Why are only guarantee cabins available to book?

StellaGrace

Hi All,

I sailed Princess about ten years ago and am interested in giving it another try. I recently booked a Princess cruise in a mini suite for early 2024, but am now looking at booking a possible second cruise. After playing around a bit, I see that when entering one or two passengers, the cabin availability is only guarantee for any categories between an obstructed balcony to a mini suite. Yet, when three passengers are entered, lots of cabin availability opens up to select specific cabin #s. I have tried this with several cruises and a couple of different ships. This is very frustrating as I like to select my cabin. The intended sailings are a year out, so it's not a matter of the ships being full. It also doesn't seem due to a block on solo passengers, since I also tried it with two people. Is this standard practice for Princess? Am I missing a trick to seeing the actual cabin availability? My TA said she was having the same issue. 

Thanks for your help!

If you use a TA, see what they can do.  This possible system bug has been reported and discussed recently in more than one thread.  I have yet to read anyone report as to whether this is deliberate by PCL or a system bug related to the change to market GTY lead-in category with Non-Refundable Deposits.

You could try calling Princess, but get a CVP and not any phone rep, and ask them what is going on.  I wish someone running into your problem had reported any response from Princess.

A workaround is to add a third person and then cancel them out later on.

1 hour ago, StellaGrace said:

Hi All,

I sailed Princess about ten years ago and am interested in giving it another try. I recently booked a Princess cruise in a mini suite for early 2024, but am now looking at booking a possible second cruise. After playing around a bit, I see that when entering one or two passengers, the cabin availability is only guarantee for any categories between an obstructed balcony to a mini suite. Yet, when three passengers are entered, lots of cabin availability opens up to select specific cabin #s. I have tried this with several cruises and a couple of different ships. This is very frustrating as I like to select my cabin. The intended sailings are a year out, so it's not a matter of the ships being full. It also doesn't seem due to a block on solo passengers, since I also tried it with two people. Is this standard practice for Princess? Am I missing a trick to seeing the actual cabin availability? My TA said she was having the same issue. 

Thanks for your help!

Could your TA call PCL and have them get the room you want, if you see it available?  I know, they don’t want to call PCL either. 

They should have a dedicated Agency line for TA’s to work with them, but mine said they do not have one for them.

Or, as suggested, book what you want for 3 and have the TA pick it up and straighten it out.  If they can’t, cancel the 3rd person later.  Sad, this is still an issue.

It could be a marketing strategy, as I’ve seen this happen, far out.  Then, months later, if the cruise is not full, they open a few more (for 2) in that category for sale, that were once only open for 3.  Maximizing revenue?  JMO

We really don’t know, it could also be a programming error too.  Not much feedback on this subject.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Could your TA call PCL and have them get the room you want, if you see it available?  I know, they don’t want to call PCL either. 

They should have a dedicated Agency line for TA’s to work with them, but mine said they do not have one for them.

Or, as suggested, book what you want for 3 and have the TA pick it up and straighten it out.  If they can’t, cancel the 3rd person later.  Sad, this is still an issue.

It could be a marketing strategy, as I’ve seen this happen, far out.  Then, months later, if the cruise is not full, they open a few more (for 2) in that category for sale, that were once only open for 3.  Maximizing revenue?  JMO

We really don’t know, it could also be a programming error too.  Not much feedback on this subject.

By using my TA we are able to get the cabins we want at the price we find acceptable. She does have a dedicated line for her agency to call.  Usually only takes 10-15 minutes to take care of.

11 minutes ago, Potstech said:

By using my TA we are able to get the cabins we want at the price we find acceptable. She does have a dedicated line for her agency to call.  Usually only takes 10-15 minutes to take care of.

Yes, some of the bigger agencies do have a dedicated line.  Mine is a smaller agency, but very helpful.

Has your TA been able to get a cabin for you, in the same situation posted by the OP?