Cruiselines offering 70s & 80s style entertainment?

Sandie5

We are on the Seabourn Quest where they recently had a “King, Queen, and Prince” show.  The King was Michael Jackson, the Queen was Whitney Houston, and the Prince was Prince.  Funny that you find such a show on a luxury line that attracts older folks, while some lines that want to attract younger folks still seem lost in the 50s to 70s.

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are on the Seabourn Quest where they recently had a “King, Queen, and Prince” show.  The King was Michael Jackson, the Queen was Whitney Houston, and the Prince was Prince.  Funny that you find such a show on a luxury line that attracts older folks, while some lines that want to attract younger folks still seem lost in the 50s to 70s.

I saw tributes to all three of the mentioned acts, but they were on separate cruises - two of them music themed charters.  The Jacksons were on one of them and did a couple of Michael's solo songs.  The soloist Ashlie Amber performed Whitney Houston.  The group Red Corvette paid tribute to the Purple One.

IMG_20220301_183722.thumb.jpg.7d7293e21ba326eed9be74310fcd5ef7.jpg

original_a2fc8df6-aa27-4f84-8488-963f68ed875c_IMG_20230226_200518.thumb.jpg.1bf32d3fbc2cf098d200673c52fd69c6.jpg

IMG_20230413_200814.thumb.jpg.a7cf92e6d3e09b58c711a9c8f8d99387.jpg

I go to lots of live music gigs, but I have never been attracted to attend a tribute act show.

Too many great young bands around these days, in the UK, to want to watch a tribute act.

I avoid them on cruise ships.

Would lo e to see a cruiseline be a bit out there and invite current bands to play occasionally playing their own music.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I go to lots of live music gigs, but I have never been attracted to attend a tribute act show.

Too many great young bands around these days, in the UK, to want to watch a tribute act.

I avoid them on cruise ships.

Would lo e to see a cruiseline be a bit out there and invite current bands to play occasionally playing their own music.

Interesting points. I'm mostly your opposite - I don't see a lot of live music, and what I do is mostly on music themed cruises. As talented as the musicians of today are, I just can't find the time to get to know them very well. That's why I'm attracted to tribute acts - I know what they're likely to play and generally they're played well.

Different strokes for different folks - that's what makes the world go around. 🙂

• Like 1