NCL Free at Sea Promo - What Airline Were you booked on?

Hunny15602

NCL Airfare Promo - What Airline Were you booked on?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. NCL Airfare Promo - What Airline Were you booked on?

• Alaska
    • Allegiant
    • American
    • Delta
    • Frontier
    • Hawaiian
    • JetBlue
    • Southwest
    • Spirit
    • United
    • Continental
    • Republic
    • SkyWest
    • Other

3 hours ago, Hunny15602 said:

It's really more of being honest than anything else.  A Princess promo I used 3x, said free airfare, up to $xxx.  So they covered the published prices (I compared it against the airline website the same day; prices were the same or $20-50 higher, pretty nominal).

You lost me at honest. The program is what it is, has no relationship to what other cruiselines offer. NCL sets their airfare prices years in advance rather than using the current rate, although they sometimes do make adjustments. So sometimes you win, sometimes you're better off booking yourself - but the 2nd person is free, as advertised.   

Sounds like your beef is with your TA who didn't explain the fine print. But you might still have some wiggle room if you are having 2nd thoughts..

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You lost me at honest. The program is what it is, has no relationship to what other cruiselines offer. NCL sets their airfare prices years in advance rather than using the current rate, although they sometimes do make adjustments. So sometimes you win, sometimes you're better off booking yourself - but the 2nd person is free, as advertised.   

Sounds like your beef is with your TA who didn't explain the fine print. But you might still have some wiggle room if you are having 2nd thoughts..

I had to review my comments; way more interaction than I expected, and this comment was part of a multi post response.

But I do stand by the honest concern, as an over-arching part of their free at sea program.

Where the airfare is concerned, even if I walk away from what they provide, it's not the end of the world; I just really want to know if I need to be worried about the carrier, and I had to sift through multiple pages of fine print before I found one that really applied to this program; there are some pages of fine print specifically calling out dates, but not clear if those are booking promo dates or travel dates, 😩! So that's not a great way to handle it, snacks of dishonesty.  I did lol at them including the option of a private charter plane though.

I would never take the free alcohol program, b/c it's hardly free, and that's one of their most dishonest claims.  I understand the math behind it, but to charge everyone the tax on the max # of drinks, regardless of actual consumption?  On this particular cruise, it adds a grand to the total price.  No doubt some people will utilize it to it's full extent, but most won't come close.  Our party probably will have a drink/day/person, and with so many days in port, most of those drinks will happen off the ship.

Not to compare again to Princess (their informal dining options are horrible compared to NCL), but their free promos for drinks was exactly that, free.  They even picked up the tax, and the only limitation was ordering one drink/person at a time, which is totally reasonable.

As for the TA, yeah, not using their service again; I've learned more here than through her, and I may be educating her whenever she responds back about getting the deviation...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

The other thing to consider is a deviation. You may want to contact NCL, your travel agent, or PCC to request a one or two day pre-cruise deviation. This will get you into the city a day or two ahead of the cruise. And, relieve anxiety, especially in the winter (you know how it is!) if a storm is coming through.

You would need to get yourself from the airport to your hotel and from hotel to port (unless booking with NCL's hotel - I don't encourage this as you'll pay more). 

You have up until 75 days prior to sail date to add a deviation. Think about it. Since you're within driving distance if flights get messed up, it's not totally necessary, but I would do it. 

I am sailing on the Norwegian Sky, 02-OCT-2023. I received this email from NCL "

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. You are receiving this communication, as you have reserved your flights for your upcoming voyage through Norwegian Cruise Line's air program.

At this time, we are experiencing a large volume of airline schedule changes and modifications and as such we will be issuing your flight confirmation approximately 30 days prior to the embarkation date. The electronic confirmation will be sent to the email on file. If you already received your flight itinerary details, you may disregard this communication.

For any additional information regarding your flight schedule, please contact our Premium Air Department at 1-866-625-1163 (USA/Canada) or 305-436-0866 (Miami-Dade County only), from Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST, and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30p.m EST.

We thank you for your continued loyalty and support. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon and providing you with an exceptional vacation experience.

Sincerely,
Norwegian Air Department"

I asked NCL if can delay my departure from Baltimore for two days to visit my grandson who is do an internship with one of the Federal Government Agencies. I was told no changes within 70 days. I said the carrier has not been selected by NCL and no airlines tickets have been issued. What can I do to make the change. The airline ticket  buys one and get one free. The Resolution Supervisor said I can cancel my flights.

Any recommendations who to contact at the Executive Office?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SALAMANCA2014 said:

I asked NCL if can delay my departure from Baltimore for two days to visit my grandson who is do an internship with one of the Federal Government Agencies. I was told no changes within 70 days. I said the carrier has not been selected by NCL and no airlines tickets have been issued. What can I do to make the change. The airline ticket  buys one and get one free. The Resolution Supervisor said I can cancel my flights.

