Visa for New Zealand fee question

I had no problems applying for the Australian visa for myself and my husband.

A friend told me when she did the New Zealand one, she  had to pay ($99 plus $35) before she could enter any information.   When I did it, it did not ask for payment until the end.

After 20 tries to get a photo of my husband, we were finally successful. I filled out all the information then they asked for payment of$58 - $23 for electronic travel authority fee, and $35 for international visitors conservation, and tourism levy.

Talking with my friend we don’t know which site is correct. People have talked about third-parties that charge a fee but I don’t want to pay until I make sure I’m on the correct sight.   
Anyone apply lately?   Thanks for any help.

this is the app I downloaded.

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

Request an NZeTA

Use this form to request an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) and pay for an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).
Mobile app
The fastest way to request your NZeTA is by downloading our free app to your mobile phone. If you use the app it will take you less than 5 minutes to complete your request.You can use the app to scan your passport to instantly upload your details and scan your credit or debit card for ease of payment.Download the free app now.

7 hours ago, compozer said:

A friend told me when she did the New Zealand one, she  had to pay ($99 plus $35) before she could enter any information.   When I did it, it did not ask for payment until the end.

After 20 tries to get a photo of my husband, we were finally successful. I filled out all the information then they asked for payment of$58 - $23 for electronic travel authority fee, and $35 for international visitors conservation, and tourism levy.

Talking with my friend we don’t know which site is correct. People have talked about third-parties that charge a fee but I don’t want to pay until I make sure I’m on the correct sight.   

I don't know what site you used, but there are a number or 3rd party site that are NOT official Govt., sites that will charge to administration fees. From reading here on CC we were aware of these 3rd party sites when we started our booking process. We made certain we were on the Official Govt site. The 3rd party sites look very official but are NOT connected to the Govt., sites. Make certain you are on the Official NZ & Oz Govt., sites. The Australia phone app worked with no problem. The NZ phone app we could not get to work. We did the NZ ETA on-line. The Total cost for us in US Dollars was $36. 60 EACH, $73.20 US Dollars for BOTH ETA's. There was no added costs or administrative fees. The on-line version costs only a few dollars more than the phone app, but it worked for us. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, compozer said:

46 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

I don't know what site you used, but there are a number or 3rd party site that are NOT official Govt., sites that will charge to administration fees. From reading here on CC we were aware of these 3rd party sites when we started our booking process. We made certain we were on the Official Govt site. The 3rd party sites look very official but are NOT connected to the Govt., sites. Make certain you are on the Official NZ & Oz Govt., sites. The Australia phone app worked with no problem. The NZ phone app we could not get to work. We did the NZ ETA on-line. The Total cost for us in US Dollars was $36. 60 EACH, $73.20 US Dollars for BOTH ETA's. There was no added costs or administrative fees. The on-line version costs only a few dollars more than the phone app, but it worked for us. I hope this helps.

This is the OFFICIAL NZ ETA online site. NZeTA application - request an NZeTA | Immigration New Zealand

5 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

This is the OFFICIAL NZ ETA online site. NZeTA application - request an NZeTA | Immigration New Zealand

The cost for the NZ phone app is $17 NZD or $23 NZD to do it with the online site. We couldn't get the phone app to work so we used the online version. There is also a "tourist tax" called an IVL that is also tacked on. So, the total to do it online is $58 NZD which is about $35 USD for each ETA. Your total for both of you should be no more than $70-$73 USA dollars depending on the exchange rate at the time to get it. We paid $36.60 for each ETA back in May. Good Luck.

10 hours ago, compozer said:

this is the app I downloaded.

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

Request an NZeTA

Use this form to request an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) and pay for an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).
Mobile app
The fastest way to request your NZeTA is by downloading our free app to your mobile phone. If you use the app it will take you less than 5 minutes to complete your request.You can use the app to scan your passport to instantly upload your details and scan your credit or debit card for ease of payment.Download the free app now.

This is the official NZ immigration website to use - either downloading the app or online.

