??? looking for input

darlene62

Over the years have been on several NCL cruises and I have enjoyed...I find the prices even with discounts now to be ridiculous!  Was wondering if others felt same way.  I liked some of my Haven cabins, but current prices make me feel disrespected and out of proportion to services. I

'm curious to hear other reviews...kind of not huge because I can find other ships,

Thanks 🙂 

5 minutes ago, darlene62 said:

Over the years have been on several NCL cruises and I have enjoyed...I find the prices even with discounts now to be ridiculous!  Was wondering if others felt same way.  I liked some of my Haven cabins, but current prices make me feel disrespected and out of proportion to services. I'm curious to hear other reviews...kind of not huge because I can find other ships, Thanks 🙂 

Supply and demand. The cruise line can sell at the current prices, so they do.

Folks come here to CC and say "why can't it be like the good 'ole days???" Have you looked around you at what is happening? Here, we used to get eggs for $0.79/dozen pre-pandemic. It jumped to $5+. Now sits around $2+. So that price has nearly tripled. Cruise prices aren't that bad. The cruise lines are also faced with recovering from 1 1/2 years of a forced shutdown, not imposed on any other industry during the pandemic.

So,,, if you want to cruise, thems is the prices. And since people are paying those prices, there is no reduction in fares coming any time soon. And if you can find other ships with comparable services at a lower price, go and book them. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

I think there was a misunderstanding of my post.  I was not being combative rather I wanted other's view....I know I did not say or omg "threaten" in any way NCL costs...I just wanted some opinions....kind of like opinions and not threatening posts...you get that right? You do know that others may disagree with you and that is ok...its opinion and not a threat to their bottom line.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And you got someone's point of view. Prices are high but deals can be found if you look around. I don't find other lines any cheaper these days and most ships are sailing full. But I don't sail in the Haven...would rather do a couple of cruises per year than pay Haven prices. That's just my opinion and preference. YMMV.

• Like 6

There is a very similar discussion on the Viking Ocean thread and I commented there as well.  And yes, in my opinion (not really, this is a fact), the sales DO exist, because I am receiving offers ALL THE TIME from everybody.  But one has to be flexible, not plan too far in advance, and not be set on a particular ship, date, or itinerary.  It also helps to check pricing regularly, and be on all the email lists.

Yes, people are paying the full prices (including me), but we are choosing to do so because we want something specific (I  planned my recent cruise two years in advance).  And if people pay, why should the cruise lines reduce prices?  But they will, just to fill ships.  

One of the bigger challenges these days is then finding reasonable airfare to get to the cruise.  However, you can always search cruises in driving distance from home.  Best wishes!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

One of the bigger challenges these days is then finding reasonable airfare to get to the cruise.  However, you can always search cruises in driving distance from home.  Best wishes!

Oh my goodness - this is so true. I had a phenomenal offer from Carnival in February for their summer European itineraries but alas, the cost of the airfare was prohibitive. 

Looks like you're American so at least you had a lot of options... Up north we have far less options so you can imagine that means we have to live with high costs. For example, in 2018, the cost of flights for hubby, my two sons and myself to fly from Toronto to New Orleans for a cruise was so expensive (just over $4000 Cdn so around $3000 USD), I cancelled the seven night cruise and booked a 12 night cruise out of Manhattan that we drove to because ultimately it was significantly cheaper! 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

One of the bigger challenges these days is then finding reasonable airfare to get to the cruise.

Yes, I double down on this issue.  There have been a number of European itineraries with decent prices…we just can afford to get over there. I wish the airlines who offer companion tickets with their private label credit cards (i.e., Delta) would allow international travel.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, darlene62 said:

Over the years have been on several NCL cruises and I have enjoyed...I find the prices even with discounts now to be ridiculous!  Was wondering if others felt same way. 

I understand what you're saying. We've gotten some good Haven deals, but when I compare to other options, sometimes it just doesn't pencil out for us. Example - we also sail the Yacht Club on MSC. It includes the spa as well as premium drink package within the Yacht Club. It can be a better deal for the things we value. Our next NCL cruise we are are keeping things simple with a Club Balcony and adding the spa package and paying a few dollars extra to upgrade to a premium cocktail here and there. That helps remove the sting for us.

