Turning leftover Euro's back in

bigsky

24 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We are cruising with two different cruise lines. We want to book our flights there ourselves so we can control them. On the way home we’re using NCL air. 

Have you already looked at prices one way? I keep considering a transatlantic but have baled out because booking single flights is sometimes double the prices of a return.

Is it not possible to add the other flights via NCL? you can always ask.

In this case pricing a return could even be cheaper.

9 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Have you already looked at prices one way? I keep considering a transatlantic but have baled out because booking single flights is sometimes double the prices of a return.

Is it not possible to add the other flights via NCL? you can always ask.

In this case pricing a return could even be cheaper.

No, NCL only allows 2 days deviation. We only have enough miles for one way flights anyway. 

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We weren’t going to shortchange it. We were going to leave a day early, if we do it. All flights from Charlotte to Barcelona go through there and most also go through JFK, Atlanta, Philly or LaGuardia. We’re worried they would lose our luggage with 2 or 3 stops. The idea of a direct flight is appealing.  We’re just tossing around options. We’ve been told if we wait till November or so we may get better prices on more premium seats. 🤷‍♀️ We know it’s a gamble, but since we’ve never flown to Europe we have no idea when is the best time to buy. Also, if it’s much more expensive we wouldn’t do it. 

As for LHR, we can’t avoid it. Even flying to Barcelona from here, we have to change planes at LHR. If it’s that bad, it may be easier if we didn’t have to make a connecting flight.  The thought of all those takeoffs is terrifying!  

I am surprised the CLT-BCN flight has been discontinued.  However, there is a new direct flight to Madrid. I would take that one, spend a day there and then take the high speed AVE train to Barcelona.

1 minute ago, marazul said:

I am surprised the CLT-BCN flight has been discontinued.  However, there is a new direct flight to Madrid. I would take that one, spend a day there and then take the high speed AVE train to Barcelona.

We are looking at several different options.  I hadn't thought of Madrid.  Thank you!  If we do this, would you suggest staying in Madrid for a day or 2 first?  The cheapest flight there is on the 9th, so that gives us an extra day to spend there or in Barcelona.  (Since the 9th is a Sunday dh wouldn't have to take an extra day of PTO so not a big deal)  I think we will have enough time in Barcelona getting there on the 11th.  I'm writing down all our options and when dh is done working today we are going to look over them.  I believe we can book now with miles and cancel later if we find a better rewards offer at a later time.  

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We are looking at several different options.  I hadn't thought of Madrid.  Thank you!  If we do this, would you suggest staying in Madrid for a day or 2 first?  The cheapest flight there is on the 9th, so that gives us an extra day to spend there or in Barcelona.  (Since the 9th is a Sunday dh wouldn't have to take an extra day of PTO so not a big deal)  I think we will have enough time in Barcelona getting there on the 11th.  I'm writing down all our options and when dh is done working today we are going to look over them.  I believe we can book now with miles and cancel later if we find a better rewards offer at a later time.  

Madrid is the logical option.  It's a nonstop flight from Charlotte and you have the option of either flying to Barcelona the same day or taking the high speed train from Madrid.  You can also take the train from the airport into Madrid. 

Madrid is a wonderful city. It would be a great opportunity to visit it.  You get there on the 10th.  It would be nice to have that day and a full day in Madrid before going to Barcelona the next day.  I would still keep your original plan of two full days in Barcelona if you can. 

Here is the train website for RENFE (train company):

https://www.renfe.com/es/en

The stations for the airport into Madrid are:

MADRID-AEROPUERTO T4 to MADRID PTA. ATOCHA-ALMUDENA

The stations from Madrid to Barcelona:

MADRID PTA. ATOCHA-ALMUDENA to BARCELONA-SANTS

The Puerta de Atocha train station is located at the base of the Paseo del Prado in Madrid. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Madrid,+Spain/@40.4061236,-3.6854276,16z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0xd422997800a3c81:0xc436dec1618c2269!8m2!3d40.4167754!4d-3.7037902!16zL20vMDU2X3k?hl=en&entry=ttu

It is a very convenient location near all the museums. There are many hotels nearby.  Rather than staying right by the station, I would recommend picking a hotel on Paseo del Prado or near it so you can walk to a lot of places.  There are many taxis available for the short ride.  From there you can taxi to go visit the Plaza Mayor, the Royal Palace, the Mercado de San Miguel (fabulous food court, much better than La Boquería in Barcelona).  There are also ho-ho buses.  And you will be near the station to take one of the frequent AVE trains to Barcelona.  The ride is under 3 hours.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Madrid is the logical option.  It's a nonstop flight from Charlotte and you have the option of either flying to Barcelona the same day or taking the high speed train from Madrid.  You can also take the train from the airport into Madrid. 

