Alaska - June or July

DW and I sailed twice this summer, middle of June and middle of July. 

DW liked the July weather better, as she did not require room to pack her winter coat.  I found the weather on board while sailing in June to be too cold, but July was very tolerable.

Eddie

On 7/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

We are debating a first time cruise to Alaska in either June or July.  We would go from Anchorage to Vancouver with a 3-4 day pre-cruise land tour.  We are looking at a cruise either mid-June or late July.

Is there any reason we should consider June over July OR July over June?  Is either month nicer, more daylight or less likely to rain?

The cruises would be the same price and we are open to either.  Websites seem to state any time from 5/15-9/15 for Alaska.

Thanks so much.

We went mid-June and it was perfect. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Alaska, and it truly would be hit or miss with the weather. You definitely chose the best option doing a full cruise tour and doing the one-way cruise. I have done that cruise in May, June, and July and had everything from cold raining and windy all the way up to sunny and warm and swimming in the pool and everything in between. I would say in either month to plan on most days being in the 50s to low 60 with at least some rainy days. Late May and early June pricing is generally better than July.

• Like 1

We just got back from 2 weeks in Alaska, last 2 weeks in July.  I know weather is hit and miss.  We had a total rain out in Juneau, cold at the glacier and found the interior of Alaska warmer than than the cruise. I’m not sure we had a day over 72.  

We wouldn’t have enjoyed it as much if it had been colder.  We took jackets, raincoats and sweatshirts. Most days started in the 50’s. We took shorts but never wore them.  I used gloves on whales watches and the glacier.  ( We spent over 2 hours right at the front of the ship at the glacier and the wind was really cold.  If you stayed on your balcony while the ship spun it would be warmer.) Since it was over 100 in Texas the whole time we were gone we enjoyed it. 

To help you answer the question I think anytime is great, just take enough warm and cold clothing so you’re prepared. Raincoats, in my opinion, were a must. We stayed dry on a hike while it rained the entire time. We were also thankful for waterproof high tops for DH and Sperrys for me.