If using the app, the total cost per person is NZ$52 (US$32) or online it will be NZ$58 (US$35.50).

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3

I downloaded the same site that I used on my phone and posted a screen shot of.  It worked fine but would not accept a picture.  Trie 15 times then I decided to try taking a picture outside.   Worked great the first time.   Did the same with my husband.

all done!

thanks for all the help

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, compozer said:

I downloaded the same site that I used on my phone and posted a screen shot of.  It worked fine but would not accept a picture.  Trie 15 times then I decided to try taking a picture outside.   Worked great the first time.   Did the same with my husband.

all done!

thanks for all the help

Glad you got it done. We also had an issue with photos being accepted. Through research we found a post that recommended turning the flash on the camera/phone fully on and then take the picture. This worked for us. Apparently, the flash being on blocks out any shadows that were causing the pictures to be rejected. I would think going outside as you did to take the picture achieved the same thing. Good job.

• Like 1

I have the app but haven’t filled out the application yet.  

Our cruise is stopping at 2 ports in New Zeland, when you filled out the visa request was it one fee for each stop (if you are going to multiple ports) or a flat fee for all the ports.?

1 hour ago, hazmat1 said:

I have the app but haven’t filled out the application yet.  

Our cruise is stopping at 2 ports in New Zeland, when you filled out the visa request was it one fee for each stop (if you are going to multiple ports) or a flat fee for all the ports.?

The visa waiver will cover you for all travel in New Zealand for 2 years, however ...

Maybe the NZ members will correct me. If you are only visiting New Zealand ports (arriving on the ship, leaving on the same ship) you will hold a visitor visa and don't need a visa waiver.

Information about NZeTA: New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority | Immigration New Zealand

Arriving in New Zealand by cruise ship

When you arrive at your first New Zealand port you will be deemed to hold a visitor visa. This expires 28 days after the ship arrives at its first port of entry in New Zealand or when the ship leaves — whichever happens first.

The other confusing part is for Australia.  There is a transit visa that allows you to stay in Australia for 72 hours if you arrive by air or cruise ship. I read that you are allows leave the airport or port as long as you leave within 24hours.  We will be staying 2 days postcruise and will only be in Australia for around 60 hours.  

has anyone had any experience with this?

33 minutes ago, hazmat1 said:

The other confusing part is for Australia.  There is a transit visa that allows you to stay in Australia for 72 hours if you arrive by air or cruise ship. I read that you are allows leave the airport or port as long as you leave within 24hours.  We will be staying 2 days postcruise and will only be in Australia for around 60 hours.  

has anyone had any experience with this?

Confusing? No different to any other part of the world. At least we don't have a PVSA to muddy the waters even more. All visas are conditional, so it is better to have a visa waiver (eta) if one is available. The Australian authorities recommend getting an eta if you are travelling from a participating country, of which the US is one.

The intent of a transit visa is to cover you for being in transit in Australia as a hop to a 3rd country which could involve multiple airports and/or flight delays before departing overseas. If you are going from the ship to the airport, it would meet the intent of a transit visa. If you have planned accommodation for a night in Australia, I believe it doesn't meet the intent of being in transit. These transit visas can take several weeks to be processed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I did the NZeTA and mine was approved within minutes. His has been over 24 hours now. I know it says it can take 72 hours but nervous as our cruise leaves on October 1. Will they actually deny you boarding even if they can see you paid, and it is pending. I have read on this site that calling them is useless as the call is usually dropped. Has anyone taken more than 72 hours before theirs was approved?

4 hours ago, CorrineSchneider said:

My husband and I did the NZeTA and mine was approved within minutes. His has been over 24 hours now. I know it says it can take 72 hours but nervous as our cruise leaves on October 1. Will they actually deny you boarding even if they can see you paid, and it is pending. I have read on this site that calling them is useless as the call is usually dropped. Has anyone taken more than 72 hours before theirs was approved?

I would suggest you post this in the Australia and New Zealand Ports of Call board as well, where you may have a better response as most on this board will not have had to obtain an NZeTA as Australians don't need a visa to visit NZ.