have a foreign exchange service at that branch. Many won't, so you may well be stuck with a crappy exchange rate somewhere.

That's a great question! LoL! I just did a little looking around. There's something here in the states called AAA. It's like a motor club but they deal in all things travel related. I just called them and some branches do offer currency exchange. The level of inconvenience would depend on where those branches are in relation to where YOU are. She also said some international bank conglomerates offer it as well like Truist, TD Bank, and Wells Fargo. Hope that helps! Happy travels!

8 minutes ago, TwistedB said:

I agree-the longer you wait, the higher prices are going to get. There was a period around a couple of weeks ago when prices were lowest, but now everything i read says prices are just climbing now. I used Hopper to watch prices but then booked through the cruise line. Hopper tells you when the decrease will be ending and prices will be going up. It has been pretty accurate when i have used it in the past for that. Something else to consider is that if you have the cruise line book your airfare then they typically cover it with their voyage insurance. Then if they get docked late or something and you miss your flight, they cover any overnight accommodations and/or flight fees.

We are cruising with two different cruise lines. We want to book our flights there ourselves so we can control them. On the way home we’re using NCL air. 

7 minutes ago, TwistedB said:

There's something here in the states called AAA.

Ah, that's interesting. In the UK, I'm a member of the AA (roadside assistance for breakdowns and  other motoring business) which gives me associate membership of the AAA. Something to bear in mind if ever we travel round the States again - my eyesight isnt what it was for driving, particularly night time, so we may be done with those trips now.