Native choice tour

abdulazeez77

Folks - We arrive by Royal Caribbean allure of the seas at 8:00 AM. We talked to native choice who said tour will start 1 hour after. I will be traveling with wife and two kids 6 and 9. Does it give enough time to walk through the Native choice office? Also, has anyone been to Bacalar lagoon recently? Is the water clean to swim and is it recommended to add this? I just made a reservation but do have the ability to cancel if needed. 

Edited by abdulazeez77

You might be cutting it close.  8 AM doesn't mean you'll get off the ship then. Could be 8:30A.  Depends on port clearance.  But be ready to depart, not in your cabin.  Good 5-10 minute walk down the pier.  Add another 5-10 to get through the cruise shopping area. And then 10 more to walk to Native Choice's offices.  Be sure to carry Native Choice's local phone number with you if you are delayed.

Can't opine on current conditions at Lake Balacar, but usually the tours are kayaks or boats.

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

You might be cutting it close.  8 AM doesn't mean you'll get off the ship then. Could be 8:30A.  Depends on port clearance.  But be ready to depart, not in your cabin.  Good 5-10 minute walk down the pier.  Add another 5-10 to get through the cruise shopping area. And then 10 more to walk to Native Choice's offices.  Be sure to carry Native Choice's local phone number with you if you are delayed.

Can't opine on current conditions at Lake Balacar, but usually the tours are kayaks or boats.

What should I do? Cancel it or request a different start time?

32 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

What should I do? Cancel it or request a different start time?

How many ships are docked on your day?

If yours is the only ship docked that day (doubtful anymore) they would wait until everyone from your ship arrives usually.

But like was already stated, you don't always get to debark right on time, (especially on one of RCCL's monstrocities), Costa Maya has an extremely long pier to walk, plus the entire pier area to navigate through, just to get outside and walk to their offices.

I would just check the other ships arrival times that day and verify with them how long it will take you to navigate to their offices 

5 minutes ago, bguppies said:

How many ships are docked on your day?

If yours is the only ship docked that day (doubtful anymore) they would wait until everyone from your ship arrives usually.

But like was already stated, you don't always get to debark right on time, (especially on one of RCCL's monstrocities), Costa Maya has an extremely long pier to walk, plus the entire pier area to navigate through, just to get outside and walk to their offices.

I would just check the other ships arrival times that day and verify with them how long it will take you to navigate to their offices 

I already asked them and they are saying to message them when I land and it should be enough time. Should I cancel it with them? They are saying there are others from my ship too. How long is the walk?

Edited by abdulazeez77

22 hours ago, abdulazeez77 said:

Folks - We arrive by Royal Carribean allure of the seas at 8:00 AM. We talked to native choice who said tour will start 1 hour after. I will be traveling with wife and two kids 6 and 9. Does it give enough time to walk through the Native choice office? Also, has anyone been to Bacalar lagoon recently? Is the water clean to swim and is it recommended to add this?

Native Choice have been in business and recommended for many, many years and I am confident they have a handle on time necessary when everything goes to schedule. I am sure they will be in touch with the port or have someone monitoring ship arrival and will be aware of when you dock. They do this for your ship every week. As others have suggested, be ready to leave and have a contact number. 

Google maps estimates 5 minutes walking from port exit but that sounds tight to me. I would allow at least 20 minutes from exiting the ship to find your way and walk through the port if this is your first time. Longer if your kids don’t walk so fast.

I can’t comment on Bacalar.

13 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Native Choice have been in business and recommended for many, many years and I am confident they have a handle on time necessary when everything goes to schedule. I am sure they will be in touch with the port or have someone monitoring ship arrival and will be aware of when you dock. They do this for your ship every week. As others have suggested, be ready to leave and have a contact number. 

Google maps estimates 5 minutes walking from port exit but that sounds tight to me. I would allow at least 20 minutes from exiting the ship to find your way and walk through the port if this is your first time. Longer if your kids don’t walk so fast.

I can’t comment on Bacalar.

To clarify are you saying 20 mts to get to exit plus 10 mts to native choice? Is the route confusing?

