Luggage Forward - Recent Experience and Early Pick Up Date?

Smokeyham

Hello,

We are thinking of using "Luggage Forward" to ship a bag from the US west coast to Southampton for a QM2 Crossing. Has anyone had any recent experience with them and also do you have any suggestions/hints?  I understand this is the service that Cunard uses.

FYI - When I went on to their website (https://www.luggageforward.com/) they gave us a pick up date which would be after the date when we plan to start travelling.  I called them up and they said they could arrange for an earlier pick up date if I made the reservation by calling, as opposed to online.  They were careful to confirm the port we were sailing out of as they cannot do this for all ports that they service.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Like 1

My understanding is that they use local "agents" rather than having company-owned facilities and employees, so it's not surprising that it's not possible for all locations to accommodate early pick up. We asked a neighbor to act as our pickup point to accomplish this.

• Like 1

We used them for a December 2022 westbound TA where we needed a significantly earlier pickup time than their standard. I posted the following in October last year when I had made the booking:

”I just booked Luggage Forward for our December Cunard trip. Embarkation is December 10, making this 41 days prior to getting on the ship.  We are spending about three weeks traveling (some in US, mostly in UK) prior to boarding, and another few days after the TA (Christmas at our son's house), so having someone else take care of the formal wear sounded great.

Details, everything in US dollars:

Outbound

(1) Detroit area to Southampton (QM2) = $384 for a standard bag up to 50 lbs (22 kg)

(2) Included insurance coverage = $500. Additional $12 per each additional $500 coverage

(e.g., $1,000 coverage is $12 extra, $1,500 coverage is $24 extra, $2,000 coverage costs $36, and so on. Additional coverage can be booked in increments of $500 only)

(3) Earliest standard timing for collection of the luggage from home was November 28 for a December 10 departure (12 days prior to embarkation). Latest standard timing was (I think...didn't really pay that much attention since it didn't matter to me) 8 or 9 days prior to departure.

(4) Earlier collection is possible. I was able to arrange an earlier date, which ended up being three days prior to our outbound flight. There was an additional charge of $35, since the freight company will now have to store the luggage for several days prior to forwarding it through UK Customs. I booked the service online first, then called to adjust the collection date. This is what they told me to do when I called last Spring. Seemed to work well.

Return

(1) Brooklyn (QM2) to Detroit area = $264 for a standard bag up to 50 lbs (22 kg)

(2) Included insurance coverage = $500. Additional $6 per each additional $500 coverage

(3) Earliest standard timing for delivery of the luggage to home was December 28 for a December 22 arrival. Later times were also available, up to about 8 or 9 days after arrival (as I recall, again, it didn't impact my booking, so it didn't fully register).

Once the reservation is made, you need to enter information relevant to clearing Customs. This consists of passport information, travel schedule giving arrival into and departure from the UK as well as arrival into the US, a packing list, and signature.

The packing list is simplistic: checklist allows you to choose clothing, toiletries, accessories, and/or electronics. Clicking on each brings up a subitem that includes prohibitions (e.g., no new clothes with price tags attached, no aerosols, no prescription medication, no "expensive jewelry," etc.). Whole thing took about three minutes to complete, most of which was sent trying to get a signature to work (laptop using a mouse). One can also click on the "having trouble signing" link and it will add an electronic signature, which you affirm is permissible for Luggage Forward to use as yours. That's what I did after trying three times to make the mouse movement look anything like my signature.

One can also book a smaller bag for less money or a larger bag for more money. I did not note the specific weights nor amounts...I have to leave something for others to find out.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm taking my SO on a surprise TA cruise on QM2 so shipping our bag from San Diego to NY.  If we take the big bag, he'll know.  Anyway, today I received our luggage forward luggage tags.  They apparently ship the bag UPS to Brooklyn and the lowest cost means I need to give them the bag 9 days prior.  

• Like 1

Just popped on to post the exact same question. We want to fly from the UK to Hawaii and sail back to the UK from NYC. We don’t need to fancy taking our cruise clobber all the way to the islands so it’s good to hear the service can be trusted and that  it can be rearranged for early departures. 👏

• Like 2

We’ve used them twice and will use them again in September. Both times the bags arrived back home in about a week. We are done with hauling formal wear through airports. We send the 50LB limit but send it much lower so we have room for Cunard teddies and books for the return.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, techteach said:

We’ve used them twice and will use them again in September. Both times the bags arrived back home in about a week. We are done with hauling formal wear through airports. We send the 50LB limit but send it much lower so we have room for Cunard teddies and books for the return.

