Formal nights on Arvia

majortom10

58 minutes ago, lebreos said:

They are 99% of the time sea days

2 on Arvia and Iona on 14nts - 4 on the rest of the fleet

4 on the rest of the fleet for 14 nights except when it is 3 as it was on Aurora this month when the penultimate day was Cobn so no formal night. Arcadia next week for 21 nights has 6 listed including the penultimate day is Liverpool.

Hope it is OK to ask on here but just wondering what people wear for formal nights in the Caribbean? Hubby has a nice light coloured jacket and trousers etc and me some light dresses but not sure if black tie etc and long dark dresses are quite right for the Caribbean.

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hope it is OK to ask on here but just wondering what people wear for formal nights in the Caribbean? Hubby has a nice light coloured jacket and trousers etc and me some light dresses but not sure if black tie etc and long dark dresses are quite right for the Caribbean.

Why not the ship is the same temperature as it is on Winter cruises to Norway. They air con can be fierce. Most people wear what they would wear on any formal night. 

Ive worn and seen lots of peeps in formal in the Caribbean, done 2 down there one on Ventura 1 on Britannia. Aircon inside was working ok. P&O dress code still says dark jacket and tie, as no Black and white themed formal nights at the moment as far as I know.

• Like 1

Just now, daiB said:

Why not the ship is the same temperature as it is on Winter cruises to Norway. They air con can be fierce. Most people wear what they would wear on any formal night. 

Thanks.  Wasn't sure. We have always taken full formal gear on Med cruises but for some reason I can't see it in my head for the Caribbean. Too much Miss Marple I guess....... do I want to be in black in Barbados? Not sure ...... and we have always followed the dress code.  

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks.  Wasn't sure. We have always taken full formal gear on Med cruises but for some reason I can't see it in my head for the Caribbean. Too much Miss Marple I guess....... do I want to be in black in Barbados? Not sure ...... and we have always followed the dress code.  

Can confirm a lot of the gents wear white or cream DJ for formal rather than the black but standards are maintained.  Apart from that formal night is very much the same and well adhered to. 

Still lots of sparkling dresses and tops on Britannia as well, not many little black dresses more bright ones and lots of floaty cotton dresses.  Last year we had four formal nights including two Celebration nights.  It can be a bit of a phaff for the gents because of the luggage allowance - my OH sends his shirts to be laundered rather than doing the laundry ourselves and therefore only needs two but brings a selection of ties and cufflinks to be different every time. 

There's generally a Caribbean night where all the staff wear tropical shirts etc. It used to tie in with the theme night, you’ll still find a large number wearing tropical dress and all the ports do a roaring trade in selling these clothes to cruisers.  Last year the higher tier Peninsular parties were back and formal was very much in evidence.  I understand from communications I'm receiving we should expect these onboard and recent live reports from Selbourne and others indicate the Captain get together is now back as well.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Can confirm a lot of the gents wear white or cream DJ for formal rather than the black but standards are maintained.  Apart from that formal night is very much the same and well adhered to. 

Still lots of sparkling dresses and tops on Britannia as well, not many little black dresses more bright ones and lots of floaty cotton dresses.  Last year we had four formal nights including two Celebration nights.  It can be a bit of a phaff for the gents because of the luggage allowance - my OH sends his shirts to be laundered rather than doing the laundry ourselves and therefore only needs two but brings a selection of ties and cufflinks to be different every time. 

There's generally a Caribbean night where all the staff wear tropical shirts etc. It used to tie in with the theme night, you’ll still find a large number wearing tropical dress and all the ports do a roaring trade in selling these clothes to cruisers.  Last year the higher tier Peninsular parties were back and formal was very much in evidence.  I understand from communications I'm receiving we should expect these onboard and recent live reports from Selbourne and others indicate the Captain get together is now back as well.

Thinking ahead. Never done this before but wondering if a light smart jacket and a white shirt and tie and smart trousers would be OK rather than the full formal gear for men. Hubby has worn this in the Med on another cruise line and it looked smart and in keeping with the occasion.

Like I said ... before I get shot down ... we normally do the full formal look. Just thinking ahead.. planning is all part of the fun. 

On a different note out luggage allowance says 28kg each case but no more than 23kg. Very confusing!

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Thinking ahead. Never done this before but wondering if a light smart jacket and a white shirt and tie and smart trousers would be OK rather than the full formal gear for men. Hubby has worn this in the Med on another cruise line and it looked smart and in keeping with the occasion.

Like I said ... before I get shot down ... we normally do the full formal look. Just thinking ahead.. planning is all part of the fun. 

On a different note out luggage allowance says 28kg each case but no more than 23kg. Very confusing!

My OH has worn a linen suit but was told no go in his blazer and chinos. 

