Bermuda Time / Ship Time

On Mariner next month which makes a stop in Bermuda arriving, according to the passenger booklet, at 3:30 pm.   My question is whether this is Bermuda time, which is an hour ahead of EST.    Stated another way, will the Mariner be on homeport time (Port Canaveral) or Bermuda time during the port stay.

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

During your stay in a port the ship will change to PORT TIME.

What port(s) do ships change to port time in the Caribbean, Bahamas or Bermuda? I have been on 66 cruises and the ship has never changed to port time on any of these cruises. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What port(s) do ships change to port time in the Caribbean, Bahamas or Bermuda? I have been on 66 cruises and the ship has never changed to port time on any of these cruises. 

Totally up to the captain whether the ship changes time while in a port. We have been to western Caribbean ports on identical itineraries where the captain on one cruised stayed on ships time and the captain on the other cruise changed to local time.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Totally up to the captain whether the ship changes time while in a port. We have been to western Caribbean ports on identical itineraries where the captain on one cruised stayed on ships time and the captain on the other cruise changed to local time.

I have heard that was an option, but I have never experienced it first hand. I think it would be good changing the ship’s time to port time on western Caribbean ports, which are frequently an hour behind time wise from ships sailing from Florida. I assume a lot of pier runners are due to people thinking port time was the same time as ship time when that wasn’t the case. 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

San Pedro 7 night cruises do. Alaskan cruises do. Some other cruises to Mexico do. Winter cruises to the southern Caribbean can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Edited by boscobeans

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have heard that was an option, but I have never experienced it first hand. I think it would be good changing the ship’s time to port time on western Caribbean ports, which are frequently an hour behind time wise from ships sailing from Florida. I assume a lot of pier runners are due to people thinking port time was the same time as ship time when that wasn’t the case. 

Which seems odd to me, many have your experience but I can't remember ever taking a Cruise where Clocks did not change. On 3 WC Cruises last Fall we changed them every time. Do the Boston/Florida Repo's and Panama Canal where Clocks were Changed 5-8 times a Sailing. Some it's just for that Stop, changed back the next night.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/vision-of-the-seas/fri-02172023-0000

Check out Cruise Compass for days 3 and 9

Edited by boscobeans

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Which seems odd to me, many have your experience but I can't remember ever taking a Cruise where Clocks did not change. On 3 WC Cruises last Fall we changed them every time. Do the Boston/Florida Repo's and Panama Canal where Clocks were Changed 5-8 times a Sailing. Some it's just for that Stop, changed back the next night.

could depend on whether it is eastern standard or daylight savings time. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/vision-of-the-seas/fri-02172023-0000

Check out Cruise Compass for days 3 and 9

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

That’s interesting. Someone else mentioned the Captain has the discretion to change the ship’s time to the port(s) time. Apparently I have never been on a cruise with a Captain who likes to change ship time. 

• Like 1

Of the more than 3 dozen cruises to the Caribbean we have taken, almost all were in the months of January, and February. 

Remember Spring forward and Fall back ?  

We are even Steven with Bermuda NOW but in the Fall we will set our clocks BACK one hour,

This is when in order to get Bermuda port time we have to set our clocks forward an hour.

Thought I was entering the Twilight Zone for a while. 

Based on reading here (over the years, not just this thread), some cruises change time to match a port, some don't.  

It's really only an issue in one of the following situations:

* You're doing a 3rd party excursion.  In which case, reach out to the operator, let them know what ship and date you're on.  They're going to have a pretty good idea of when you'll be getting off the ship and when you need to be back (based on the time THEY know).

* You're exploring on your own.  In which case, confirm before you step off the ship that your watch or phone is matched to SHIP time, AND know what time you're supposed to be back.  If SHIP time is different than LOCAL time, make sure your device doesn't automatically change itself (or keep up with the change).

20 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Based on reading here (over the years, not just this thread), some cruises change time to match a port, some don't.  

Some ports did not change to Daylight time or vice versa. If there were multiple ports some Captains would not change to local time.

5 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

During our 5-6 trips to Bermuda, the ship always changes to Bermuda time on the way over and forward on the way back.

I have been on many more Bermuda sailings than that on multiple cruise lines and that was what happened every time. For Bermuda that makes the most sense.