Contact Katty Byrd (kbyrd...ncl.com). Unfortunately, seems like they have bots sorting the email, so you might not get past the gatekeepers but it's worth a try.

I was once able to change my gateway 1 day after the booking deadline at that time, using a similar argument, although in my case the option to choose a deviation was still open. Probably doesn't hurt to acknowledge that you know it's against policy but you would be forever grateful if they could pleeeeze help you out!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SALAMANCA2014 said:

I think...you're out of luck. If my math is right, you're well past the 75 day mark. Here's the relevant portion from NCL's Air Service Standards:

image.png.46a3c418f3a3a57738a0f7e5ba230b77.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

You could try calling to speak with another agent or request to be transferred to the air department (be prepared for them to say no). If they do add the deviation, I bet they'll smack a change fee on your reservation since you're beyond 75 days. If the tickets truly haven't been issued, then maybe, possibly, but highly unlikely, NCL will help you. I so strongly don't think it's possible, but I won't say never.

If you want to escalate, good luck. Here's a webpage with emails for NCL's peoples! https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think...you're out of luck. If my math is right, you're well past the 75 day mark. Here's the relevant portion from NCL's Air Service Standards:

image.png.46a3c418f3a3a57738a0f7e5ba230b77.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

You could try calling to speak with another agent or request to be transferred to the air department (be prepared for them to say no). If they do add the deviation, I bet they'll smack a change fee on your reservation since you're beyond 75 days. If the tickets truly haven't been issued, then maybe, possibly, but highly unlikely, NCL will help you. I so strongly don't think it's possible, but I won't say never.

If you want to escalate, good luck. Here's a webpage with emails for NCL's peoples! https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

Can't fill out the poll as my airlines are different for going and coming home. Going to the cruise we're booked on Iceland Air, coming home it's with Delta. 

Iceland Air we can upgrade to comfort plus. Coming home on Delta we are not allowed to upgrade our seats at all.

Previous time using NCL air in February we were booked on AA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hunny15602 said:

I had to review my comments; way more interaction than I expected, and this comment was part of a multi post response.

But I do stand by the honest concern, as an over-arching part of their free at sea program.

Where the airfare is concerned, even if I walk away from what they provide, it's not the end of the world; I just really want to know if I need to be worried about the carrier, and I had to sift through multiple pages of fine print before I found one that really applied to this program; there are some pages of fine print specifically calling out dates, but not clear if those are booking promo dates or travel dates, 😩! So that's not a great way to handle it, snacks of dishonesty.  I did lol at them including the option of a private charter plane though.

I would never take the free alcohol program, b/c it's hardly free, and that's one of their most dishonest claims.  I understand the math behind it, but to charge everyone the tax on the max # of drinks, regardless of actual consumption?  On this particular cruise, it adds a grand to the total price.  No doubt some people will utilize it to it's full extent, but most won't come close.  Our party probably will have a drink/day/person, and with so many days in port, most of those drinks will happen off the ship.

Not to compare again to Princess (their informal dining options are horrible compared to NCL), but their free promos for drinks was exactly that, free.  They even picked up the tax, and the only limitation was ordering one drink/person at a time, which is totally reasonable.

As for the TA, yeah, not using their service again; I've learned more here than through her, and I may be educating her whenever she responds back about getting the deviation...

You don't have to take the drink package. It can, along with the specialty dining fee, be removed from your reservation. If you only have one drink a day, then paying as you go would work best for you. If you drink more than 2 drinks (beer, wine, soda, cocktails), then the drink package is more economical (it's roughly $22 a day). 

As somenone else mentioned, your TA did not do a good job with informing you of the T&Cs for your cruise. 

16 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You don't have to take the drink package. It can, along with the specialty dining fee, be removed from your reservation. If you only have one drink a day, then paying as you go would work best for you. If you drink more than 2 drinks (beer, wine, soda, cocktails), then the drink package is more economical (it's roughly $22 a day). 

As somenone else mentioned, your TA did not do a good job with informing you of the T&Cs for your cruise. 

I know that, and I try all my options on their site before engaging the TA, and this will be the last time we use her.

I'm amazed by how many people don't uncheck the box, and don't realize that their booking price changes so much.  I've explained this to people I know, and so many of them assume it's taxes and port fees.  I'm sure it's a profit center; so many people don't do any research, don:t read the newsletters on the cruise, and then get a surprise the last night.

4 minutes ago, Hunny15602 said:

I know that, and I try all my options on their site before engaging the TA, and this will be the last time we use her.

