Noise near lifts/stairs on Valiant Lady.

DeclanDiamond

We've been allocated a guaranteed Sea Terrace cabin 9022 for our October sailing. I notice that it is right at the back of the ship opposite the block that houses the lifts and stairs. I am wondering if this position will be really noisy and if so, do I have any options to move considering it's a guarantee cabin. Can I pay to move to a  better located cabin?

Appreciate any comments/advice.

42 minutes ago, DeclanDiamond said:

We had probably the closest sea terrace to the midship elevators on our last cruise--no noise issues at all.  What you can do is to call you travel agent and ask whether you can be moved to a different sea terrace cabin, bid on another cabin like a central sea terrace or XL (no guarantee that you'd be assigned away from elevators though and you might lose your hammock with an XL), or....if you didn't use an agent, call VV and ask about moving now.  If the answer to those is "no," when you check at the terminal, there is a desk where you can inquire about moving or upgrades.  Finally, you can try the room where you are assigned and if there is a problem, go to Sailor Services on the ship and they will usually move you if they have a room available.   And then you can report back to us as to whether there were issues or not.  I'd probably go with the last option--try it and inquire at Sailor Services if there is an issue.  We had no noise issues at all during our multiple cruises.

• Like 1

The back stairs/elevators are quieter than the mid-ship ones, I doubt it will be much of an issue.  Of course, that does depend somewhat on how sensitive you are to noises, but on other ships, most of the noise from the stairs/elevators seems to come more from the children running up and down the halls and that won't be an issue on VV.

• Like 2

I've stayed in an 022 cabin on a different deck, it's really quiet, hardly anyone needs to walk past. I was never disturbed by noise. Occasionally you hear music from the Dock if you are on the balcony but that's usually nice and not loud. It's really convenient for the Dock and going up to the Galley, almost no distance to get to the stairs or lifts. I would always choose a cabin in that location.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

We had probably the closest sea terrace to the midship elevators on our last cruise--no noise issues at all.  What you can do is to call you travel agent and ask whether you can be moved to a different sea terrace cabin, bid on another cabin like a central sea terrace or XL (no guarantee that you'd be assigned away from elevators though and you might lose your hammock with an XL), or....if you didn't use an agent, call VV and ask about moving now.  If the answer to those is "no," when you check at the terminal, there is a desk where you can inquire about moving or upgrades.  Finally, you can try the room where you are assigned and if there is a problem, go to Sailor Services on the ship and they will usually move you if they have a room available.   And then you can report back to us as to whether there were issues or not.  I'd probably go with the last option--try it and inquire at Sailor Services if there is an issue.  We had no noise issues at all during our multiple cruises.

Thank you so much for your quick and comprehensive response. I was going to ring VV tomorrow, but might well take your advice and see what the cabin is actually like. Thanks again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

The back stairs/elevators are quieter than the mid-ship ones, I doubt it will be much of an issue.  Of course, that does depend somewhat on how sensitive you are to noises, but on other ships, most of the noise from the stairs/elevators seems to come more from the children running up and down the halls and that won't be an issue on VV.

Thanks so much for your response. The lack of children activity does make sense. Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, starbar36 said:

I've stayed in an 022 cabin on a different deck, it's really quiet, hardly anyone needs to walk past. I was never disturbed by noise. Occasionally you hear music from the Dock if you are on the balcony but that's usually nice and not loud. It's really convenient for the Dock and going up to the Galley, almost no distance to get to the stairs or lifts. I would always choose a cabin in that location.

That's great to hear and reassuring, thanks for your time. 

Stayed in 12022 on Valiant Lady - Christmas week, ship not totally full, but quite busy.  Cabin door opened into the lobby for the aft elevators.  I was initially worried when I arrived onboard, but it ended up I heard little to no noise from the elevator area, and had no music "bleed" from the dock area.  Aft elevators only seemed to be used by those staying in the aft area and weren't super busy.  During the cruise I realized I was happy not to be mid-ships (and higher decks), as the music from the central pool area was LOUD and I can only imagine what it would be like on party nights (if you didn't want to participate in the party, that is!)

I liked the location (and my next VV is in a cabin close to the aft elevators) and being "easy" access to the Dock (where I spent some time!) and the only draw back is the majority of the restaurants (Razzle, Extra Virgin, Test Kitchen etc.) being midships and you can't "walk through" on that level, so you either have to walk to the midship elevators or go down to 7 and then walk forward to the midship stairs/elevator area.  Likewise with gangway access which was normally midships. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We've stayed in that location on 8 several times. In fact, we've booked the same cabin for all of our future cruises. You have nothing to worry about. The mid-ship stairs are much busier.

Thanks so much, that's reassuring.

14 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

Stayed in 12022 on Valiant Lady - Christmas week, ship not totally full, but quite busy.  Cabin door opened into the lobby for the aft elevators.  I was initially worried when I arrived onboard, but it ended up I heard little to no noise from the elevator area, and had no music "bleed" from the dock area.  Aft elevators only seemed to be used by those staying in the aft area and weren't super busy.  During the cruise I realized I was happy not to be mid-ships (and higher decks), as the music from the central pool area was LOUD and I can only imagine what it would be like on party nights (if you didn't want to participate in the party, that is!)

I liked the location (and my next VV is in a cabin close to the aft elevators) and being "easy" access to the Dock (where I spent some time!) and the only draw back is the majority of the restaurants (Razzle, Extra Virgin, Test Kitchen etc.) being midships and you can't "walk through" on that level, so you either have to walk to the midship elevators or go down to 7 and then walk forward to the midship stairs/elevator area.  Likewise with gangway access which was normally midships. 

Excellent stuff. Thanks so much for your comprehensive and informative reply. I hadn't factored in the close proximity and ease to access the Dock.

Just stayed in an XL terrace room closest to the Aft elevators (028A), and I heard no sound in the hallways, none from our neighbors, and rarely outside on the balcony. The music at the Dock House is meant to be relaxing and chill, suitable for those wanting to relax or read on daybeds so there were no raucous parties. The Dock House, Dock bar, and juice bar were our favorite hang out places so it was perfect for us. The only issue is you must walk through deck 7 to get across.   

Edited by mlmnop
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Are you sure it was an XL room? They are all at the fore of the ship.

I was on the Resilient Lady, probably a larger ship for longer trips?  

OP, you can look at deck configurations for the Valiant Lady on the VV website to get what you want. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mlmnop said:

I was on the Resilient Lady, probably a larger ship for longer trips?  

OP, you can look at deck configurations for the Valiant Lady on the VV website to get what you want. 

All the ships have the same capacity and layouts are pretty much the same with XL terrace rooms towards the fore. As you say can see it on the deck plans.

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

All the ships have the same capacity and layouts are pretty much the same with XL terrace rooms towards the fore. As you say can see it on the deck plans.

Thanks, I see now my promised upgrade bid was not processed nor addressed in person.  I'll follow up with VV post haste.  Can't say this soured my trip as we were quite happy with our trip and location. But certainly a matter that will be addressed as I did receive emails.

1 hour ago, mlmnop said:

Thanks, I see now my promised upgrade bid was not processed nor addressed in person.  I'll follow up with VV post haste.  Can't say this soured my trip as we were quite happy with our trip and location. But certainly a matter that will be addressed as I did receive emails.

Oh that is annoying then if you won the upgrade but the room didn’t get assigned.