Looking at Vista Suites on Koningsdam Deck 4

Tom O.

I have never been on the Koningsdam, and I have never booked a suite before. But on the cruise I am looking at the price difference is not much for a Veranda.

The vista Suites on the 4th deck are on parts of the ship that stick out slightly. This sounds good to me, but are these room a good choice? What are the cons and pluses of these rooms.

Thanks in advance,

Hullo—

They’re lovely cabins, provided your expectations are in line with what is listed on the inclusions page on HAL’s website.

Vistas are a “little bit” bigger than Verandahs; are laid out to make 3rd passengers much more comfortable, but do NOT receive full suite services (which HAL, mostly, calls “Club Orange”).

Deck 4 is lovely on Koningsdam. Some cabins on that deck have very nice sized balconies.

Check out halfacts.com for specific cabin reviews. (It’s free and requires no signup.)

55 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

The vista Suites on the 4th deck are on parts of the ship that stick out slightly. This sounds good to me, but are these room a good choice? What are the cons and pluses of these rooms.

Hi Tom! 

Pluses the slightly larger room, the location (near but buffered from the midship elevator bank and one flight of stairs to the Grand Dutch Cafe), and the double Mariner points when booked at rack-rate as opposed to an upgrade/upsell.

Only con is the cost!

The difference in furniture arrangement could be a pro or con. If you like to come in from the hall and sit down at the desk or sofa, VS is good! If you are travelling with an adjoining cabin, with the balconies open between and want to use it as a connection to the 'social' areas of the cabins, OR you like to sit on the sofa and look out at the ocean -- the arrangement of the Verandahs would be better.

As far as halfacts.com, a site I love, for the Pinnacle class -- both Verandahs and Vista Suites are marked "V" (a few Vistas are marked MS for minisuite). If you see the bed near the balcony, it is a Vista Suite. Or you can check back and forth with the deck plan.

We booked 4100 on the K'dam for a B2B (16 days total) last winter, to push us over the 4* line with the double mariner points and to use up pandemic FCC that was to expire. We liked the room and particularly the location enough that we are booked in the same cabin for the 35-day South Pacific!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We grabbed an upsell to a Vista suite a few years back on the Konningsdam.  

We were pumped.  It was our first "suite" experience.

We were underwhelmed.  The cabin seemed only slightly larger than our go to VF verandah cabins.  Nothing else do I recall in amenities or features or services.

We will not do that again.  Lesson learned. 

Of course, YMMV but just passing along our experience.......

Thanks a bunch. We have not cruised since our last one was cancelled because of Covid.

Since that time, my wife has become partially handicapped, and we though we might never get to cruise again.

We decided we could try cruising with a wheelchair. We would not use a regular wheelchair, just what they call a transport chair which requires someone to push it (that would be me). We don't need an accessible room since she can still walk short distances.

I was wondering if HAL still allows people to order a meal out of the dinning room to be delivered to the room. That would be easier for us than going to the dining room.

I was on the K'dam last year in Alaska. Enjoyed a Vista aft cabin AS7192. Slightly larger room than the basic veranda. But, the sheltered balcony was twice as large. Enough room for two loungers and a wheelchair. At the right price, this stateroom would be comfortable.

Alaska Koningsdam Day 3 Juneau DSC_0751.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Thanks a bunch. We have not cruised since our last one was cancelled because of Covid.

Since that time, my wife has become partially handicapped, and we though we might never get to cruise again.

We decided we could try cruising with a wheelchair. We would not use a regular wheelchair, just what they call a transport chair which requires someone to push it (that would be me). We don't need an accessible room since she can still walk short distances.

I was wondering if HAL still allows people to order a meal out of the dinning room to be delivered to the room. That would be easier for us than going to the dining room.

Yes, they still allow you to call room service within the first hour of dining room service to have your meal delivered to your room.

