In Italy Port on a Transportation Strike Day?

kadedid

9 hours ago, marazul said:

The announcement says that the strike starts early for train and motorways work shifts (10 pm or 9 pm, respectively)  that start before midnight on the 19th and will last for 24 hours each.  All other sectors will be on strike from midnight on the 19th to midnight on the 20th. No sectors are excluded in the announcement. So the air transport sector will also be on strike

Thanks all, So although the link I posted doesn't say planes, there is another link that says it does... Not sure which to believe?

http://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi?fbclid=IwAR2oqZeCl4D8SPlvAHKEzokaJEr-mcvbr7TB9jbRQPFs1uSBH_5w2P5-2ow

Its on page 4 at the bottom...

10 hours ago, marazul said:

The announcement says that the strike starts early for train and motorways work shifts (10 pm or 9 pm, respectively)  that start before midnight on the 19th and will last for 24 hours each.  All other sectors will be on strike from midnight on the 19th to midnight on the 20th. No sectors are excluded in the announcement. So the air transport sector will also be on strike

Thanks,  Marazul,  I just re-read your post,  sorry that I didn't read it carefully,  but I see you are saying that the link says that Flights will also be affected:(   I dont see where you see that exactly, maybe its how its translated by chrome... 

If this is true, my original  question remains, how does it transpire when I get to the airport when I'm dropped off by the cruise line shuttle? I will be at the airport,willt here be anyone to assist. I was hoping someone would have had this happen last year and be able  to advise me of what to expect.

3 hours ago, leelaw said:

Thanks,  Marazul,  I just re-read your post,  sorry that I didn't read it carefully,  but I see you are saying that the link says that Flights will also be affected:(   I dont see where you see that exactly, maybe its how its translated by chrome... 

If this is true, my original  question remains, how does it transpire when I get to the airport when I'm dropped off by the cruise line shuttle? I will be at the airport,willt here be anyone to assist. I was hoping someone would have had this happen last year and be able  to advise me of what to expect.

You need to be proactive. Don’t wait until you get to the airport and hear your flight has been canceled. Contact your airline and ask them to change your flight. If you wait until after the event you’ll have fewer choices.

At any airport in any country you can expect massive lines at airport counters for rebooking when large numbers of cancellations occur. You’re better off trying to get through by phone (especially if you have any status with the airline (e.g. a frequent flyer).

Edited by cruisemom42

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You need to be proactive. Don’t wait until you get to the airport and hear your flight has been canceled. Contact your airline and ask them to change your flight. If you wait until after the event you’ll have fewer choices.

At any airport in any country you can expect massive lines at airport counters for rebooking when large numbers of cancellations occur. You’re better off trying to get through by phone (especially if you have any status with the airline (e.g. a frequent flyer).

Not sure how easy this is going to be as if the flights cancelled, they then should put us on another flight, but if I call now, they would only put us on the next avios  flight which is three days later. And of course maybe the flight won’t get cancelled. So difficult to know the right thing to do…..

4 hours ago, leelaw said:

By default. It is a "general" "national" strike, which means all sectors are on strike.  No exceptions are made, which means that air transport will also be on strike.  The strike lasts from midnight to midnight.  The exceptions you see under "Modalita" are for two sectors (trains and toll takers in the autopiste) that will have their 24-hour strikes from 10 pm to 10 pm to coincide with their work shifts. 

Italian law requires that certain services be maintained during a strike, such as a very few trains during that period.  The emergency services requirements are not listed in the tables that you saw.  They are found elsewhere in the "Sciopero" website (good luck to chrome translating it). These requirements are observed, but they will be of no help to you.  Please, follow cruisemom's advice on making alternate plans.  

And keep checking the website.  They will post whether the strike gets canceled.

Edited by marazul

1 minute ago, marazul said:

By default. It is a "general" "national" strike, which means all sectors are on strike.  No exceptions are made, which means that air transport will also be on strike.  The strike lasts from midnight to midnight.  The exceptions you see under "Modalita" are for two sectors (trains and toll takers in the autopiste) that will have their 24-hour strikes from 10 pm to 10 pm to coincide with their work shifts. 

Italian law requires that certain services to be maintained during a strike, such as a very few trains during that period.  The emergency services requirements are not listed in the tables that you saw.  They are found elsewhere in the "Sciopero" website (good luck to chrome translating it). These requirements are observed, but they will be of no help to you.  Please, follow cruisemom's advice on making alternate plans.  

And keep checking the website.  They will post whether the strike gets canceled.

Thanks! I think as it’s a avios flight with a companion voucher it makes it more complicated..

4 minutes ago, leelaw said:

Thanks! I think as it’s a avios flight with a companion voucher it makes it more complicated..

You do need to reserve a cancelable hotel room for three days just in case.  If the strike gets canceled, it will not be at the last second because people need to be able to get back to work.  Even if it were, the most that it will cost you is one night at the hotel. Call it insurance. 

The real problem is whether to rebook your flight now or wait to see what happens with the strike. Find out what happens if you rebook your flight for three days later but the strike is canceled.  Will they rebook you to your original flight?  Or, if you keep your original flight and the strike takes place will you be able to get in that later flight or do you have to wait for a different flight? 

Sorry that there are so many bad options and that you are in this position.  The safest thing, if you can manage it, is just to extend your vacation by three days and change your flights now. At a minimum, reserve a room so you can keep your options open.

2 hours ago, leelaw said:

Not sure how easy this is going to be as if the flights cancelled, they then should put us on another flight, but if I call now, they would only put us on the next avios  flight which is three days later. And of course maybe the flight won’t get cancelled. So difficult to know the right thing to do…..