Denise

darlene62 I agree with you.  Though I love NCL - to the point that I am Sapphire Level - but it's time to look around, both for price and variety.  My last trip and one of my next two trips will be on other cruise lines.

• Like 1

I have not found this to be the case at all.
I have 2 cruises (Dec 23, Dec 24) that are, what I think, very good deals, the upcoming cruise (Dec 23 Mia-la pc 15 days) is so low I didn’t even call for the get the latest price drop (single occupancy balcony). I’m almost embarrassed to mention what I actually paid (for 15 days!). It was under 2K. 
You can even get 15 days in the haven for about what a 7 day would cost (<9k w/MAP).

The Dec ‘24 7 day cruise on encore is ~1800 for single occupancy balcony. I have reserved haven 2 bedroom for 8k. Not a purple-hamburger-pooping-unicorn of a deal, but solid imo.
point is, there are good prices out there. Haven included.

Edited by JamesIowa
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, darlene62 said:

I think there was a misunderstanding of my post.  I was not being combative rather I wanted other's view....I know I did not say or omg "threaten" in any way NCL costs...I just wanted some opinions....kind of like opinions and not threatening posts...you get that right? You do know that others may disagree with you and that is ok...its opinion and not a threat to their bottom line.

It was probably the part about "...current prices make me feel disrespected..." that caused the misunderstanding. 

• Haha 1

If you really want to cruise NCL (or any line right now), you have to be flexible. If you really want to cruise Haven, you need to be super flexible! We just booked (like this week just) a cruise on Pr1ma that sails in 109 days from Barcelona. We were debating three cruises (Western Caribbean on Breakaway in January, Panama Canal on Joy in December, and Pr1ma Transatlantic in December). When looking at prices, divided by number of days onboard, the Pr1ma became the best financial option.

I used to work in education, so I know what inflexible calendars look like. Thankfully, I no longer work in a field where when I take a vacation matters. My husband, who mentioned this cruise to me, can only cruise from October - April, due to his job. So, we have flexibility. Further flexibility was needed as I don't have enough PTO days. That means I'm going unpaid to take this cruise, but we're fortunate in that we can afford this with no impact on our wallets. 

I say all that to say we didn't book the most expensive stateroom (it is Haven, but certainly not a deluxe owner's suite) and we aren't going on our top choice cruise. We only have two ports as I don't count embarkation in Barcelona or disembarkation in Manhattan. So, is it our dream cruise? Nope! But, it's an affordable cruise on a line we love and providing a certain quality of service that we desire. 

This doesn't just work for Haven rooms. You can do this for a stateroom within your budget too (I get going unpaid for a couple weeks at work might not be within a budget), but if you're looking at cruises you've figured out your vacation time. 

Since we're on a Transatlantic we only have to worry about one way airfare. We chose NCL's BOGO Airfare with a two day deviation. We're definitely not staying in NCL's hotel as we can find a boutique at a better price. The airfare is not bad at all. I've paid more to fly to Florida.

• Like 6

Deals can be had for sure. Travelling solo makes costs even more prohibitive. Now that Celebrity seems to be back to charging full single supplements on everything I am trying out NCL because some itineraries aren’t. 

The airfare Ottawa to Rome and NYC to Ottawa I was able to find for only a little more than my upcoming trip to Houston. Don’t know why Houston has become so expensive to fly to over the last 12 months.

I haven’t found a TA I like so I research and book everything on my own. The research pays off in a great vacation at a reasonable price.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Yes, I double down on this issue.  There have been a number of European itineraries with decent prices…we just can afford to get over there. I wish the airlines who offer companion tickets with their private label credit cards (i.e., Delta) would allow international travel.  

I wish Delta would let me pay 1/2 price as an option to the companion.  I rarely get to use my companion tickets.  I only keep their card for lounge access, but I am seriously rethinking it.

• Like 1

Just now, smillerholmes said:

I wish Delta would let me pay 1/2 price as an option to the companion.  I rarely get to use my companion tickets.  I only keep their card for lounge access, but I am seriously rethinking it.

