View from Steerage - MSC Euribia, 13-20 August

maehara

4 hours ago, PFK56 said:

We are looking at this same trip for next year. If there is any way possible, could you post the daily activities? It would be much appreciated.

We’re collecting the daily planners - I’ll scan them in and post them once we’re home. For what it’s worth, though, there is absolutely no shortage of activities on board. If anything, we’re finding we can’t keep up… 😅

• Like 3

Past couple of days have been hectic, but we’re now on our 2nd & final sea day on the way to Kiel. 

Not going to talk too much about shore excursions, since we organised those ourselves - they weren’t through MSC. 

Been doing the rounds of the on-board venues, and L’Atelier du Voyagers is becoming our favourite spot - it’s comparatively quiet (even when there’s live music on there it’s not as loud as other venues get), and you can nearly always get seats there. And it’s at the other end of the Galleria from the Euribia Lounge, which is where most of the loud events happen. (Last night was White Night, which had a pretty much 100% turnout. Folks take White Night seriously!)

We’ve also done specialty dining at Le Grill (very tasty food, huge portions - I was fit to go full Mr Creosote, if someone had just offered me a wafer-thin mint); and at Hola!, where the all-you-can-eat deal was taken advantage of. Busy night there, and the White Party was kicking off just outside, so maybe not the best night to go - service was slow, but the food was still tasty & plentiful. Drinks packages were accepted at both restaurants. 

Saw Illuminicity in the Delphi Theatre Wednesday night - show based around classic video gaming, you could maybe say it was Tron-inspired. Games and songs referenced tapped right into my childhood, so it worked really well for me; rest of the family doesn’t have those touch points, but still enjoyed the routines and light shows that went along with it. 

Only real complaint we’ve had so far is that we’ve drawn the short straw with our room steward - never seen them, couple of notes we left asking for small things (extra pillows for the kids, ice for the ice bucket) have been ignored, hand soap dispenser in the bathroom hasn’t been topped up and is now empty; so that’ll be a visit to guest services later. 

But overall we’re having a wonderful time & there’s likely to be a visit to the Future Cruise desk before we leave. 

Just Kiel to go, then back to Copenhagen & home on Sunday. 

Edited by maehara
  • Like 3

Good to hear your cruise is going well, interesting changes to some of the venues you have mentioned like no Butchers cut, hope the last day is also good for you.

Not sure this comment below was the right thing to say on these boards .... 😁

but that requires a cash deposit rather than just a link to a credit card, so bollocks to that. 

16 minutes ago, sidari said:

Not sure this comment below was the right thing to say on these boards .... 😁

And there I was thinking I was doing a wonderful job of keeping my usual potty mouth in check. Whoops. 😅

Sadly the edit timeout on that post is long past….

• Like 1

Thank you - 4 (first rate at the price !) cruises taken on Virtuosa this year...two booked on Euribia Nov./Jan., so pleased to hear how she's getting on.

Have been amazed by how easy the cash deposit is on V'osa - saves having money on card 'ring-fenced', & on most cruises my entire on-board spending has been £1 for MSC Foundation !

Yep - unlucky indeed with stewarding problems...anything I've requested/been concerned about has invariably been solved within the hour, so have to hope yours is a 'teething' glitch.

Never, sailing out of S'pton at least, had any restaurant worries about exactly where on the menu your orders come from - 2 mains/2 desserts doesn't even raise an eyebrow !

Will be happy to see scans, & anything else you're able to share. Hope 'future cruise' visit has led to something more to look forward to !

Hello,

How have the crowds been at the Champagne Bar? My last two experiences have been polar opposites: Needing to take in turns to breath with queues into the corridor vs an undertaker's waiting room.

Regards,

Cublet.

2 hours ago, cublet said:

How have the crowds been at the Champagne Bar? My last two experiences have been polar opposites: Needing to take in turns to breath with queues into the corridor vs an undertaker's waiting room.

The times we’ve been past the Champagne Bar, it’s been nearly deserted. Some overflow from the atrium, but definitely on the “undertaker” this trip. 

Edited by maehara

2 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Delighted you're still having a great trip.

Is there a very varied mix of nationalities on board? And another quick question, is there a variety of draught beer in the pub, anything like a real ale? 