Madrid is a wonderful city. It would be a great opportunity to visit it.  You get there on the 10th.  It would be nice to have that day and a full day in Madrid before going to Barcelona the next day.  I would still keep your original plan of two full days in Barcelona if you can. 

Here is the train website for RENFE (train company):

https://www.renfe.com/es/en

The stations for the airport into Madrid are:

MADRID-AEROPUERTO T4 to MADRID PTA. ATOCHA-ALMUDENA

The stations from Madrid to Barcelona:

MADRID PTA. ATOCHA-ALMUDENA to BARCELONA-SANTS

The Puerta de Atocha train station is located at the base of the Paseo del Prado in Madrid. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Madrid,+Spain/@40.4061236,-3.6854276,16z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0xd422997800a3c81:0xc436dec1618c2269!8m2!3d40.4167754!4d-3.7037902!16zL20vMDU2X3k?hl=en&entry=ttu

It is a very convenient location near all the museums. There are many hotels nearby.  Rather than staying right by the station, I would recommend picking a hotel on Paseo del Prado or near it so you can walk to a lot of places.  There are many taxis available for the short ride.  From there you can taxi to go visit the Plaza Mayor, the Royal Palace, the Mercado de San Miguel (fabulous food court, much better than La Boquería in Barcelona).  There are also ho-ho buses.  And you will be near the station to take one of the frequent AVE trains to Barcelona.  The ride is under 3 hours.

We booked the CLT-MAD.  Thanks for all this helpful information. You are such a wealth of knowledge, which has made our planning so much easier!  

On 7/25/2023 at 4:39 AM, John Bull said:

To start off, before you travel buy yourselves just a few euros- perhaps a max of €150 between you for 7+ days in Euroland.  This is more for emergency use (eg an unexpected taxi ride) than for general spending - I find it comfortable to have some local cash in my pocket.

As I understand it, you get a poor exchange rate in the USA, but the rates at airports & on the ship are considerably worse.  Just for fun, I always like to check out the rates at airports, the difference between their buying and selling rates is truly staggering 😮 and will show how much buying and

then turning in the currency will cost you 😮😮😮

After that, rely on using your debit card at ATMs in the ports, but go armed with the names of banks which are affiliated with your own bank and try to use ATMs there rather than in shops. When prompted by the ATM, select for your card to be charged in local currency & not in your home currency.

If you prefer to use your credit card for cash withdrawals, be aware that interest is charged from the moment that it's withdrawn so pay off the card soonest rather than waiting for your statement or regular direct debit.

But that last paragraph is hardly worth reading - the best exchange rates by far are from your card issuer, and Europe uses credit cards for pretty-well every purchase, even just a coffee or a beer or a small souvenir. A few places don't even accept cash. You probably won't need to add to the euros that you bought before you travelled.

POS card readers recognise foreign currency and give you the option of being charged in local currency or the currency of your card - always but always select local currency, so that your card issuer converts rather than you being at the mercy of whatever exchange rate the merchant or their bank cares to use.

Check the sum before you swipe, PIN or sign - some are geared to automatically charge in the currency of your card. If so, insist that it's switched to local currency. That also means that you can see that the charge is the same as the price on the check / menu / meter / price-sticker.

Same applies if your currency isn't the same as ship's currency - if for instance you're a Canadian on a US ship or an American on an Italian ship.

DECLINE any offer to charge your card for your on-board account in the currency of your card - leave it in ship's currency

Does your credit card/s charge a fee for converting foreign currency?

If so, its worth getting a card with no foreign transaction fee - even if you only use it for foreign travel.

Your fellow-countrymen can suggest suitable cards.

We have one with no foreign exchange fees- apart from avoiding fees it helps us to differentiate between that spending and our regular spending.

