If Glacier Bay is NOT an Option, What's the Next "Best"

MississippiMom

I have, repeatedly, read that you MUST go to Glacier Bay.  It looks beautiful in the photos, but I'm not convinced that I'm willing to select our cruise based solely on that one stop/port/viewing.  I thought I was only going to look at Glacier Bay itineraries, but now I'm thinking that our focus might need to be what kind of excursions are available at the port stops.  While I'm certain that my husband and I would appreciate the views at Glacier Bay, I don't want to limit our options.  There's a lot to consider, like flight costs to Seattle versus Vancouver and/or Whittier or Seward.  We already know that a late July, August or early September time frame for an Alaskan cruise will work the best with our life schedules.  

Curious what non-Glacier Bay itinerary stops have been your favorites/can't miss.

You need to include at least 1 major Glacier visit on any cruise to AK.  Besides the fact that Glacier Bay is glorious another advantage of Glacier Bay is that you almost always get in.  Hubbard Glacier is also glorious but the problem w Hubbard is that many times you will not get into Hubbard because of ice conditions so if you pick your cruise based on getting into Hubbard you may be disappointed.  

I will also point out that as you sail into Whittier on Princess there is some excellent glacier viewing on Prince William Sound.  You can also book a small boat glacier cruise out of Whittier on Prince William Sound that gets you better viewing of the Glaciers there.

DON

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:51 AM, MississippiMom said:

I have, repeatedly, read that you MUST go to Glacier Bay.  It looks beautiful in the photos, but I'm not convinced that I'm willing to select our cruise based solely on that one stop/port/viewing.  I thought I was only going to look at Glacier Bay itineraries, but now I'm thinking that our focus might need to be what kind of excursions are available at the port stops.  While I'm certain that my husband and I would appreciate the views at Glacier Bay, I don't want to limit our options.  There's a lot to consider, like flight costs to Seattle versus Vancouver and/or Whittier or Seward.  We already know that a late July, August or early September time frame for an Alaskan cruise will work the best with our life schedules.  

Curious what non-Glacier Bay itinerary stops have been your favorites/can't miss.

Prior to booking an Alaska cruise and itinerary, I'll suggest you need to determine your priorities, as if this is your first visit, you can't see everything. Do you plan to return, or is it 1 and done, will also factor into your decision making.

With having worked cruise ships in Alaska for 2 seasons and multiple round trips from Vancouver as a pax, I am one that suggests Glacier Bay is a must see, not because it has the best glaciers, because they aren't the best. I suggest GB because of the overall full day package - wildlife viewing, glacier viewing, Park Ranger discussions/presentations. It is a relaxed day, without having to get off the ship and you can set your own schedule, rather than a shore-ex guide's schedule. Lastly, the primary benefit of GB is being almost guaranteed to view and be reasonably up close to at least 1 glacier. In well over a couple dozen Alaska cruises, I have never failed to enter GB and get close to a glacier(s).

Other glaciers may be more spectacular, but you don't have the same almost guaranteed access

- Tracy Arm - in all my cruises to Alaska, only ever made it in once, due to floating ice. Late season you have a higher probability of getting access. Very scenic, but low probability.

- Yakutat Bay/Hubbard Glacier - one of the largest and most impressive glaciers. I have missed the glacier a few times, due to ice in the channel, especially early season. No Park Rangers and other than the glacier, not as overall scenic as GB.

- College Fiord - northbound to Whittier we have done this a number of times. Very scenic and great glaciers. As a bonus, in Whittier, we once booked the local small boat tour - 26 Glaciers, which was a spectacular day. With more limited visits, I have never failed to visit College Glacier.

- Meadenhall Glacier - just outside Juneau, you can get a shore-ex, local city bus of taxi to the visitor centre. 

Of non-glacier stops, I enjoy Sitka and Skagway. Although been to Skagway so many times that these days I take a stroll up to and around the lower lake, then to the brewery for a pint.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

. . .

Other glaciers may be more spectacular, but you don't have the same almost guaranteed access

- Tracy Arm - in all my cruises to Alaska, only ever made it in once, due to floating ice. Late season you have a higher probability of getting access. Very scenic, but low probability.

- Yakutat Bay/Hubbard Glacier - one of the largest and most impressive glaciers. I have missed the glacier a few times, due to ice in the channel, especially early season. No Park Rangers and other than the glacier, not as overall scenic as GB.

- College Fiord - northbound to Whittier we have done this a number of times. Very scenic and great glaciers. As a bonus, in Whittier, we once booked the local small boat tour - 26 Glaciers, which was a spectacular day. With more limited visits, I have never failed to visit College Glacier.

- Meadenhall Glacier - just outside Juneau, you can get a shore-ex, local city bus of taxi to the visitor centre. 

Of non-glacier stops, I enjoy Sitka and Skagway. Although been to Skagway so many times that these days I take a stroll up to and around the lower lake, then to the brewery for a pint.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this kind of detail.  It helps a whole lot.

• Like 1

I have missed Hubbard Glacier and lately, I have gone but have not gotten close. Out of multiple visits, I have only had 1 good stop at Hubbard Glacier.

Always successful at Glacier Bay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1