According to our Cruise Director, Petra, there are over 100 nationalities on board. Native English-speakers would seem to be in the minority, with plenty of Dutch / Germans / Italians / Spanish / French on board; there are also sizeable tour groups from Israel, Turkey & China. So yes, very varied mix. 

Pub menu from Masters of the Seas attached - we were there just this evening for their 80s/90s act, which is just my era. 😅

QR_J_BAR-LIST-BRITISH-PUB-V1_OTHER_DAYX_EN_1692037126.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, maehara said:

The times we’ve been past the Champagne Bar, it’s been nearly deserted. Some overflow from the atrium, but definitely on the “undertaker” this trip. 

Hello,

Many thanks.

On ONE of my 'alternate breathing' nights, we got through 700 bottles of Champagne just in that bar.

Regards,

Cublet

22 hours ago, maehara said:

And there I was thinking I was doing a wonderful job of keeping my usual potty mouth in check. Whoops. 😅

Sadly the edit timeout on that post is long past….

😁 I saw on a different Deck plan that Butchers Cut was shown as being where Il Campo Dining room is on Virtuosa ie the same side as the TV Bar and Lounge, as you mentioned that the BC has now changed names is it now on the Starboard side as above or is it still where BC is on Virtuosa ie the Port side ?

Edited by sidari

We’re currently docked up in Kiel, which is one of the 2 changeover ports on this trip, so lots of embarking / disembarking going on. We’re all absolutely knackered after the busy week so far, so there’s some debate as to whether we’ll bother getting off today - a debate for after lunch. 

Last night had the farewell variety show, Euribia Live!, in the Delphi (fun, and ended with a parade by the senior crew & reps of the various onboard departments, to get their thanks from the passengers), then we headed on to Masters of the Sea for 80s/90s night. Band was playing a good selection of classics and getting a good singalong reaction from the crowd there. Good fun. 

Took the kids to Jean Phillipe for sundaes; and got myself a premium hot choc while there (with vanilla vodka & Baileys Irish Cream). Very nice; and the girls’ sundaes were huge and beat them for size. 

Ended up at the Euribia Lounge later in the evening - one of the spots that’s usually hard to get a seat at, but by the time we got there it had cleared out and we were able to sit & enjoy the act there winding down. Usually a good selection of acts here, just a shame it’s so hard to get seated there. 

Oh, also dropped by Future Cruise to book our 2024 & 2025 trips. ::points at updated signature::

Debarkation for us at Copenhagen tomorrow. Booo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maehara said:

Oh, also dropped by Future Cruise to book our 2024 & 2025 trips. ::points at updated signature::

"2925 - MSC Lirica (Venice > Kotor > Mykonos > Santorini > Ancona > Venice)"

That is certainly planning ahead! 🙂

We still have to book a cruise out of Venice (..or at least close to it..), I worked there for a couple of years but never had time to look around.

Aaaand we’re done. Last day on board was mostly disorganised packing, but we also took time for dinner at Kaito Robatayaki (robata-style grill next to the Teppanyaki) - 7-course Dining Experience which was mostly lovely, but be advised that the grill “main course” comes cooked very much rare (you’re not asked preference), so if that’s not to your taste, beware. Rare-cooked tuna very much wasn’t to Mrs M’s taste, which spoilt the experience somewhat; but the rest of us enjoyed what we had. 

Out of cabin at 8, off the ship at 9:50, and that’s all, folks. 

General observations:

Very much enjoyed the MSC experience - ship is kept spotless, staff are friendly and helpful, plenty to do on-board.

MDR food during dinner was usually hot (warm at worst), menus were varied and most items were tasty. We had set dining, which meant a regular waiter, who got to know our usual drinks etc so these were on standby near the table when we arrived. MDR breakfast / lunch was a bit more hit-and-miss, particularly when it was busy - items would be forgotten, or you’d get given coffee whether you liked it or not. 

Specialty restaurants seemed to be trying to kill you by overeating, which given the costs seems fair. Worth the cost for the quality of the food and attentive service. 

Only thing we’d class as poor was the cabin steward - mostly covered in earlier posts; the soap dispenser never was refilled, and before leaving we found items of clothing left behind by previous guests scattered in corners of the room. Not great. 