The thing is the "next flight" three days later is probably already booked near capacity - you will not bump the people on that flight!  Instead you will be worked into available seats and that could take days.  Take the advice here and contact the airlines to check out your options.  Avios will be (should) be pro-active as they know the nightmare they'll have if this strike occurs.  

You really need to start a backup plan now.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, Girr said:

The thing is the "next flight" three days later is probably already booked near capacity - you will not bump the people on that flight!  Instead you will be worked into available seats and that could take days.  Take the advice here and contact the airlines to check out your options.  Avios will be (should) be pro-active as they know the nightmare they'll have if this strike occurs.  

You really need to start a backup plan now.

Thanks all, I will give Avios a call. I called BA a few weeks back and they said they couldn't do anything until a  flight us cancelled,  so not sure they are going to help too much...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 7:30 AM, euro cruiser said:

It wouldn't help you even if you could translate it, as the "word" fields tend to be abbreviations and lists of trade unions, which wouldn't mean much to you.

Right now I only see one other planned transport strike in October, on the 2nd, and as it's cleaners it won't stop the trains.  Remember when you look at the list that dates are styled day-month-year.

Ricerca Scioperi | Commissione Garanzia Sciopero

So, I noticed that a strike has been added to the above site for October 13, I think, since I don't understand Italian.  DH and I arrive to FCO on October 14 at 7:15am.  Will the strike be over by then and we can ride the train to Venice from FCO, hopefully on the 8:38am train?  Thanks for any insight!

27 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

So, I noticed that a strike has been added to the above site for October 13, I think, since I don't understand Italian.  DH and I arrive to FCO on October 14 at 7:15am.  Will the strike be over by then and we can ride the train to Venice from FCO, hopefully on the 8:38am train?  Thanks for any insight!

It is a 3-hour (9 am-noon) strike limited to the province of Bolzano.  It will not affect you.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

DH and I arrive to FCO on October 14 at 7:15am.  Will the strike be over by then and we can ride the train to Venice from FCO, hopefully on the 8:38am train?  Thanks for any insight!

Not what you asked about the strike, but this time is a little tight.  Why not fly directly into Venice?

29 minutes ago, Girr said:

Not what you asked about the strike, but this time is a little tight.  Why not fly directly into Venice?

We are using Fly2Fun through Carnival and could only book our flights out of Rome since our cruise (Oct 18 through 28) is out of Civi.  We wanted to see Venice, then Florence, then spend 2 days in Rome before our cruise.  If we have to take the later train to Venice from FCO at 9:53am that's fine, but I'm hoping since we are traveling carry on only we will be able to get to the earlier train.

Probably more info than you were expecting😉

17 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

@cruisemom42 @marazul Alright, the strike site has added Oct 16 as a strike day.  We are traveling by train from Firenze SM Novella departing 11:33am and arriving Roma Termini at 1:05pm on Oct 16.  Does this strike affect us?  TIA!!

It's a regional strike that only affects certain airport staff in Venice and Treviso. It will not impact you.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's a regional strike that only affects certain airport staff in Venice and Treviso. It will not impact you.

Thank you!  My Italian is getting a bit better 😉and I thought that was the case but I really appreciate your confirmation👍

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

@cruisemom42 @marazul Alright, the strike site has added Oct 16 as a strike day.  We are traveling by train from Firenze SM Novella departing 11:33am and arriving Roma Termini at 1:05pm on Oct 16.  Does this strike affect us?  TIA!!

I agree with cruisemom, of course.  Regional strike by security guards in the Venice and Treviso airports lasting four hours..

Since you are practicing your Italian, take a look at the link just under the table of strikes:

Vedi legenda Settore*

Click on it for a definition of all the terms that can appear in the "Settore" column.  Those are the work "sectors" covered by the website.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, marazul said:

I agree with cruisemom, of course.  Regional strike by security guards in the Venice and Treviso airports lasting four hours..

Since you are practicing your Italian, take a look at the link just under the table of strikes:

Vedi legenda Settore*

Click on it for a definition of all the terms that can appear in the "Settore" column.  Those are the work "sectors" covered by the website.

😲 grazie!

19 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

@marazul @cruisemom42 Well, the strike people have added Oct 14, which I am planning on riding the train from FCO to Venice, hopefully leaving FCO at 8:38am and arriving Venice 1:34pm.  Does this strike affect me?  Sorry for bugging you both.😔 I appreciate any help!

It's a national railway strike from basically 9am to 5pm. However, it seems to only involve personnel of Italo Treno.  Are you traveling on Trenitalia? If so, you shouldn't be impacted.

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's a national railway strike from basically 9am to 5pm. However, it seems to only involve personnel of Italo Treno.  Are you traveling on Trenitalia? If so, you shouldn't be impacted.

I haven't booked the ticket from FCO to Venice since I don't know when we will get through customs. I booked the other train travel (Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome) through Trenitalia. I'm planning on booking the Leonardo Express at 8:38am or the Frecciarossa at 9:38am, both booked on Trenitalia.  The strike won't affect those bookings?

I just tried to book the 8:38am and it's available to book.

Edited by ninjacat123

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I haven't booked the ticket from FCO to Venice since I don't know when we will get through customs. I booked the other train travel (Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome) through Trenitalia. I'm planning on booking the Leonardo Express at 8:38am or the Frecciarossa at 9:38am, both booked on Trenitalia.  The strike won't affect those bookings?

No Trenitalia is a different company. The strike specifically lists a union of Italo Treno. It should not be affected by this particular action.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@cruisemom42 @marazul So, I noticed a red circle with a slash through it at the end of many of the strikes I was worried about.  I looked up what that symbol meant and it translated to "strike cancelled".  Am I correct?  Also, there is still a strike Oct 16-17 but I think it affects trucking and not the trains.  Also correct?  TIA!!