I’ve cruised a few times with people who use wheelchairs intermittently— and I would fairly strongly recommend checking if a wheelchair-friendly cabin is available. If it’s not available, it’s good to know that you’d be fine with a standard cabin… but the auto-opening doors and wider spaces in room layout can help a lot with feeling confident with balance and stability on a moving vessel.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I was on the K'dam last year in Alaska. Enjoyed a Vista aft cabin AS7192. Slightly larger room than the basic veranda. But, the sheltered balcony was twice as large. Enough room for two loungers and a wheelchair. At the right price, this stateroom would be comfortable.

Alaska Koningsdam Day 3 Juneau DSC_0751.jpg

I would love to have an aft cabin, but this cruise is next January and all aft cabins are booked,

3 hours ago, Tom O. said:

I would love to have an aft cabin, but this cruise is next January and all aft cabins are booked,

What cruise are you looking at? I see 4194 available for the combined Baja-Hawaii Collectors Cruise...

If you are only doing one leg of that, and they have "saved" the Aft Vista Suite so it doesn't show to the individual parts, your PCC or TA may be able to contact "Inventory" to break it free of the constriction!

• Like 1

I have been on the Koningsdam twice, both with Verandas. One was on deck 4 with an extended deck, (which we loved, loved, loved...the deck is huge)  and the other was on deck 7. 

One of the biggest advantages of having a Vista is that you get double mariner points.  As well, because the couch is before the bedroom area, a wheelchair or rollator can be parked there.  However, there is plenty of room between the closet wall and the bed in a verandah. I'm attaching a link to a video I did of the verandah, room 4191 on deck 4.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tom O. said:

...my wife has become partially handicapped, and we though we might never get to cruise again.

I believe you are the TomO. that helped me so much when choosing a cabin on (I think) the Coral Princess with your database of covered balconies. I only hope to help you as much! 

Sorry to hear of your wife's impairment, but happy to hear you are going to cruise again. I think the Vista Suite will be a fine solution: either Aft for the views, if you can get it, or mid-ships for the convenience. 

PS we never did cruise on Princess, but I still remember you! Please, ask any questions about the K'dam!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I believe you are the TomO. that helped me so much when choosing a cabin on (I think) the Coral Princess with your database of covered balconies. I only hope to help you as much! 

Sorry to hear of your wife's impairment, but happy to hear you are going to cruise again. I think the Vista Suite will be a fine solution: either Aft for the views, if you can get it, or mid-ships for the convenience. 

PS we never did cruise on Princess, but I still remember you! Please, ask any questions about the K'dam!

Yes that was me. I sailed on Princess for several years, then switched to HAL.

Thanks for the tip on that aft balcony room. I am waiting for my TA to get back to me. It is strange that when I start to make a faux booking on the HAL website, I find several rooms available on the 4th deck (midships), but she says they are not available when she tries to book them.

It is just the 7 day Sea of Cortez cruise we are looking at. We have done several cruises to Mexico, but have not done the Sea of Cortez option.

We picked this cruise, because San Diego is close enough to drive to, My wife is not ready to try flying quite yet. Also, living in Southwest Utah, means we have to drive a long distance to get to a major airport (Las Vegas) so I might as well keep driving to San Diego.

• Like 2

I am booked. My TA called HAL about that aft cabin, but they would not budge - they are holding it aside, hoping someone will reserve it for the combined cruise.

But I did get my first choice for the midships cabin, room 4106.

I realize that the Vista Suite is not a real suite, that it is just a little larger than a regular veranda room. But the price difference was small and I really like the idea of a small couch.

Just curious, what deck is the emergency drill done on the Koningsdam?

Thank you everyone, for your advice.

Tom

• Like 1

We had an aft Vista suite on the Koningsdam in late 2021.  Cabin 4213.  I honestly could not tell that it was any larger than a standard Verandah.  Love aft cabins, but prefer the couch to be next to the balcony since we spend time eating and relaxing there.

24 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

I am booked. My TA called HAL about that aft cabin, but they would not budge - they are holding it aside, hoping someone will reserve it for the combined cruise.

I realize that the Vista Suite is not a real suite, that it is just a little larger than a regular veranda room. But the price difference was small and I really like the idea of a small couch.

Tom

There is a small couch in the verandahs on the K - not just the Vista Suites.

there is no “emergency drill” per se.  You watch the video on your tv, check out your life jacket and then take your key card to your muster station to have it scanned.  there may or may not be a mini talk.

