Best airport for a Ft Lauderdale departure?

NeroliGirl

We’re looking at booking a cruise departing Fort Lauderdale, and this would be our first US departure (we’ve only cruised Europe up to now).  I’ve looked through this forum and I can see posts for Miami Airport and for Fort Lauderdale airport - which would be best for an international arrival from London? We’re planning on flying in the day before and finding a hotel for the night before embarkation. 

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received!

Fort Lauderdale airport is basically adjacent to Port Everglades. Miami airport is about 40 minutes away, depending upon traffic. Fort Lauderdale customs and immigration is usually less of a line. Flight duration on a nonstop should be nearly the same

Unless Miami was $125 per person cheaper and/or flights were much more convenient fir you, I would pick Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

Fort Lauderdale airport is basically adjacent to Port Everglades. Miami airport is about 40 minutes away, depending upon traffic. Fort Lauderdale customs and immigration is usually less of a line. Flight duration on a nonstop should be nearly the same

Unless Miami was $125 per person cheaper and/or flights were much more convenient fir you, I would pick Fort Lauderdale.

That sums it up perfectly. FLL would be much more convenient for a sailing out of Port Evergladesm unless airline ticket costs into MIA were much cheaper. As to hotels when arriving the day before, start with the hotel strip on 17th Street, which is pretty much adjacent to one of the Port Everglades entrances. A short cab ride from the airport and enough hotel and restaurants to choose from.  Popular hotels here on Cruise Critic include the Hyatt Place, Hilton Marina, Embassy Suites and our favorite, the Renaissance. We like the Renaissance as it's so close to PE that depending on our room orientation, we can throw open the blinds in the morning of Embarkation Day and see the flotilla of cruise ships in port. Princess's Terminal 2 is only a few hundred yards away.

We tried booking with BA and they don’t fly to Fort Lauderdale although they list it. We flew with Norwegian Air when they were still flying to the US. Way better than Miami. Maybe if you were happy to change planes somewhere along the way you could fly into FLL. I don’t think Virgin use it either. 

1 hour ago, NeroliGirl said:

We’re looking at booking a cruise departing Fort Lauderdale, and this would be our first US departure (we’ve only cruised Europe up to now).  I’ve looked through this forum and I can see posts for Miami Airport and for Fort Lauderdale airport - which would be best for an international arrival from London? We’re planning on flying in the day before and finding a hotel for the night before embarkation. 

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received!

I’d use FLL, but if you go into MIA due to a big difference in fare and it’s nonstop..

then I would take transportation to Ft Lauderdale and stay overnight in Ft Lauderdale.  Quick Uber/Lyft next morning over to the ship.

We like the hotels near 17th street causeway or nearby.  We usually stay at Embassy Suites 17th area or Hyatt Place on 10th near Harbor Shops.  Wine store, Publix grocery store, restaurants, etc very close by. 5 min walk.

Thank you for all the replies - I’m feeling a bit more confident about booking flights now! 
Non-stop from LHR to FLL seems difficult to find so that may influence my choice. 
I like the sound of the hotel proximity to Publix!

Thanks again!

Many major airlines have nonstop flights from Heathrow to Miami. It would be tough to find any Heathrow to Fort Lauderdale nonstops. As for arriving in Miami, I would get transportation over to Fort Lauderdale and stay overnight there prior to your cruise departure. The Riverside Hotel on Los Olas Boulevard is close to many great restaurants and not too far away from Port Everglades.

The only airline that flies into FLL from London is Norse Atlantic, but they are changing their schedule to Miami. So the only non-stops will be to Miami. American, British, Virgin and Norse Atlantic all fly London-Miami. Norse from Gatwick, the other three from Heathrow. 

It is 22-miles or so from MIA to Port Evergaldes/Ft. Lauderdale. You can stay at a hotel in Brickell/Miami, which is only 7-miles form the airport and then have an easy drive the following morning. Or just take a ride straight from MIA to the Ft. Lauderdale area which is around 40-60mins depending on the time of day. 

I would suggest trying to fly in two days before for extra buffer because no flights will get you into Florida on time the next day as they all typically arrive late in the afternoon. Unlike flying from the U.S. to Europe where a next day arrival can still get you on time to the ship since they typically arrive in the morning. 

Couple of things to bear in mind.......

no direct flights from UK to FLL so you will need to change flights in U.S. airport.  This will entail going through immigration and then claiming your checked luggage before handing in the luggage at the airline desk (near to luggage carousels).  This takes time and you are after a long flight.  You then will need to make your way to the departure gate for your flight to Fort Lauderdale.  You will not have customs or immigration in FLL as you will have done it all at the first U.S. airport.  So, just collect your checked luggage and grab a cab to a local hotel.  We have done this numerous times.

A direct flight from UK to Miami (MIA) would save the immigration/customs/baggage check at the intermediate airport, but you will have to do it in MIA and immigration there can be a nightmare.  like 2 hours.

An alternative for you to look at is flying from Dublin to MIA.  You can preclear US immigration in Dublin so when you arrive in the US you just collect your baggage and go to your hotel. 

We stay in the Miami area and go shopping in Dolphin Mall for the day before heading to Port Everglades.  A car service like Larry's Limos will collect you from your Miami hotel and take you to the cruise terminal in Port Everglades. 

Also bear in mind that you will be doing all this again (but in reverse) for your return trip.  To make a connection from FLL to UK will mean at least one change and a long day.

We spend the day in Miami (transfer/Uber etc) sight seeing, shopping and then get the evening flight back to Dublin. Much more civilised way to end a trip!

Just play around with all the options as the cheapest or shortest flight may not end up being what you expected.