Premier vs Plus - short cruises

PMGS247

Premier includes 2x specialty dining's.  I've been able to find in FAQ's that if you're on a B2B that this is doubled to 4.  I'm curious how this works on a 10-day but that's pure curiosity as I don't have any 10-day's on the horizon.

What I'm not able to find in any of the details is how this works on a shorter cruise - 5 days in my situation. Is it still the full 2 specialty dining's?

My assumption based on the lack of any language to the contrary is it's included all the same, but figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had read anything to the contrary.

I'm guessing they just don't do enough short sailings to bother differentiating, but it does change the math quite a bit.  Assuming it's 2 specialty dining's on either 5 or 7, the math actually works out for DW and I that the upgrade is worth it on my upcoming 5-day cruise but not my subsequent 7-day bookings.

46 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Premier includes 2x specialty dining's.  I've been able to find in FAQ's that if you're on a B2B that this is doubled to 4.  I'm curious how this works on a 10-day but that's pure curiosity as I don't have any 10-day's on the horizon.

What I'm not able to find in any of the details is how this works on a shorter cruise - 5 days in my situation. Is it still the full 2 specialty dining's?

My assumption based on the lack of any language to the contrary is it's included all the same, but figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had read anything to the contrary.

I'm guessing they just don't do enough short sailings to bother differentiating, but it does change the math quite a bit.  Assuming it's 2 specialty dining's on either 5 or 7, the math actually works out for DW and I that the upgrade is worth it on my upcoming 5-day cruise but not my subsequent 7-day bookings.

on a 5 day on CB in October - we have around $300 OBC so we will stick with PLUS 50 as booked.

on a 5 day on SUN in 2024 - little or no OBC - we 'upgraded' from PLUS60 to Premier, as the 2 specialty dinners each ate up most of the $100 pp upgrade fee.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, voljeep said:

on a 5 day on CB in October - we have around $300 OBC so we will stick with PLUS 50 as booked.

on a 5 day on SUN in 2024 - little or no OBC - we 'upgraded' from PLUS60 to Premier, as the 2 specialty dinners each ate up most of the $100 pp upgrade fee.

Yep so you've come up with the same math as me for your 5 day next year.

I'm the same October sailing this year but opting for a 7 day on the Sun next year, unless DW steps in at some point and decides she only wants to do 5 it wouldn't shock me if we end up shifting to that same Q4 5-day on the Sun.

The OBC is a good thought. Similar to you I've got $250 which is a lot for just 5 days on the CB. I figured I'd find a way to spend it on the fly as I always do but it would be smart to allocate it to the premier upgrades rather than changing the package.

3 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

It's 2 per voyage/segment, regardless of length 

A 10 night sailing, 2 specialty dinners

A 4 night sailing, 2 specialty dinners

A 32 night sailing, 2 specialty dinners.

There's no extra on longer segments, and no less on shorter segments.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

I can see the argument for simplicity but that's a pretty big hit to the value on longer cruises.  At least on a B2B it's doubled.  None of these longer segment or B2B issues ever applies to me, home life doesn't dictate that I can be away for more than a 7 day cruise in any one trip, but it's interesting.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

I can see the argument for simplicity but that's a pretty big hit to the value on longer cruises.  At least on a B2B it's doubled.  None of these longer segment or B2B issues ever applies to me, home life doesn't dictate that I can be away for more than a 7 day cruise in any one trip, but it's interesting.

Yes, it's one of the big drawbacks to Premier on longer cruises - they don't increase the # of dining credits for the specialty restaurants, ie Crown, Sabatini's, Catch and the like. But you also have unlimited casual dining, which sort of makes up the difference over Plus, for that one aspect. Providing your ship has any of the casual dining venues like Alfredo's or O'Malley's or such, you have unlimited prixe fixe meals in those versus only 2 with Plus. 

For some, it's worth it regardless for the higher drink caps or photo packages, etc. 

YMMV 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, it's one of the big drawbacks to Premier on longer cruises - they don't increase the # of dining credits for the specialty restaurants, ie Crown, Sabatini's, Catch and the like. But you also have unlimited casual dining, which sort of makes up the difference over Plus, for that one aspect. Providing your ship has any of the casual dining venues like Alfredo's or O'Malley's or such, you have unlimited prixe fixe meals in those versus only 2 with Plus. 

For some, it's worth it regardless for the higher drink caps or photo packages, etc. 

YMMV 

Agreed.  Definitely other ways to make up that gap just felt like the specialty dining was a particularly noticeable one so I figured I'd confirm.  Appreciate the input.

19 hours ago, reedprincess said:

I was going to "like" your post, but I do not like this one bit.  It is a terrible way to implement this benefit and terribly unfair to guests who book long voyages and are spending more to do that.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sure, but GL in the scramble with everyone else to get SD reservations for those free meals.

I was able to book it in advance using the dining credits in the app!

That being said, as a Canadian, $39 USD per person (+ an additional $10 up-charge for a lobster tail) seems a bit high considering the MDR is included and also has similar food items. 
I know there is a whole thread about whether it’s worth it, which was a really interesting read. 
I don’t think I would upgrade from Standard to Plus or Premier in most cases, but this is my first Princess cruise and I am testing it out on a 3 night stay. I’m also sharing my wifi with my travel mates who got Standard in another cabin. 

also: hi GTA neighbour! Markham here 🙂

• Like 3

So I have booked a 19 day inaugural on the new Star on a Premier package and we are in a suite. It is made up of a 9 day + 10 day B2B - that means I will get six free speciality dining, including the first night on board perk for suite guests?!  Seems a lot, I won't get much chance to try out the new Suite Signature dining restaurant!

1 hour ago, ian441672 said:

So I have booked a 19 day inaugural on the new Star on a Premier package and we are in a suite. It is made up of a 9 day + 10 day B2B - that means I will get six free speciality dining, including the first night on board perk for suite guests?!  Seems a lot, I won't get much chance to try out the new Suite Signature dining restaurant!

How does the calculation of 6 specialty dining work?  Premier has 2 per sailing, doubled on a B2B. Based on your description that would be 4; 5 if you throw in the suite perk.  Not sure where the other comes from.  I hope you're right but I'm just trying to understand.

56 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

How does the calculation of 6 specialty dining work?  Premier has 2 per sailing, doubled on a B2B. Based on your description that would be 4; 5 if you throw in the suite perk.  Not sure where the other comes from.  I hope you're right but I'm just trying to understand.

No problem - I assumed I would get one for the suite perk on leg 1 and then one (the sixth) for the second B2B leg on the first night, or does it not work like that? Even 5 is still a good deal!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

No problem - I assumed I would get one for the suite perk on leg 1 and then one (the sixth) for the second B2B leg on the first night, or does it not work like that? Even 5 is still a good deal!

You're correct, it'll be 6. You'll get the suite perk on each leg. Plus you're two per segment for Premier. So, 3 per segment for each of you, or 6 total. 

1 hour ago, ian441672 said:

Agreed, that makes sense, I didn't double the suite perk.