I had one of the aft extended balconies and my key card was scanned in the MDR.  Fair warning - the aft elevators are slow due to luggage loading & people getting there - you may be better off using the mid ship elevator and proceeding there if that is your “scan” location.

28 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Tom

When you get on, ask guest services about passengers in wheel chairs and procedure for her to have her card scanned. You have to watch a video on cabin TV. Then you walk down (before 3 pm) to the deck location (specified onboard) to have your card scanned at an internal meeting spot depending on muster number. 

1 hour ago, Tom O. said:

Glad you are booked! 4106 is two doors from "our" cabin 4100. Which means the bathroom door, the loveseat, and the head of the bed will be on the righthand side as you come in from the hall. The closets, desk, and TV will be on the left. Here is a video of your very cabin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxz0DyJj-q4

We just loved the midship location -- reduced the number of times having to traverse the length of the ship in one go, to almost none. I think we went from the Crows Nest to Tamarind restaurant once and it did seem a LONG ways!

I watched @leerathje Leanne's video of the Verandah cabin and it did seem significantly "tighter". And I think coming in to the more open area of the sofa/desk will be more convenient with the transport chair; you can park it either in front of the cabinet by the sofa (that contains the pool-towels and I forget what else), or move the coffee-table cube to there and park the chair at the wall end of the sofa. 

You have gotten good answers for the muster-drill. I believe our safety-meeting scan of cards was two decks down in the Ocean Bar. It's a little bit of a blur!

4 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Times have changed since my last cruise on HAL, I remember standing in the rain on the promenade deck to practice the drill.

Tom

Those days are over on all the HAL ships.  You just get your key card scanned.  But you HAVE to watch the video.  You won’t get anything else on the TV until you do.

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Yes that was me. I sailed on Princess for several years, then switched to HAL.

Thanks for the tip on that aft balcony room. I am waiting for my TA to get back to me. It is strange that when I start to make a faux booking on the HAL website, I find several rooms available on the 4th deck (midships), but she says they are not available when she tries to book them.

It is just the 7 day Sea of Cortez cruise we are looking at. We have done several cruises to Mexico, but have not done the Sea of Cortez option.

We picked this cruise, because San Diego is close enough to drive to, My wife is not ready to try flying quite yet. Also, living in Southwest Utah, means we have to drive a long distance to get to a major airport (Las Vegas) so I might as well keep driving to San Diego.

One more question. Does anybody have any tips on parking in San Diego. I found a service that charges $25 per day and has a shuttle to the pier. I seem to remember HAL having an arrangement with some parking lot, and I would book it through HAL This was at least 15 years ago, and probably doesn't exist anymore.

12 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

One more question. Does anybody have any tips on parking in San Diego. I found a service that charges $25 per day and has a shuttle to the pier. I seem to remember HAL having an arrangement with some parking lot, and I would book it through HAL This was at least 15 years ago, and probably doesn't exist anymore.

If you stay at the Best Western Yacht Harbor, even the one night before, you get the next 7 days FREE! and subsequent days at a reasonable rate. And they have a shuttle! The port itself has no parking of its own anymore. We don't need the hotel (we drive down from Orange County, after driving there from Moab), but are still going to stay there for the parking!

The next most reasonable I found is Bayfront Garage Cruise through Airport Parking Connection.com, at $15/day + $22 surcharge. And no shuttle.

Last winter, we parked in the Wyndham Bayside parking lot for $25/day ($400 for the B2B) and thought ourselves lucky (it was over NYE and all of the other nearby parking had black-out for that night). It is literally across the street from the port, with a little dogleg for the crosswalk. But their rates have gone up.

Edited by crystalspin

1 hour ago, Sherry H said:

Hey Tom, where in SW Utah do you live.  We are in St George and find it convenient to fly St George to Phoenix then on to San Diego with American Airlines. 

We are in Cedar City, I have flown out of Cedar City and St. George many times. Flights out of these two airports have recently gone up in price dramatically lately.

For this trip I think we will just drive.