14 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

To clarify are you saying 20 mts to get to exit plus 10 mts to native choice? Is the route confusing?

I agree with @crewsweeper, 20-30 mins from ship to Native Choice depending on how fast you walk and which pier you are docked at. 

The pier is very long.

It can be confusing negotiating your way through the port area, if it is your first time. You need to find the exit and then walk some distance down the road towards the Mayan replica.

I would do a virtual walk on google maps of outside the port. You can also get a photo of the pier there. Once outside the port it is not confusing, there is a central reservation down the middle of the road towards the replica.

Edited by c-leg5

3 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Most excursions seem to meet down by the Mayan replica pyramid, so this map will give you an idea from once you get into the pier area.

Just remember the pier itself is a very long walk.

CME-Map.jpg

Should I cancel or just walk fast?

11 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

Should I cancel or just walk fast?

I don’t think anyone can really advise you as to whether you should cancel.

Are you doing the ruins and Bacalar? Do realize it is a long day and depending on time of year can be extremely hot.

You know your kids best, I think you need to assess for yourself how they will enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t think anyone can really advise you as to whether you should cancel.

Are you doing the ruins and Bacalar? Do realize it is a long day and depending on time of year can be extremely hot.

You know your kids best, I think you need to assess for yourself how they will enjoy it. 

I know they will enjoy it and I chose ruins and bacalar. Only concern is because of the comments here. I just want to know if it is safe from a timing perspective to reach the tour operator. I am not asking about the quality of the tour, just the assessment for walking and reaching at 9am.

Edited by abdulazeez77

2 hours ago, abdulazeez77 said:

I know they will enjoy it and I chose ruins and bacalar. Only concern is because of the comments here. I just want to know if it is safe from a timing perspective to reach the tour operator. I am not asking about the quality of the tour, just the assessment for walking and reaching at 9am.

Well you have had the opinions of several regulars. I am not sure what comments have prompted doubts. Yes, it is a long walk, but that is relative since some people have mobility issues so it is always mentioned when Costa Maya is discussed. Yes, the port area can be confusing to some but @bguppies has provided a map of best route through the port to reach the exit. Incidentally it also shows the pedestrian median I described after leaving the port exit although doesn’t use it. I am not sure exactly where Native Choice meeting point is relative to the Mayan replica

I think the consensus is, if you arrive on time, (no other ships are trying try to dock at the same  time, which would temporarily delay your disembarkation) you are ready to get off - you will have time. 

Native Choice are doing this every day. I have never been with them  (i think @crewsweeper has?) but I have followed reviews on them for 15+ years. If there were issues tgey would have been discussed. If there are delays - weather, medical emergencies, docking issues - contact them by whats app. They will advise you and may need to shorten tour to get you back in time. Ruins and lagoon is a long tour. They know what is possible under normal circumstances.

A family member booked with them years ago and had to cancel for medical reasons on day of tour and was refunded without a problem.

21 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Well you have had the opinions of several regulars. I am not sure what comments have prompted doubts. Yes, it is a long walk, but that is relative since some people have mobility issues so it is always mentioned when Costa Maya is discussed. Yes, the port area can be confusing to some but @bguppies has provided a map of best route through the port to reach the exit. Incidentally it also shows the pedestrian median I described after leaving the port exit although doesn’t use it. I am not sure exactly where Native Choice meeting point is relative to the Mayan replica

I think the consensus is, if you arrive on time, (no other ships are trying try to dock at the same  time, which would temporarily delay your disembarkation) you are ready to get off - you will have time. 

Native Choice are doing this every day. I have never been with them  (i think @crewsweeper has?) but I have followed reviews on them for 15+ years. If there were issues tgey would have been discussed. If there are delays - weather, medical emergencies, docking issues - contact them by whats app. They will advise you and may need to shorten tour to get you back in time. Ruins and lagoon is a long tour. They know what is possible under normal circumstances.

A family member booked with them years ago and had to cancel for medical reasons on day of tour and was refunded without a problem.

Much appreciated. 

Sorry wasn't trying to give you any doubts about your choice with the maps and pictures.