Luggage forward is fairly flexible about 50 pound weight limit. In my experience if you go over a few pounds you will not be charged extra

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any need to worry about delays in Customs.  We are considering sending our cases ahead to the cruise, but I am so worried they won’t arrive!  Looking to send from Uk to Italy.

Has anyone had an issue, or am I worried for no reason?

We used the service last month, shipping a bag Chicago-Southampton.  It worked perfectly and spared us toting all the formalwear on our land tour prior to boarding.  The bag was waiting for us at Southampton hotel when we arrived the day before embarkation.  We got email updates along the way. 

We took the extra step of emailing the hotel (Leonardo) to advise of the shipment.  When we arrived, the clerk said many people use the service and they are used to handling the deliveries.

To the question of Customs, the order process asked for a declaration of contents, and I noticed something printed on the documents we attached to the suitcase when preparing it for pick up. 

I noticed too late that if you have status with Cunard you get a discount. 

We found it very convenient for the price (about $200 for a roll-aboard size case). 

Upon arrival in NY, we just carried the extra bag and checked it for our flight.  It was not too much trouble to get everything through the cruise terminal to the taxi and same at LGA.  (Check-in with Delta at LGA is another story.....)

Good luck on your travels!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are looking at some luggage forwarding companies because we want to send one suitcase from Australia to Barcelona for our cruise so we don't have to carry it.  So expensive.  Has anyone tried Luggage Free?  I have checked online with Luggage Forward which was around 800AUD!  Ouch  Luggage free comes in cheaper, but have never heard about them.  Anyone have any other ideas?

On 8/6/2023 at 11:36 PM, alibabacruisers said:

We are looking at some luggage forwarding companies because we want to send one suitcase from Australia to Barcelona for our cruise so we don't have to carry it.  So expensive.  Has anyone tried Luggage Free?  I have checked online with Luggage Forward which was around 800AUD!  Ouch  Luggage free comes in cheaper, but have never heard about them.  Anyone have any other ideas?

funny, I just went to their site (Luggage Free) their prices are (to us- London- Civitavecchia/Rome) more than double of what Luggage Forward charges....  1x 22kg suitcase with Luggage Forward is $219- same with Luggage Free is $469!!!!

• Thanks 1

@alibabacruisers  OK, my bad, I just realised I didn't think last night the quotation could have been in AU$... which would make them still more expensive, but just 25 US$ more, that could be because we are closer to our date now.

If we want to send both our suitcases for us (Luggage Forward) would be close to 500 US$, which my daughter passionately argues could pay for a short cruise for one of us (meaning she wants the money for her birthday cruise LOL)

We'll see if we are over the 23k per suitcase, sending 1 lighter case would be a bit cheaper, but again, in that case we can pay the airline for extra weight (we do it for overseas, not sure how it works within Europe) 

I looked it up because we are on the fence on a decision, thing is, the closer it gets to the date, it keeps getting more expensive... with Luggage Forward we were given two dates for pick up, the cheapest was the earlier date.

I have to confess, the idea of having the 2 suitcases delivered directly to the ship is more than appealing, but, again, my daughter insists with many ideas , like "why don't we leave shoes behind, buy them in Rome", or "muhhhum..... I rather spend the money on board!!!" LOL

I'll have to make a decision before the end of this week.

I know 800 AU$ is a lot of money, have you looked into DHL? they are also trustable, the quote they gave us is more or less same, a little bit cheaper than LForward.

If I was in your shoes, unless you find a few  who have previously used for Luggage Free and had a good experience, I would lean to go for Luggage Forward or DHL, in the first case, not only they are advertised in the Cunard's website but many people here have used them, I myself have had really good experiences with DHL too.

Hope it all works well!!!

• Like 1

@MrsPeel55, if your daughter balks at the price of shipping suitcases, tell her that she will have to carry/roll/drag what doesn't get shipped. (love your screen name, BTW)

I have been very happy with Luggage Forward service, and I'm using it this fall. Does DHL deliver to the ship with delivery to the cabin?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

@MrsPeel55, if your daughter balks at the price of shipping suitcases, tell her that she will have to carry/roll/drag what doesn't get shipped. (love your screen name, BTW)

I have been very happy with Luggage Forward service, and I'm using it this fall. Does DHL deliver to the ship with delivery to the cabin?

