Princess package deals

beshears

For those of you who have purchased one of the different Princess packages for your cruise, if you had someone in the room with you that was NOT related, and they did NOT want a package, were you still able to get one of the packages for yourself? I thought I had read some place that "both" people in the room, when not related, had to purchase the package (even if one of them did not want it), if one of them wanted it.

2 minutes ago, beshears said:

For those of you who have purchased one of the different Princess packages for your cruise, if you had someone in the room with you that was NOT related, and they did NOT want a package, were you still able to get one of the packages for yourself? I thought I had read some place that "both" people in the room, when not related, had to purchase the package (even if one of them did not want it), if one of them wanted it.

The first 2 passengers in a cabin will need to purchase the package which was stated during Thursday’s webinar.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know, but I don't really think that is fair. I know that is not your problem, but the other person in the room is not related, and they may not want that package, so it does make it bad, if the other one does.

I'm not sure about this elsewhere, but here in Australia over the past couple of months, our travel advisor who has booked dozens of Princess cruises for us, advised the system has changed so that only one person in the cabin need purchase the Plus or Premium package, rather than the former rule of both needing to purchase it. She has just booked two cruises on this basis for us, with only one in cabin purchasing Plus Package.

" One guest’s participation in Princess Plus may be dependent on the other guest in his/her stateroom’s participation, as determined by booking method. 

Right now the practice for U.S. plus & premier bookings is that the first two passengers in the cabin are required to have the same fares. The terms used to state this. Right now the terms seemed to be changed to the quote above. Now it is a 'may be' and not cut and dry as before. Perhaps the Australian changes are in the works for other markets. We can hope.

Thanks for getting back with me on my question.

That would be good if the "2nd" person did NOT have to purchase the package, as I doubt if they will want it. I guess I can wait until it gets a little closer to February, and check with my PVP, and see what she says. I know they are there to make money, but so far she has really helped out.

7 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

I'm not sure about this elsewhere, but here in Australia over the past couple of months, our travel advisor who has booked dozens of Princess cruises for us, advised the system has changed so that only one person in the cabin need purchase the Plus or Premium package, rather than the former rule of both needing to purchase it. She has just booked two cruises on this basis for us, with only one in cabin purchasing Plus Package.

You must be talking about the standalone beverage packages and not the cruise fare packages.  One person in the cabin can purchase a standalone beverage package (but it is not economical to do so), but at least TWO people must book the cruise fare package (includes other benefits).

Australia is not an exception in this regard unless something just happened in last day or so - highly unlikely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thanks for getting back with me on my question.

That would be good if the "2nd" person did NOT have to purchase the package, as I doubt if they will want it. I guess I can wait until it gets a little closer to February, and check with my PVP, and see what she says. I know they are there to make money, but so far she has really helped out.

Someone else asked this recently and here is an interesting exercise. 

You want Plus for $60/day.  For the cabin, the cost is $120.

Your mate owes $16/day for CA and $15/day for internet (if they wanted that I presume).

Your mate is short $29 for Plus that they don't want to spend.

Let's say you pay them $29/day.  Total of $89 for the voyage.

If you bought standalone Plus beverage package, you would pay $77 for that, plus another $31 for CA and internet.  $108.  Cheaper for you to pay the friend the difference to get Plus.  

But then they can get free drinks, so they ought to compensate you for whatever coffee, juice, water, soda, etc they end up having.  Won't cost you that extra $29/day in the end if you are fair with each other.

Hey, if two people can live in a confined space for 7/10/14 days, surely they can come up with a strategy that works for both parties and each get what they want.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You must be talking about the standalone beverage packages and not the cruise fare packages.  One person in the cabin can purchase a standalone beverage package (but it is not economical to do so), but at least TWO people must book the cruise fare package (includes other benefits).

Australia is not an exception in this regard unless something just happened in last day or so - highly unlikely.

No. I realise that one member of a couple could buy a stand alone beverage package - this has been the case for many years. I am referring to the Plus Package and recent changes - the past couple of months. We can definitely, through our long term very experienced TA, now purchase a Plus Package for only one member of a couple - the other member going standard without a package.

3 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

No. I realise that one member of a couple could buy a stand alone beverage package - this has been the case for many years. I am referring to the Plus Package and recent changes - the past couple of months. We can definitely, through our long term very experienced TA, now purchase a Plus Package for only one member of a couple - the other member going standard without a package.

Alright, you have been very clear about this here.  But I am sure many of us are wondering how this is possible.  And is it some special case in your market for whatever reason.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Alright, you have been very clear about this here.  But I am sure many of us are wondering how this is possible.  And is it some special case in your market for whatever reason.

Maybe they're testing the change here. Hopefully permanent as suits a lot of cruisers. Let's hope it is adopted by the wider Princess fleet.

On 7/29/2023 at 3:31 AM, beshears said:

Thanks for letting me know, but I don't really think that is fair. I know that is not your problem, but the other person in the room is not related, and they may not want that package, so it does make it bad, if the other one does.

That's how it is across the board on all cruise lines. If one person in the cabin gets a drinks package for example, the other adults in the same cabin will have to get it. It's to prevent one person in a single cabin from buying a package and then sharing their package with their cabinmates. With Princess the Plus or Premier is required of the first two people in the cabin if one wants it. 

I am questioning the "packages" only, as most of the cruise fair has already been taken care of, and there is no problem in that area. Guess I'll just have to WAIT and see a month or two before we cruise.