Help!!!! Northern lights or Eastern Med late October

Zeikah

Hi All,

Looking to book a cruise for my 60th next year. My dilemma is my birthday doesn't fall at the best time for a Europe cruise.

I have narrowed my choices down to two.

Queen Anne. Northern lights cruise to Tromso departing Southampton 15th October 2024

Norwegian Prima. Italy, Greece departing Rome 28th October 2024

Can I ask some advice from some cruising experts on which itinerary would be the best due to being shoulder season. I understand it is not going to be the best weather on either cruise. But just some general advice to help me choose would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, 

Two very, very different cruises.
One thing is certain - the Northern Lights trip to northern Norway in October will be cold and perhaps also high seas - here the purpose is to see the Northern Lights and experience the scenery on the coast of Norway. However seeing Northern lights are spectacular. 

The Greece and eastern part of the Mediterranean can be quite warm and pleasant in October.
If the Northern Lights are not very high on the bucket list, I would recommend the Mediterranean combined with a few days in Rome.

• Like 1

we did a cruise from Los Angeles- Dubai in Feb ( mid of the month).  I asked the stewardess if there is a chance we can see the Northern Lights from the plane ( we flew over Greenland).  A few hours later, the stewardess came to our seats and asked us to raise out window shade...WE SAW THE NORTHERN LIGHTS!!! She said this was the first time she has ever seen them ( and she flew that route very often).  Not that it was a one off, but because she just didn't know about them.  She said too bad we could not see them from the cockpit.  So What I am saying ( in a very worded response), is look at the airline route, and you might see them from the plane.  The Florecent Green waves were really amazing.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

To optimize northern light chances you need a lot of dark sky hours along with the blessing from the sun.  I am going in January.  February is also a high prospect.  October would be the early part of the dark season and you will be exploring at midnight.  I suspect off season Med will be more to your liking 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Norway will be beautiful, majestic scenery, but the weather is guaranteed to be cold. Also, the cities you would be visiting are fairly small, and quite expensive. Finally, the itinerary has quite a few sea days. Unless you just want to enjoy the ship, I would go for the Mediterranean. 

I will be on the Prima out of Barcelona on 1 November 2023. The weather is a little bit of a gamble, but so much more to see and do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 5:11 PM, Meander Ingwa said:

To optimize northern light chances you need a lot of dark sky hours along with the blessing from the sun.  I am going in January.  February is also a high prospect.  October would be the early part of the dark season and you will be exploring at midnight.

Actually, October may not  be that early for northern lights observations, already this September there has been at least three nights when one could see auroras even in southern Finland where I live and further in the north the suitable conditions occur even more often. And in certain way, the late autumn may offer better viewing conditions as the nights may look even darker than what they are once snow falls.

But the late evenings/nights are already be quite cool (if not cold) and they are getting even colder as the winter is approaching, so the aurora hunting can be quite chilly activity. And then even if there is suitable space weather conditions for auroras, it might not be possible to see them if the sky is cloud covered...