LOL she does already!!! we travel often and she is a doll, because I am in the wheelchair and get airport assistance and we get our taxi guy to take us to the check in desk, she kinda has a point, but we'll see. I will have an idea of how much each case will weight in a couple of days, we are waiting for some shopping delivery, if we do ship anything, more than likely will be with Luggage Forward.

I'm not sure if DHL sends to the ship, I had cases delivered to hotels, they work well, but in this case I reckon I would trust Luggage Forward a bit more....

The screen name.... 😉  I remember being 10 years old and the program was on at 22:00 on a Tuesday, my parents wouldn't let me stay to watch, so I would fake illness to be able to watch and skip school the day after.... ❤️

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Any recent experience with Luggage Forward?   Thinking of sending one large suitcase home from Civitivecchia rather than hauling it to Lake Como and then home. 

We used them last December (and previously) and we're planning to use them again for two future cruises. They don't serve all port/cruise line combinations but you should have no problem with disembarking from a Cunard ship at Civitavecchia.

I've never been through Civitavecchia, but I assume the procedure will be the same as at other ports: Cunard will unload all your luggage (including anything you plan to ship) to a holding zone; you'll need to get all of it through any customs/immigration yourself. The LF agent will be waiting with a "Luggage Forward" sign.

The luggage has always arrived at the destination ahead of schedule; as a result, it has always arrived in our stateroom at a different time from our self-managed luggage. As you're shipping home, that wouldn't matter, but it will be delivered to your house on their schedule, not yours. We've arranged to have a neighbor receive it for us if it would arrive before we did.

They don't have designated staff at each destination - they use agents and the actual shipping is done by a major service like UPS.

Note that when shipping internationally, they'll want your luggage to be unlocked. Also, some items which you can easily check at an airport may be disallowed for international air shipping. This is clearly stated in their terms of service, but I missed it the first time. I tried to ship a disallowed item in a thoughtlessly locked bag outbound to our cruise. They called to request the lock combination, and they kindly FedEx'd the item back to our house at their own expense. (Not sure this would be as easy on return shipping from overseas.)

We recommend it.

• Like 2

Thank you for your well-thought response.  I will be on Royal Caribbean so hopefully as seemless as you described.  Had not considered they may want it unlocked.  Not too happy about that actually.  Planned to use a TSA safe lock.

1 minute ago, cpl100 said:

Thank you for your well-thought response.  I will be on Royal Caribbean so hopefully as seemless as you described.  Had not considered they may want it unlocked.  Not too happy about that actually.  Planned to use a TSA safe lock.

And that TSA lock might be acceptable, since in your case the authorities with the most skin in the game would be in the U.S. Contact LF directly; they've always been very responsive to my queries. They've also always handled our luggage respsonsibly, so I didn't hesitate too much over allowing it to be opened, but I get your concern.

For what it's worth, they have insurance as part of their booking price ($400 per bag I think?) and additional insurance is inexpensive. As I recall it cost us $20 per bag to insure each for $1,500; and higher levels of coverage are available.

Which reminds me.... While you are completing the booking for international shipment (not domestic) they'll ask for a packing list. They don't require a detailed item-by-item list, just clicking on general categories like "Clothing", "Accessories", etc.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

And that TSA lock might be acceptable, since in your case the authorities with the most skin in the game would be in the U.S. Contact LF directly; they've always been very responsive to my queries. They've also always handled our luggage respsonsibly, so I didn't hesitate too much over allowing it to be opened, but I get your concern.

For what it's worth, they have insurance as part of their booking price ($400 per bag I think?) and additional insurance is inexpensive. As I recall it cost us $20 per bag to insure each for $1,500; and higher levels of coverage are available.

Which reminds me.... While you are completing the booking for international shipment (not domestic) they'll ask for a packing list. They don't require a detailed item-by-item list, just clicking on general categories like "Clothing", "Accessories", etc.

I thank you, again!

• Like 1

From the Luggage Forward Web site, under FAQs:

"Can I lock my luggage?

Domestic Shipments

Bags traveling within a single country must be locked. Failure to lock Items will void your right to file a claim for lost or missing contents. 

International Shipments

Bags shipped between two countries must be unlocked as they may have to be opened as a normal part of the customs screening process. If bags are locked, including TSA approved locks, and customs cannot open an item then the lock or seal may have to be broken.  

Locking any item traveling internationally can cause extended delays and will void Luggage Forward’s industry leading on-time guarantee."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1