Just trying to give you a better picture about distances to walk with two small kids. (especially since 75% of the year it'll be ridiculously hot)

DW and I are both getting older and mobility challenged, so we always have to take distances into consideration anymore.

• Thanks 1

We did the Chocchoben Tour with NativeChoice last May. The Misses and I are in our 70's and our daughters 48 and 50.  We had no problems walking to the meeting place and everything went smooth.  Our tour group was only 11 people and both our guide and driver were great.  I will definitely use them again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clackey said:

We did the Chocchoben Tour with NativeChoice last May. The Misses and I are in our 70's and our daughters 48 and 50.  We had no problems walking to the meeting place and everything went smooth.  Our tour group was only 11 people and both our guide and driver were great.  I will definitely use them again.

I think the OP's main concern was whether they could get off their RCCL mega ship and make the walk to the Native choice meeting place with only 60 minutes if they were able to disembark right on time and with a 6 and 9 year old in tow.

It didn't seem they were concerned if their group could make the walk, just if they could make it in that timeframe.

2 children should equate pretty favorably with a few 70 year olds.

So I guess the better answer they might want would be how long did it take your group to get off the ship and to the Native Choice meeting place?

And did they seem like they would wait a few minutes for stragglers if there were a few. (since they only had 30-60 minutes to get there if their ship debarks on time)

On 8/8/2023 at 8:19 AM, bguppies said:

I think the OP's main concern was whether they could get off their RCCL mega ship and make the walk to the Native choice meeting place with only 60 minutes if they were able to disembark right on time and with a 6 and 9 year old in tow.

It didn't seem they were concerned if their group could make the walk, just if they could make it in that timeframe.

2 children should equate pretty favorably with a few 70 year olds.

So I guess the better answer they might want would be how long did it take your group to get off the ship and to the Native Choice meeting place?

And did they seem like they would wait a few minutes for stragglers if there were a few. (since they only had 30-60 minutes to get there if their ship debarks on time)

SIXTY minutes is ample time if everything goes according to plan. 

Some people do get confused exiting the port if it is their first time. There are crowds getting off the ship with multiple shops in port and they will need to monitor their kids carefully walking the length of the pier There can be delays if another ship is tying up at the same time, sometimes after debarkation has started it can be temporarily halted. These are things for the OP to be aware of but no need to be unduly concerned about under normal circumstances. They have a contact number if something happens.

I would not cancel if I were you. My wife has difficulty walking and we were a little late getting to Native Choice. The bus had already left but they said no problem, we will drive you there. One of them drove us there to meet up with the group and everything worked out ok. We got back with time to spare so we asked them to drop us off on the melacon which they gladly did. I can not say enough good things about them.🙂

• Like 1

Yes all excursions booked. As follows:

1. Roatan booked with Let's go Roatan for sloth visit, sightseeing, chocolate factory, rum factory and dolphin swim

2. Costa Maya booked with Native choice tours for Chechoben ruins and Lake Bacalar

3. Cozumel booked an all day at Mr. Sanchos

Also purchased the travel insurance. All prep activities completed. Now I can start shopping. This has been fairly nerve racking so far. I thought planning for a cruise would be easier than planning a vacation.

4 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

Yes all excursions booked. As follows:

1. Roatan booked with Let's go Roatan for sloth visit, sightseeing, chocolate factory, rum factory and dolphin swim

2. Costa Maya booked with Native choice tours for Chechoben ruins and Lake Bacalar

3. Cozumel booked an all day at Mr. Sanchos

Also purchased the travel insurance. All prep activities completed. Now I can start shopping. This has been fairly nerve racking so far. I thought planning for a cruise would be easier than planning a vacation.

Sounds like you are set! 

After numerous visits to all three ports I have only been to the rum factory from all your choices! 

Enjoy!

Congrats sounds like a good three days of excursions.

Fingers crossed for good weather at each.

I need to get back to Roatan. Was one of my favorite ports.

Went to an Iguana Farm and then saw some monkeys at a zoo and then snorkled from shore at West Bay beach and it was by far the best shore snokeling I've ever done.