Inaugural cruise cancellation refund

uktog

An update as I am still waiting my refund and airfare etc

My travel agent, whom I cannot name, I wish I could so they got the recognition for the battles they have taken on, has really been persistent on this and its disappointing that its been like nailing jelly with Explora, stories changing all the time.

Unfortunately the information we now have is that Explora's terms of business they are using in this matter are that they will be refunding 60 days from the cancellation date of 10th July. so around 8th September if anyone is waiting for their refund you have a while to go yet.  The IBAN/BIC code issue mentioned in Post 18 was a red herring as we say.

I had other cruises to pay for so my travel agent is looking at how internally they can set one off against the other, but for all the wonder and gloss and bling of the glowing reports you read online from what I believe are predominately "plants" onboard, Explora may be a luxury experience onboard but, based on this experience, it certainly does not treat its customers very well shoreside.

• Like 1

Although Explora have not refunded us and are still holding out for the 60 days before making a refund per their terms and conditions, our travel agent has today put the steps in place to refund us now as they consider Explora's stance to be entirely inappropriate.  They will recoup the money from Explora. I think they also recognised my Credit Card dispute if I actioned one as I would be entitled to would be against them as per the way many agents operate in the UK I paid them and not Explora.  

There is an issue with a previous cancellation voucher that was used as  part payment for the cancelled inaugural cruise.  Whilst I was not expecting a cash refund on that, I was expecting a lot more flexibility given that I already have two more cruises booked and paid for.  Explora will not allow the voucher to be applied to either of those cruises unless I cancel and rebook (and lose all the benefits I had for Early Booking and an OBC offer).  I have been in a similar situation with Azamara and they immediately allowed the voucher to be used and a refund issued on the credit balance.  I know Azamara are not saints but Explora would be well advised to recognise what competitors do when they screw up.

As to the 30% voucher for this cancellation, that is still in dispute as to what it is based on and also the query remains why for such a late cancellation did Explora offer the lowest "apology voucher" on record.

So buyer be very very aware, Explora may well be a luxury line with beautiful food onboard but they behave like a mass market budget operator hiding behind terms and conditions when things go wrong for them.  I am very pleased some due on the 17 July managed to get onboard quickly and feel pampered and loved, however that has not been everyone's experience and I and my travel agent (one of the UKs largest) have been left in dismay at their attitude and approach to this cancellation.  You might well experience "Ocean Wellness" onboard but oh boy do you create "Ocean Tension and Stress" ashore

On that basis, I do not consider them a cruise line that cares about their customers and others should beware..  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, uktog said:

So buyer be very very aware, Explora may well be a luxury line with beautiful food onboard but they behave like a mass market budget operator hiding behind terms and conditions when things go wrong for them.

When Explora was first announced some CC members expressed doubt that its customer service would meet luxury expectations, based on MSC's service record.  My one MSC cruise had no service issues, but we were in Yacht Club and that may make a difference.  My hope was that Explora would equal and surpass the good experience I had in the Yacht Club.  Sadly, it does not seem to be the case.

• Like 1

So the good news. Funded by my travel agent I have the refund of the portion of the inaugural cruise I paid in cash back in my bank account today 

The bad news 

The agent still does not have the refund- I’m sure in part they knew I was starting to consider a credit card claim which would have been against them so they made the gesture to pay 

There is no sign still of the airfares and hotel refunds 

There is no confirmation of what’s happening re the balance of the inaugural cruise costs paid for by a voucher recognising the cancellation of a previous cruise by Explora

There is no confirmation of what’s happening re the “sweetener” voucher for this cruise other than that Explora won’t allow them to be used for our two November cruises as “they’ve been paid for and adjusting refunds are not allowed”

I can see Explora is impressive onboard but they are very very poor re UK back office. You’re treated the same as someone who chooses to cancel a cheap inside cabin on the MSC mega ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shouka4ever said:

@uktog keep us updated

I'm really sorry that explora seems to have the same kind of customer service that MSC

Thanks for your support. 
On the Facebook group I was accused of being a malcontent who worked for a competitor and sworn at (well a word was use we in the UK consider to be a profanity) by someone who claims to be closely connected to Explora senior management and continues to post about how managers are spoiling them onboard so I believe their might be a connection. They refused to apologise when I corrected them about my relationship or rather lack thereof to competitors. 
It’s really hurt me if that’s the type of person that holds sway with Explora. 

