AMA Bordeaux post-cruise extension to Loire Valley questions

Host Jazzbeau

I'm booked on the AMA Taste of Bordeaux cruise, and considering adding their 3-night extension to Amboise and CDG.  The Amboise hotel will be Château de Pray (2 nts) and the CDG hotel will be Pullman Paris Roissy CDG Airport (1 nt).  Château visited are Chenonceau, Clos Lucé, Amboise, Chambord, and Blois. [We have seen Chenonceau and Chambord several times, but never the others.]

Has anyone taken this extension?  No dinners are included and the 'Amboise' hotel is a country estate well outside the city [it does have a Michelin restaurant - good for 1 night at least!]  It's expensive, but I don't know how we can revisit the Loire châteaux again, now that we don't do rental cars, without taking a package such as this.  [And the alternative to go home 'directly' from Bordeaux would require leaving the cruise after dinner on the last night, flying BA to LGW and staying at an airport hotel there before flying Delta home to JFK.]

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to AMA Bordeaux post-cruise extension to Loire Valley questions

I haven't done the extension but I did stay at that CDG hotel coming back from the AMA Normandy cruise.

its literally a "go to Paris and stay at the airport so you can leave"  hotel, sitting on top of the CDG TGV station (which is also a stop on the CDG terminals train so don't expect a normal transfer, just a walk to the train).  Nice hotel, I recall enjoying both dinner and breakfast the next day, but Paris proper was a little ways away.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

I haven't done the extension but I did stay at that CDG hotel coming back from the AMA Normandy cruise.

its literally a "go to Paris and stay at the airport so you can leave"  hotel, sitting on top of the CDG TGV station (which is also a stop on the CDG terminals train so don't expect a normal transfer, just a walk to the train).  Nice hotel, I recall enjoying both dinner and breakfast the next day, but Paris proper was a little ways away.

That's exactly what we want that night.  This is not a trip for Paris – there have been many and there will hopefully be more in the future, but not this time.  Thanks for the report on dinner and breakfast!

Thanks JP

When we were in Amboise in 2015 we stayed at Le Vieux Manoir, a boutique hotel right in town.  The owner was wonderful, getting us last-minute tickets to the Son-et-Lumière at the Château and tables at two wonderful local restaurants (L’Alliance and Le Patio).

• 2 weeks later...

We did the post cruise after our Bordeaux trip. The hotel is out of the way but some passengers took a taxi to get back into town. My husband and I actually ate in their restaurant both nights and it was wonderful. The first night we ate with all the people on the post tour and then the second we ate by ourselves.

The hotel in Paris is right across the way from the train station and the airport. Very convenient. The bar is very nice. The post trip was wonderful and seeing the chateaus are not to be missed.

• Thanks 1

We did this cruise in 2019.  Participated in both the pre-cruise and post-cruise programs. Time pre-cruise in Bilboa was wonderful, especially the trip to the Guggenheim Museum.  Post cruise thru the valley was right up there with the cruise itself.  Absolutely wonderful scenery and the accommodations were excellent, especially the chateau.  Very unique rooms.  We had transportation to the local city from the chateau as well and visited a couple of wineries as well.  While the cruise is costly (pretty typical for river cruising but you'll be hard pressed to take out your wallet while on board and most of the pre and post costs are included.  You won't regret taking this cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the feedback.  When I showed it to DW and mentioned that to avoid making our total trip too long I would eliminate the Isle of Wight if we added this she immediately said she would definitely prefer a return visit to the châteaux – so I booked it.  I was already planning to dine at the château-hotel one night; will play it by ear for the second.

On the final night did you eat at the Pullman hotel restaurant, or are there other good choices nearby?

12 hours ago, Canal archive said:

That couldn’t be our Isle of Wight? off the coast near Portsmouth? Because if it was I could understand.

