Flight Connection in Amsterdam...Do we need to claim our bags and recheck?

number one eagles fan

You will go through inbound Schengen immigration in AMS and will clear customs with your luggage at CPH.  You will not have to do anything with your luggage at AMS.

At AMS, you will move from the "extra-Schengen" section of the airport to the "intra-Schengen" section - there will be passport control at that point.

OTOH, if you have a longer connection, I recommend visiting the airport branch of the national Rijksmuseum.  It's in the "extra-Schengen" section of the airport on Holland Boulevard.  Well worth the time.  Then go over to the "intra-Schengen" area.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

You will go through inbound Schengen immigration in AMS and will clear customs with your luggage at CPH.  You will not have to do anything with your luggage at AMS.

At AMS, you will move from the "extra-Schengen" section of the airport to the "intra-Schengen" section - there will be passport control at that point.

OTOH, if you have a longer connection, I recommend visiting the airport branch of the national Rijksmuseum.  It's in the "extra-Schengen" section of the airport on Holland Boulevard.  Well worth the time.  Then go over to the "intra-Schengen" area.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/

A great big thank you for clarifying this for me. I'm so glad I don't have to claim our bags in Amsterdam.

Just as an FYI -- for everyone.  There is a "Cruise Air" forum here on CC, where you can often get a better reach for your questions than in a specific cruiseline forum.  For example, this situation applies for all flights through AMS, not just those associated with Silversea.

2 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

We are flying Atlanta to Copenhagen but connecting in Amsterdam. Will we have to claim our bags and recheck? I can't seem to find a clear answer when I do a computer search. There are various references to schengen versus non-schengen. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you on the Dawn in October? I am flying from ATL to copenhagen also on oct 16th.  I was doing the same inquiry search as i like to be fully prepared.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, ketjupiter said:

Are you on the Dawn in October? I am flying from ATL to copenhagen also on oct 16th.  I was doing the same inquiry search as i like to be fully prepared.

We actually sail on August 15th.

It was so hard getting clarification on this. FlyerTalker put my mind at ease. I didn't like the thought of having to claim my bags and recheck them with only a 1 hour 20 minute layover. 

I feel so much bettre now.

Enjoy your trip!

1 hour ago, number one eagles fan said:

It was so hard getting clarification on this. FlyerTalker put my mind at ease. I didn't like the thought of having to claim my bags and recheck them with only a 1 hour 20 minute layover.

One last proviso.

The info provided is if you are traveling from ATL to AMS to CPH on one ticket.  That through ticket will have your bags through-checked to CPH.  If you were flying on a cobbled-together itinerary of two separate tickets, that's where you would have to collect your bags and recheck for a completely new flight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

One last proviso.

The info provided is if you are traveling from ATL to AMS to CPH on one ticket.  That through ticket will have your bags through-checked to CPH.  If you were flying on a cobbled-together itinerary of two separate tickets, that's where you would have to collect your bags and recheck for a completely new flight.

As always @FlyerTalkergives great advice.  When checking in we always make sure our bags have the final destination on the luggage tag.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

As always @FlyerTalkergives great advice.  When checking in we always make sure our bags have the final destination on the luggage tag.

Amen to that, and for ALL flights, even direct domestic ones!

Always know the 3 letter IATA code for your destination airport, and when they slap those tags on your bags, be sure they're what you expect!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

only a 1 hour 20 minute layover. 

If I may interject something to consider for future bookings -    Although airlines have different rules for minimum connection times we have our own.  Depending on the airport, time of day, history of on time departure, and number of similar flights after:  For domestic, we like at least an hour, 2 is better.  International,  at least 2 hours, 3 is better. It's not worth the stress and missed connections.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 8:58 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

If I may interject something to consider for future bookings -    Although airlines have different rules for minimum connection times we have our own.  Depending on the airport, time of day, history of on time departure, and number of similar flights after:  For domestic, we like at least an hour, 2 is better.  International,  at least 2 hours, 3 is better. It's not worth the stress and missed connections.

Folks complain that they don't want to sit around in an airport waiting for their connection.  I say that it beats running (and sometimes missing) a close connection, being stressed out, and more.  Plus, a longer connect gives you a chance to spread out from a cramped airline seat, stretch your legs and rest.

And in some airports, including Amsterdam, there are interesting things to see/do in the airport itself.  Beyond the art museum in AMS, there are museums and art installations at many airports.  Changi in Singapore is a destination all its own, as is Hong Kong, plus the airports in Doha and Dubai.

Now, if you are flying on business - and time is money - then perhaps you want to compress your travel time.  But I'll almost always recommend the comfortable connect over the close one.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

But I'll almost always recommend the comfortable connect over the close one.

Generally, I agree with you. That said, following advice from a local, I just booked a 1 hour 40 minute connection in Copenhagen (departing from Toronto end destination Oslo). I do know that there are a number more flights after the one I booked to get to Oslo, so I'm not too worried.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Generally, I agree with you. That said, following advice from a local, I just booked a 1 hour 40 minute connection in Copenhagen (departing from Toronto end destination Oslo). I do know that there are a number more flights after the one I booked to get to Oslo, so I'm not too worried.

Copenhagen can be a zoo.  Of course you could probably say that about any airport these days. It's good that you have multiple flights after yours.  We got stymied there by a line of 200+ people going through immigration. Chaos. After 45 minutes and still 75 people back,  they called our flight and we were able to jump to the head of the line and catch our flight.   The folks who were around the corner in line probably didn't hear the call.

I'm still with @FlyerTalker.  Give me a guaranteed seat on the safer flight.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, number one eagles fan said:

A great big thank you for clarifying this for me. I'm so glad I don't have to claim our bags in Amsterdam.

Just a point that a plane to plane luggage transfer assumes you are connecting on the same airline or a partner airline.  If you happen to be connecting on a different airline without a partnership agreement you will have to pick up your luggage as if Copenhagen was your destination and re-check it with the second airline.  As such, I hope you are connecting on the same or a partner airline.  This also reduces the walking distance and number of checkpoints as planes from the same airline and alliance tend to be clustered together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

Just a point that a plane to plane luggage transfer assumes you are connecting on the same airline or a partner airline.  If you happen to be connecting on a different airline without a partnership agreement you will have to pick up your luggage as if Copenhagen was your destination and re-check it with the second airline.  As such, I hope you are connecting on the same or a partner airline.  This also reduces the walking distance and number of checkpoints as planes from the same airline and alliance tend to be clustered together.

We are flying Delta and connecting to KLM. The trip was booked under one reservation with Delta so I'm feeling confident that our luggage will be checked through to our final destination of Copenhagen. KLM is a partner airline with Delta.

Thank you for your concern/help. 

50 minutes ago, number one eagles fan said:

We are flying Delta and connecting to KLM. The trip was booked under one reservation with Delta so I'm feeling confident that our luggage will be checked through to our final destination of Copenhagen. KLM is a partner airline with Delta.

When you check in at the airport at the start of your trip, just check the luggage tags to see where the final destination is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

It will be, in that case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

Then you are good to go!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

On 2 Delta flights to AMS with Stop and change of plane to KLM for rest of the trip, my bags did not get on the KLM flight!    I avoid any KLM flights and Amsterdam like the plague.  Hope no one has this happen to them! 

And on more than a dozen connections through AMS, my bags have made the connection every time.

• Like 1