The luggage has to be split into cases.  We normally take 3 and divide it between them.  You have 56kg so divide into as many as you like.  It's the weight limited, not the number.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Megabear2 said:

The luggage has to be split into cases.  We normally take 3 and divide it between them.  You have 56kg so divide into as many as you like.  It's the weight limited, not the number.  

Ah that's really helpful. Thanks so much for this. 

Re the suit .. we have a suit carrier like a proper suit case so perhaps Mr Presto can take his gear in that !

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ah that's really helpful. Thanks so much for this. 

Re the suit .. we have a suit carrier like a proper suit case so perhaps Mr Presto can take his gear in that !

That works, my OH has done that in the past.   It can be one part of your 28kg each.  I've never got anywhere near my 28kg in the past as I travel with very light clothing for the Caribbean.  We load up my medium sized case with toiletries, shoes etc and take one large case each.  Myntotal last year going out was 21kg, my husband's was 19kg plus his suit carrier.  

We don't normally take drinks and get off once boarded to do so but as we are Saturday arrivals this year we will get some at the first port.  TUI were pretty strict on hand luggage and we had to have our bags weighed as well as measured and airport purchases had to go in.  I had put my coat in my bag and they told me off at the gate as it made it over the 10kg.  Stupid as once I'd boarded I put it back in!

Edited by Megabear2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That works, my OH has done that in the past.   It can be one part of your 28kg each.  I've never got anywhere near my 28kg in the past as I travel with very light clothing for the Caribbean.  We load up my medium sized case with toiletries, shoes etc and take one large case each.  Myntotal last year going out was 21kg, my husband's was 19kg plus his suit carrier.  

We don't normally take drinks and get off once boarded to do so but as we are Saturday arrivals this year we will get some at the first port.  TUI were pretty strict on hand luggage and we had to have our bags weighed as well as measured and airport purchases had to go in.  I had put my coat in my bag and they told me off at the gate as it made it over the 10kg.  Stupid as once I'd boarded I put it back in!

Really confused now. When do they weigh your hand luggage ? Your coat ? How bizzare ! Sorry of this is off topic folks.

If we buy drinks at the first port we aren't allowed to have them on our cabin though are we? 

I'm terrible re weight of cases .. if I've got the kgs we use it........ got home from Sorrento this year with Jet 2 with one case 21.9kg. Limit was 22kg. Even made the Jet 2 lady at the desk laugh as she saw the relief on my face !!! 

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Was it because he wasn’t wearing a tie, as P&O’s dress code says you only need a jacket and tie, not a suit.

https://www.pocruises.com/what-to-wear

Formal evenings

Celebration Nights give you the option to put your most fashionable foot forward. Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform. Again, whatever style preference, simply join in the mood and chic of the evening.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:50 PM, Presto2 said:

Depends on the ship. I was on Arvia in June. 1st time I haven't taken full formal atire. Both formal nights we ate in the Olive Grove. 1st formal night, you wouldn't even have known it was formal night. Everyone doing their own thing, people eating in the 6th Street Diner, Olive Grove, Horizon and Quays didn't seem to make much effort. 2nd formal night seemed to have a lot wider take up.

I think traditional ships where everyone ate in the same restaurant, watched the same shows, drink at the same bars, if you didn't dress up you stood out. Ships like Arvia, younger crowd, people doing their own thing, means a lower compliance - there is a reason why its down to 2. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Was it because he wasn’t wearing a tie, as P&O’s dress code says you only need a jacket and tie, not a suit.

Formal evenings

Celebration Nights give you the option to put your most fashionable foot forward. Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform. Again, whatever style preference, simply join in the mood and chic of the evening.

I wonder what constitutes formal English National Dress? 

14 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Formal evenings

He was wearing a tie, in fact it was his MCC one.  We were confused as it was an outfit he'd worn on Queen Elizabeth in the summer but the Azura staff wouldn't have it.  This was in 2014 so things may well be different now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Really confused now. When do they weigh your hand luggage ? Your coat ? How bizzare ! Sorry of this is off topic folks.

If we buy drinks at the first port we aren't allowed to have them on our cabin though are we? 

I'm terrible re weight of cases .. if I've got the kgs we use it........ got home from Sorrento this year with Jet 2 with one case 21.9kg. Limit was 22kg. Even made the Jet 2 lady at the desk laugh as she saw the relief on my face !!! 

Our hand luggage was weighed at the gate, before passport was checked.  The lady told me it was because people go shopping in the airport and ram heavy items like bottles and toiletries in their bags and the bigger ones end up being way over the 10kg.  

My coat was pretty heavy as it was a ski jacket - there was heavy snow that year and I'd travelled to the airport by train.  Bizarrely I was told nothing wrong with the coat but I should carry it over my arm and not put it in my bag.