JB 🙂

Assuming there's lots of ATM's at the Barcelona airport if I decide to just grab some euro's from there instead of ordering them from online. My bank doesn't order them anymore. I need to order online today in the next few hours to get them tmro. We fly out Thursday.

Thinking exchange rate will be better at the atm and don't have to pay a shipping fee.

Thanks

1 hour ago, bigsky said:

Assuming there's lots of ATM's at the Barcelona airport if I decide to just grab some euro's from there instead of ordering them from online. My bank doesn't order them anymore. I need to order online today in the next few hours to get them tmro. We fly out Thursday.

Thinking exchange rate will be better at the atm and don't have to pay a shipping fee.

Thanks

Good plan. Get them at the airport. 

36 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Thanks

Hi, bigsky,

Sorry, I'm out f my depth here.

There might be a bank ATM at the airport that gives a decent exchange rate.

If no-one else can help & you can't get the answer on the 'net I suggest you draw the minimum amount

And if you can't draw a minimal sum at the airport, depending on your transportation from the airport you might want to rely on just your USD and plastic until you can use a sensible ATM/

JB 

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Hi, bigsky,

Sorry, I'm out f my depth here.

There might be a bank ATM at the airport that gives a decent exchange rate.

If no-one else can help & you can't get the answer on the 'net I suggest you draw the minimum amount

And if you can't draw a minimal sum at the airport, depending on your transportation from the airport you might want to rely on just your USD and plastic until you can use a sensible ATM/

JB 

There are bank ATMs at the airport. Still,  change just enough to cover your immediate expenses for the first day.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, marazul said:

There are bank ATMs at the airport. Still,  change just enough to cover your immediate expenses for the first day.

Spain does allow banks to charge ATM fees as a head up.  Just about all are charging 5+ euros, plus then your bank will also charge a fee.

Unless the exchange rate is really bad you might as well pull out enough to cover more than your initial expenses at the airport.  

Edited by Girr
Adding info.

Another idea is to hold them and if not going again to the Euro zone tell your friends you have some and when they go on a trip sell them at the official exchange rate you see online.  Your friend will be pleased and you will get a decent exchange rate too.  That is how I got some euros (and pounds) for my first European trip.

• 2 weeks later...

ok...just returned from our cruise!  I ended up at the airport with only 23.00 in euro's. I went to a store and easily bought chocolate for us and some as a gift. I really didn't want to have some left. During the trip, I used it up as needed to avoid a lot at the end. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:19 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We had decided we wanted to book flights today and it was on our short list. We loved the direct flight and easy access to Barcelona by train. Also, a couple others also mentioned this direct flight. 

Madrid - Barcelona takes just 2h30m by high speed train

Madrid station is "Puerta de Atocha" and Barcelona station is "Sants". Both are really located in city centre (not as airports)

There are THREE different railway companies. Main one is Renfe but Iryo and Ouigo (owned by Trenitalia and French SNCF) will run trains too.

You can surf for tickets in thetrainline.com They will compare tickets with all companies and fares (use this web for any country, not only Spain).

Iryo and Renfe 1st class will include a meal as if you are flying in business.

• Thanks 1

Regarding Euro exchange, ATM and banks

- Do not try to pay in a different currency than euro. It will be hardly accepted (and with the worst exchange rate you could find). Even trying to pay in a taxi, they will drive to a bank or to an ATM and you should ask for euro there

- The best place to ask for euro are bank office. Almost any office will change any other currency into euro with better exchange rates than in airports, hotels or so. 

The problem.... almost all of them will open only 8:00 to 14:00 Monday to Friday (the will maybe open on evenings but just for special business with their customers)

- You will NOT have any problem to find an ATM in Spain. Even being in a small village you will find not one but several ATM.

For sure, in Barcelona airport and Barcelona centre will be plenty of ATM

- There are ATM fees. Ask YOUR bank about fees. They could have an agreement with any Spanish bank and, using that ATM network it will be cheaper for you

But really, ASK your bank

If your bank says you that ATM from a Spanish bank will be cheaper for you, that means all those ATM (surf on their webpage, maybe there's one in the Airport, for sure in the city centre but search where...)