I don't know of another. 😉  I thought it would be nice to spend a day seeing Osborne House and The Needles.  But the real kicker was that flying home from Bordeaux would have required leaving the river ship after dinner the final night, taking a late flight from BOR to LGW, staying at an airport hotel, and flying back to the US the next morning – just not the way we prefer to end a holiday!  So trading that for two days in the Loire Valley, checking out my old college digs in Tours, visiting five châteaux and staying in a château-hotel, and then flying non-stop from CDG?–no brainer.  [PS – We spent several days in Portsmouth in 2021 doing the Royal Shipyard etc. and this trip will give time to see the D-Day Story.  I'm sure we'll get to the Isle of Wight some day!]

Well you’re talking my neck of the woods and however much I love it I’d take the Loire over all that extra travelling. 
My DHs family came from the Isle of Widget (local expression) my Dads family came from Guernsey. Living on Portsea Island (navy brat) and was tought to swim by navy PTIs. Did you go to HMS Warrior and HMS Victory? The Mary Rose is interesting and the  Spinniker tower is worth going to the top off. We still have friends who live next to the Hot Walls. I did part of my training in the yard. The history of the place is astounding and my Dad at one time worked on the restoration of Victory. Oh wow memories.

We spent quite a bit of time at the Mary Rose, because the lecturer on our upcoming cruise was Rear Admiral John Lippiett, who had been President of the Mary Rose Foundation.  We also did the HMS Victory and Boathouse #4, and the harbor cruise; didn't have time for the rest.  We also did the Rick Steves Old Portsmouth Millennium Promenade Walk, and ate dinner two nights in the Old Portsmouth area.  And I found a Krispy Kreme donut truck at  Gunwharf Quays!  [We only get them in the South in the US, but as Doctor Who Christopher Eccleston might have said, "every country has a South" 🤣]  So fond memories of Portsmouth.

Big Cub Scout event  at Gilwell Park youngest daughter one of the organisers she discovered the Krispy Kreme did a charity price I’ve never seen so many sticky faces and fingers in my life and that’s the Service Team the Cubs were even worse. Inquiry into would it be allowed for the next year - it was and I think still is. Can you imagine all of those sugar rushes and highs.

Jazz my best friend and scooter buddy lives just off the Hot Walls in Old Portsmouths so we visit quite a lot.

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Big Cub Scout event  at Gilwell Park youngest daughter one of the organisers she discovered the Krispy Kreme did a charity price I’ve never seen so many sticky faces and fingers in my life and that’s the Service Team the Cubs were even worse. Inquiry into would it be allowed for the next year - it was and I think still is. Can you imagine all of those sugar rushes and highs.

Jazz my best friend and scooter buddy lives just off the Hot Walls in Old Portsmouths so we visit quite a lot.

Looked up the permanent Portsmouth location on the Krispy Kreme website: very far to the north side of Portsmouth (just above the M27) – too far for a tourist, even if "the light is on."  I'll have to hope the trailer is still parked at Gunwharf Quays.

9 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Now I know your  DW is a shopaholic. Actually on the opposite side of there is the fish market absolutely wonderful fresh fish. If your ever there again go to a pub The Still & West one of the local most historic hostelries, ohh my teenage years.

The Krispy Kremes are for me – she doesn't share my sweet tooth and the last thing anyone would call her is a shopaholic!  The Still & West was one of the two restaurants we tried in 2021 [the other was A Bar Bistro] – we really enjoyed The Still & West and will go again this next time [which sadly isn't until 2025]

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Wow never heard the Still called a restaurant, will have to contact our friends.

I had slow-braised feather blade of beef with bok choy; DW had a salad, and salmon with vegetables. We both tried their ice cream, made from water buffalo cream.  Excellent meal!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the AmaDolce and we did the pre and post cruise extensions. Love the Loire Valley post cruise and wish we had spend more time there. You will love it. I don’t remember the hotel we stayed at CDG, but it was nice, as typical with Amawaterways   
enjoy and say hello to Helene if she is the cruise director. We love her and hope to see her again 

• Thanks 1