Honestly, that would make so much sense for solo travelers.  I think I may float your idea and mine on the fb page for Skymiles.  I think one of the admins is a Delta employee.  Or at least the page is monitored.  

• Like 1

Two words: Yacht Club (MSC).   You get a lot more bang for your buck  (24/7 internet , drink package, spa....all included).  One sailing in YC and I was sold.  Buffet breakfasts and lunches on pool deck (not in the Haven)....personalized pizza delivery (not in the Haven)...add to the value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I haven’t found a TA I like so I research and book everything on my own. The research pays off in a great vacation at a reasonable price.

When DW & I take a vacation, we need to do a little planning.  I'm envious of the many "posters"  that are able travel at will.

We're both in our 60's... she's on the sunrise end, I'm closer to sunset.  She still works full time (31-yrs at same company); I've been retired for the past 6-yrs, although I do quite a bit of volunteer work for a well-known national non-profit.  DW gets 5-wks of paid vacation, but can only request one week at a time & no more than 90-days out.  In the past, management has been willing to make certain exceptions on an individual basis... such as putting down a deposit on a future cruise or an extended vacation.  "Future" is the key, being a valued employee doesn't hurt either.

After taking some time away from traveling, we've decided we've earned the right to treat ourselves to a "BIG" vacation.  Now that doesn't mean I don't care about the cost, but as many others have said; there are deals to be found, you just have to do some research.

There's a tangible difference between "cost" and "value"... "cost" is directly proportional to availability; getting "value" for that cost is a perception.  I feel that I do enough research to reduce the cost as much as I can, while still receiving enough value to justify that cost.

But there's one additional thing I wish everyone would factor into the equation; "Realistic Expectations"... I remember hearing from a fellow passenger on a past cruise that "their entire cruise was ruined because a friend had told them they would have lobster every night on the buffet".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, darlene62 said:

Over the years have been on several NCL cruises and I have enjoyed...I find the prices even with discounts now to be ridiculous!  Was wondering if others felt same way.  I liked some of my Haven cabins, but current prices make me feel disrespected and out of proportion to services. I

'm curious to hear other reviews...kind of not huge because I can find other ships,

Thanks 🙂 

Have you priced other lines, you will be surprised especially when you add all the extras.

@azappraiser  I completely get the cost vs value concept.

For me, Haven has almost no value because what I like about YC doesn't exist in the Haven.  And to be honest, I only tried YC because DH was having medical issues and I wanted to make life easy (for both of us).  Once I tried it, at a price about double of my originally booked "balcony with the masses cabin"....there was no question that it was so worth it....it was invaluable.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, azappraiser said:

But there's one additional thing I wish everyone would factor into the equation; "Realistic Expectations"... I remember hearing from a fellow passenger on a past cruise that "their entire cruise was ruined because a friend had told them they would have lobster every night on the buffet".

Priceless.

-Agree prices are higher all around for cruising...with less provided in services.

-Pound for pound, as a value play, the Haven is absolutely not worth it.

-'Deals' can be found, but like others said, gotta be flexible.

Good luck.  Hope you find your next cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Honestly, that would make so much sense for solo travelers.  I think I may float your idea and mine on the fb page for Skymiles.  I think one of the admins is a Delta employee.  Or at least the page is monitored.  

That's a great idea.  American Airlines has a menu of "options" you can choose from once you hit certain mile markers.  The 15% discount when booking with Skymiles is a pretty good option, but I think Delta can do better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

That's a great idea.  American Airlines has a menu of "options" you can choose from once you hit certain mile markers.  The 15% discount when booking with Skymiles is a pretty good option, but I think Delta can do better.

So I put it out there about 3 o’clock ET and it continues to be top trending with over 50 comments almost all favorable for solo and several (those who understand) for main international.  I even had a confirmation that the group is administered by Delta.  Fingers-crossed. Would be a great enhancement for 2024.  I also shutdown a stockholder who claimed it would give him less of a return.  I shared how he would make 50% more when he sold your companion seat st full fare.  

• Like 1