For example, I have a card where I will pay in ATM

- euro currency, 3 times for free everymonth, it doesn't matter the quantity

- any other currency, 1,7% fee

which it is strongly interesting for me.

May you find a "nice" fee with a bank, it will be the best option

- Credit cards

They are quite common in Spain. In my day-to-day I pay few things in cash. Even a coffee in a cafeteria or a little purchase in a shop could be pay with card.

I am sure everyone being in Spain will need euro in cash but less cash than you could think.

So... if your fee is a percentage only (there's not a minimal, nor a fix fee for every change) try to ask the minimal quantity of cash every time.

Hint, It is hard to use American Express or Diners club cards in Spain

Mastercard and Visa are welcome in almost all places

- Returning euro. 

Ask your bank if they will accept it. If they do, I am pretty sure their rates will be the best ones.

if they do not... a Spanish bank is better than any other option and do not expect to have nice fares in the airport.

Nevertheless, try to assume to go back with euro. You will use them in the future in any other European country, even in the Caribean islands or give them to a friend or relative who will be travelling back.

Last time I had to use currency in holidays, I traveled with nothing and requested in the first ATM I could. I got a "reasonable" quantity, assuming that maybe in a week I should ask more money in the ATM.

After 10 days I hadn't spend all the money (I was paying almost all by card) and I started to pay in cash just to spend those banknotes. At the end... a few money I keep as a souvenir.

8 hours ago, alserrod said:

- You will NOT have any problem to find an ATM in Spain. Even being in a small village you will find not one but several ATM.

For sure, in Barcelona airport and Barcelona centre will be plenty of ATM

- There are ATM fees. Ask YOUR bank about fees. They could have an agreement with any Spanish bank and, using that ATM network it will be cheaper for you

But really, ASK your bank

If your bank says you that ATM from a Spanish bank will be cheaper for you, that means all those ATM (surf on their webpage, maybe there's one in the Airport, for sure in the city centre but search where...)

Keep in mind banks in Spain are authorized to charge ATM transaction fee in addition to any fees your bank changes.  I've been charged between 3 to 7 euros.  I minimize my ATM withdrawals in Spain.  

54 minutes ago, Girr said:

Keep in mind banks in Spain are authorized to charge ATM transaction fee in addition to any fees your bank changes.  I've been charged between 3 to 7 euros.  I minimize my ATM withdrawals in Spain.  

I know. For that reason, please ask for fees in any ATM (it can be 3, can be 7, can be...) and consider how affordable it is.

I just suggest that it can worth to request cash in ATM instead of exchange desks.

• 2 months later...

Great thread! 

I have questions. How did the transfer to train in Madrid go? Did you end up spending a night in Madrid first before heading to Barcelona? Any issues with luggage on the train? Any recommended hotel in Madrid?

Regarding Euros: When planning for a cruise in the US I bring a lot of cash for tips and gratuities. Tips for porters at the port, tips for shuttle drivers, tips for tour guides etc. How much cash in Euros is enough to have on hand? Also, is it still appropriate to tip those on board using dollars? (Those who aren’t tipped automatically such as Suites lounge servers, concierge, etc.)

I hadn’t considered Madrid for the trip we are planning, but there are nonstops from our home airport of DFW, so I’m definitely intrigued!

Hi,

In Madrid, for a lot of times, it has been 15 minutes enough to transfer from one to another train.

You must get off platforms area when you arrive and check in again (ticket control) and entry into platforms area again. It is indicated (also in English) and you shouldn't have to have any problem.

Boarding time is just to minutes before departure (instead of a plane where it takes 30-40 minutes before departure).

Definitely, for a city centre to city centre journey in Spain, plane doesn't worth in most of cases, as far as railway stations are located in city centre and it is very fast to board.

Using mobiles and laptops in the train is welcome and you will find wifi inside, They will have a bar where you can ask for a snack when travelling, or you can bring it before checkin without problems (and you can bring all water bottles you want, there's no control like in airports).

The best page for schedules is this one

https://www.thetrainline.com/en-us

You can use for any country. In the case of Spain you will find different trains and companies. All of them have enough comfort and take the same time (time differences will be if they are direct, they have an intermediate stop or further stops only)

PS. This picture is part of Madrid-Atocha station

istockphoto-894934784-612x612.jpg