Is Disembarkation different in Europe?

This is my families first European cruise. We will be disembarking in Athens. We pack light so we walk our luggage off. At US ports this usually means we are off the ship waiting for a taxi by 7am. Is the disembarkation process different in Europe?  Our flight is at 5:30pm so I would love to book a private tour guide with transportation to see the acropolis but I’m not sure what time to book for. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, megs193 said:

I would love to book a private tour guide with transportation to see the acropolis but I’m not sure what time to book for.

Do it.  You'll easily be off before 9.  Check out Welcome Pickups.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Usually you can simply walk off like in a US port. If your last port has been a Schengen community country you don´t even have a passport control and no customs either.

steamboats

Our last port will be Mykonos so it is.  We travel light and do the self disembark option. It says we dock at 5am but I know it takes awhile for them to start letting people off. Any idea if 7:30 would be too early to start the tour?  I would love to get to the Acropolis right when it opens. 

34 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Do it.  You'll easily be off before 9.  Check out Welcome Pickups.

Thanks for the recommendation!  It looks like they offer exactly what I am looking for. 

Note that the Greek government will shortly be introducing a cap on the number of daily visitors to the Acropolis. See: https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/08/03/greeces-acropolis-cap-on-daily-visitors-and-staggered-entry-times-starting-in-september

If you are arranging to visit with a guide, I'm sure they will be aware and keep you informed. Definitely advise getting there first thing in the morning before it gets too busy and too hot to enjoy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, megs193 said:

Our last port will be Mykonos so it is.  We travel light and do the self disembark option. It says we dock at 5am but I know it takes awhile for them to start letting people off. Any idea if 7:30 would be too early to start the tour?  I would love to get to the Acropolis right when it opens. 

The tour operators know exactly what the ships schedule is and would not book you on something where they could not do the tour. That being said, it is incumbent on you to be off the ship and not leaving your cabin at 7:20. 

We got off in Rome, took our time and were off by 7:30 carrying our luggage.  Flew to Athens and the guy there was angry with Italy because they did not touch our passports, made us prove we got off a cruise ship that morning.  He mumbled something about Italians and allowed us into Greece.

• Like 1