I'm amazed by how many people don't uncheck the box, and don't realize that their booking price changes so much.  I've explained this to people I know, and so many of them assume it's taxes and port fees.  I'm sure it's a profit center; so many people don't do any research, don:t read the newsletters on the cruise, and then get a surprise the last night.

What surprise would that be?  The gratuities for the drink package and specialty dining are paid at the same time as the cruise...part of the final payment. Everything is listed by line item on your confirmation...taxes, port fees and the drink package/specialty dining grats.  

2 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

What surprise would that be?  The gratuities for the drink package and specialty dining are paid at the same time as the cruise...part of the final payment. Everything is listed by line item on your confirmation...taxes, port fees and the drink package/specialty dining grats.  

You've never met people who don't read the invoice?  The surprise is all the extras they don't seem to understand are add ins during the cruise (and never check their acct balance on the TV or app); the final night before dinner is interesting to watch the freaking out at customer service...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hunny15602 said:

You definitely have a misunderstanding on the drink package, too. No taxes, you just pay for what the gratuities would be for the package if purchased, around $21 pp pd, which is about the cost of 1 1/2 drinks. If you drink more than 1 1/2 drinks a day it is worth it. It’s not hidden either. Maybe you need a new TA who can explain things better?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hunny15602 said:

Unless one doesn’t drink alcohol, the drink package has an amazing value, and the gratuity on the dining package is almost nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hunny15602 said:

Why would someone decline a "free" drink package?
I know it isn't really "free".  But some believe it is "free". 

BTW, the second person doesn't fly "free" either.

• Like 2

We used the air promo once. Charlotte to Barcelona for a 7 day on the Breakaway. We flew Charlotte to Philadelphia then onto Barcelona, same for return. We could see our flight on AA website about 40 days prior and we selected our seats.

We also booked the hotel via NCL and flew in 2 days early. Since we had booked hotel with NCL they picked us up from airport and took us to hotel, then picked us up again morning of cruise. Worked great. Hotel was 2 blocks from Metro station so getting around city was easy.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:32 PM, cruiseny4life said:

What are the options if the air portion of the trip is cancelled?

On 8/4/2023 at 12:42 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Are you at final payment date yet? If not, you could cancel the airfare. I suppose this may be why you asked the question.

Personally, and without a lot of details (I can provide more if you'd like), I was happy with my NCL BOGO Airfare flights. We flew from SYR to FLL in March. 

We will be flying from SYR to BCN in November, so I'll see how the international flights work. I'm sure I'll post somewhere on Cruise Critic about my experience. 

Is your cruise Nov 1-12? BCN-Rome?

On 8/5/2023 at 7:41 AM, mjkacmom said:

Unless one doesn’t drink alcohol, the drink package has an amazing value, and the gratuity on the dining package is almost nothing. 

I agree with this. If one drinks even 1-2 drinks per day, the cost of the gratuities is marginal. We're talking $22/day and the cocktails I like are at least $12 a pop before 20% gratuity is added. (Remember, even people without a drinks package who pay as they go, are required to pay gratuity each time). Only complete teetotalers won't benefit from this, unless they drink soda (which is of course ALSO covered under the UBP).

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:57 PM, Hunny15602 said:

Here's the thing: there is so much variety in terms of how different cruise lines price their cabins + extras, it can be very difficult to make an apples-to-apples comparison. NCL is, for the most part, pretty straightforward: you book your cabin category, choose your location (aft, forward, midship) and then decide if you want the FAS items. You might want the BOGO airfare, too. Or not. When I've tried to research cruises on Royal Caribbean, they have multiple options just for the balcony cabins. Because in addition to the category and location, you have to say whether you want a balcony cabin facing the ocean or the balcony cabin facing the promenade. Gee, here I was thinking a balcony automatically means one that faces the sea. Silly me! I've seen similar nonsense with Princess, where you have 3 different options (Good, Better, Best) within the same cabin class depending on which "extras" you want. Costa cruises does something similar. Furthermore, NCL's free drinks package may not seem "free" because of the gratuities, but I can tell you from experience, I'd rather pay that than the $55 pppd we paid on Carnival or a similar amount on Royal. Oh, and if you think the cabins on those other lines cost less to cushion the blow of those drinks packages, think again. They cost the same or more. My view is always, always, always look at the "bottom line." Our TA has, in the past, put together an Excel spreadsheet showing the price of the cabin, drinks package, daily service charge, port fees, etc. for each line and each cruise so we could make a good comparison among lines. And for us, NCL is pretty competitive in terms of price. (MSC is also very competitive)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, luv2cruise523 said:

Is your cruise Nov 1-12? BCN-Rome?

No. We did look at that one, but decided we just wanted to fly one time. We're on the 11/20 - 12/1 Transatlantic form BCN to NYC. 

Are you cruising on the 11/1? Have a wonderful time exploring the Med if you are!

• Like 1