Looking at Vista Suites on Koningsdam Deck 4

Tom O.

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

If you stay at the Best Western Yacht Harbor, even the one night before, you get the next 7 days FREE! and subsequent days at a reasonable rate. And they have a shuttle!

Thanks Crystal, that is a good idea. We will need to stay in a motel anyway. I will look into it.

Does that shuttle from Best Western go to the cruise terminal?

I just made a reservation at that Best Western! First I called the hotel to make sure this was still their policy, and it was. Also their shuttle does go to the cruise terminal - it does not go to the airport. If there is more time needed it is only $5 per day.

Also I was surprised to see how cheap the room was. Just $109 per night.

What a deal. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Tom O.
  • Haha 2

Steve and I stayed at the Best Western on our last circle Hawaii cruise.  Great restaurants right across the street at the marina.  Also, enjoyed walking around the marina.  We took a taxi to the airport.  It is close and the ride was cheap.

I wish we could still drive to San Diego.  My husband has lost most of his vision and I don't enjoy driving.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, crystalspin said:

The difference in furniture arrangement could be a pro or con. If you like to come in from the hall and sit down at the desk or sofa, VS is good! If you are travelling with an adjoining cabin, with the balconies open between and want to use it as a connection to the 'social' areas of the cabins, OR you like to sit on the sofa and look out at the ocean -- the arrangement of the Verandahs would be better.

Excellent point. When we booked our Nov. Koingsdam cruise, we wanted to be in an Aft facing cabin. When we booked there was one Aft facing Verandah cabin and one Aft facing Vista cabin available. When we looked at the bed locations on HAL facts, we decide to go with the Verandah with the bed location closer to the bathroom VS the Vista with the bed close to the window and balcony door. My wife is a late sleeper, and I am not, so when on a cruise I will go out to the balcony to sit and enjoy the ocean while she sleeps in. We decided the extra space was not worth having the bed next to the balcony door where I would disturb her when I went out in the mornings,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:59 AM, crystalspin said:

Pluses the slightly larger room, the location (near but buffered from the midship elevator bank and one flight of stairs to the Grand Dutch Cafe), and the double Mariner points when booked at rack-rate as opposed to an upgrade/upsell.

Hi there! @crystalspin

looking thru reviews and found your comment to someone on the Vista Suites.  We have one on 4 for the 35 day cruise, and I was wondering about the "double Mariner points" comment.  Do we have to request that? or will they credit it once the cruise is completed?

I noted the Dutch Cafe right below us- perfect to go down for specialty coffee and then back to the verandah to relax.  and seemed to be over a quiet area.  I usually only book with staterooms above and below and to each side of us, but this looked like it would be ok.

Thanks again for handling the main roll call for our cruise!

It is true that regular veranda rooms and vista suites are not much different from each other. But I think when HAL lays out a deck plan, they pick the better located rooms and make them vista suites. So when you pay extra for a vista suite, you are also paying for a more desirable location.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homer88 said:

Vista Suites.  We have one on 4 for the 35 day cruise, and I was wondering about the "double Mariner points" comment.  Do we have to request that? or will they credit it once the cruise is completed?

I noted the Dutch Cafe right below us- perfect to go down for specialty coffee and then back to the verandah to relax.  and seemed to be over a quiet area.  I usually only book with staterooms above and below and to each side of us, but this looked like it would be ok.

You paid the current rate, even if a Promo fare; you will get double points for having a Suite. Only people who take a paid upgrade (commonly after final payment) do not. If you have HIA or an alcoholic drink package, you will get triple points, or very close. (I've always got those points until our last cruise, when we got 5 "spending points" on a 7-day cruise. Still made 4-Star so I didn't make a fuss about it!

You do not have to ask for it; it will just appear on your Mariner Society statement a while after cruise completion. My memory is a week to 10-days after.

We are on the same deck 4 "bump". We are over Future Cruises, and you are over the Front Desk, which should be quite quiet unless a complainer gets loud! Your travelling companions are partially over a white area on the deckplans that may be associated with the MDR, but it has no connection to MDR on deck 3, so I'm guessing food storage with dumb waiters to the main galley below. Nonetheless, they should bring earplugs!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

You paid the current rate, even if a Promo fare; you will get double points for having a Suite. Only people who take a paid upgrade (commonly after final payment) do not. If you have HIA or an alcoholic drink package, you will get triple points, or very close. (I've always got those points until our last cruise, when we got 5 "spending points" on a 7-day cruise. Still made 4-Star so I didn't make a fuss about it!

You do not have to ask for it; it will just appear on your Mariner Society statement a while after cruise completion. My memory is a week to 10-days after.

We are on the same deck 4 "bump". We are over Future Cruises, and you are over the Front Desk, which should be quite quiet unless a complainer gets loud! Your travelling companions are partially over a white area on the deckplans that may be associated with the MDR, but it has no connection to MDR on deck 3, so I'm guessing food storage with dumb waiters to the main galley below. Nonetheless, they should bring earplugs!

thanks!

• Like 1