Ive still no refund of my airfare or hotel costs I trusted Explora’s initial promises and now it’s too late to file an insurance claim. 

Explora could still put so much right for me, the ball is firmly in their court here 😀

• Like 1

I just cancelled my explora cruise. In us. My ta says give them 30 days. The charge made to my credit card. If no refund in 30 days my ta will intervene and I will file dispute with Visa just to cover my ……

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bitob said:

I just cancelled my explora cruise. In us. My ta says give them 30 days. The charge made to my credit card. If no refund in 30 days my ta will intervene and I will file dispute with Visa just to cover my ……

What do you mean you have just cancelled your cruise? Did you receive a letter from Explora cancelling your cruise and on that basis you have decided to take the option of asking for the full refund? Or have you cancelled your cruise without waiting for a specific communication concerning your booking? If this is the case,  do you have to pay cancellation fees because of that?

Ivi

My cruise not until 2025 on explora1

Explora 1 itineraries out

My cruise not being offered

they are not even sailing to same region!

i cancelled rather than wait to see if there is something I want to rebook with 30% credit (10k in my case) No penalty

booked regent cruise instead 

no way I will go on explora even with 10000 discount

6 minutes ago, bitob said:

My cruise not until 2025 on explora1

Explora 1 itineraries out

My cruise not being offered

they are not even sailing to same region!

i cancelled rather than wait to see if there is something I want to rebook with 30% credit (10k in my case) No penalty

booked regent cruise instead 

no way I will go on explora even with 10000 discount

Thanks for your answer. So there is no penalty on cancelling before they send you a letter in relation to your booking? 

Some cruise lines charge a penalty if the guest is the one who cancels. I will wait for their communication in relation to my booking first. 
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

7 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for your answer. So there is no penalty on cancelling before they send you a letter in relation to your booking? 

Some cruise lines charge a penalty if the guest is the one who cancels. I will wait for their communication in relation to my booking first. 
Ivi

If they cancel a cruise you booked because they are rearranging itineraries, you may cancel without penalty 

10 minutes ago, bitob said:

If they cancel a cruise you booked because they are rearranging itineraries, you may cancel without penalty 

Yes. This why I am waiting for their cancellation letter in relation to my cruise. I have not seen their published itineraries yet. On their web page I see nothing. The PDF you have shared was not officially published.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

• 4 weeks later...

Finally this weekend this matter was concluded. It has not been an entirely satisfactory conclusion but we are exhausted. 

MSC - because that’s who manages it all in the UK - applied their standard 60 days to make refunds rule regardless of how they had ruined summer breaks for paying guests. Last month our agent actually covered our refund themselves to secure bookings elsewhere for us. 

Despite comments about reaching out to those affected MSC/Explora never once contacted us direct. Clearly we weren’t their target market. 

They cannot accept that cancellation within a week of sailing is a far worse action and has far greater impact than cancellation several months ahead (both get the same “compensation”)

It was clear from social media others were looked after far better - so be it, you never get a second chance to make a first impression MSC/Explora.  During the process we saw how those “you looked after” attacked those of us you did not when we raised issues. Not the kind of people we are used to sailing with can I say. But more importantly clearly tells us we don’t matter. 

Anyway, we and our agent have exhausted all avenues to even get someone to hear us out and even say a meaningful sorry (one email advising us of the cancellation and regretting inconvenience issued 5 days late was all we had). We see that lack of care continues for guests impacted by the christening 

We move on now and try and look forward to our other existing Explora cruise. Currently we don’t care “how wonderful it is onboard”. We may use our discount voucher for a further booking - we may not 

If you pull your socks up significantly in how you treat customers shoreside we could become loyal. Time will tell but for now we are at the end of the road re the July 2023 cancellation and MSC/Explora you’ve failed abysmally. 

Caveat emptor! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3