But generally very happy - had a great trip, and looking forward to next year’s trip on World Europa. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:52 AM, maehara said:

Aaaand we’re done. Last day on board was mostly disorganised packing, but we also took time for dinner at Kaito Robatayaki (robata-style grill next to the Teppanyaki) - 7-course Dining Experience which was mostly lovely, but be advised that the grill “main course” comes cooked very much rare (you’re not asked preference), so if that’s not to your taste, beware. Rare-cooked tuna very much wasn’t to Mrs M’s taste, which spoilt the experience somewhat; but the rest of us enjoyed what we had. 

Out of cabin at 8, off the ship at 9:50, and that’s all, folks. 

General observations:

Very much enjoyed the MSC experience - ship is kept spotless, staff are friendly and helpful, plenty to do on-board.

MDR food during dinner was usually hot (warm at worst), menus were varied and most items were tasty. We had set dining, which meant a regular waiter, who got to know our usual drinks etc so these were on standby near the table when we arrived. MDR breakfast / lunch was a bit more hit-and-miss, particularly when it was busy - items would be forgotten, or you’d get given coffee whether you liked it or not. 

Specialty restaurants seemed to be trying to kill you by overeating, which given the costs seems fair. Worth the cost for the quality of the food and attentive service. 

Only thing we’d class as poor was the cabin steward - mostly covered in earlier posts; the soap dispenser never was refilled, and before leaving we found items of clothing left behind by previous guests scattered in corners of the room. Not great. 

But generally very happy - had a great trip, and looking forward to next year’s trip on World Europa. 

Loved reading this thread @maehara and thank you for your time! Do you recall how much Hola was? It's priced at £18 for the specialty dining package which we think is pointless?

2 hours ago, Stocksy82 said:

Loved reading this thread @maehara and thank you for your time! Do you recall how much Hola was? It's priced at £18 for the specialty dining package which we think is pointless?

Walk-in charge is €17.99 each for the all-you-can-eat, plus 15% gratuity. So pre-paying will save you the gratuity, but that’s all. 

Here’s the menu for reference (more of these to come when I get myself organised!). 

Euribia-Hola.pdf

Edited by maehara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your reviews and posting this menu.  It has been frustrating planning this cruise with so little information on the ship available.  If you have other specialty menus available I would appreciate seeing them.

Menus for the other Speciality venues we tried out - Le Grill, Kaito Robatayaki, and the Jean Phillipe Cafe & Crepes / Gelato on the Galleria.

Drinks packages work in the speciality restaurants, and it was always made clear to us at arrival what our package (Easy Plus) covered & what it didn't.  Jean Phillipe is considered a 'Signature Venue', and doesn't accept drinks packages.

Euribia-LeGrill-Bar.jpg

Euribia-LeGrill-Menu.jpg

Euribia-JeanPhilippe-Crepes-Gelato.pdf Euribia-JeanPhillipe-Cafe.pdf Euribia-Kaito-Robatayaki.pdf

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stocksy82 said:

Is it just pay the difference if you want a more expensive drink?

Yep, if you go for something out of your package you just pay the extra (plus 15% gratuity on the extra).

MDR Breakfast & Lunch menus.  Dining room for these was Aurora Borealis, with Aurora Borealae the 'overflow' when Borealis filled up (including for Aurea - the Aurea MDR, Il Campo, only opened for dinner).   Breakfast menu is the same every day.

MDR-Euribia-Breakfast.jpg

MDR-Euribia-Lunch5.jpg

MDR-Euribia-Lunch1.pdf MDR-Euribia-Lunch2.pdf MDR-Euribia-Lunch3.pdf MDR-Euribia-Lunch4.pdf

MDR-Euribia-Breakfast-pg2.pdf

Edited by maehara

MDR dinner menus attached.  There were 2 sea days on this cruise - Gala Night was on the first, Mediterranean Night on the second..

(For those still following along: I still have the daily planners to post.  Coming in a few days once I get the time to scan them in.)

MDR-Euribia-Dinner4.png

MDR-Euribia-Gala-pg1.jpg

MDR-Euribia-Gala-pg2.jpg

MDR-Euribia-Dinner1.pdf MDR-Euribia-Dinner2.pdf MDR-Euribia-Dinner3.pdf MDR-Euribia-Mediterranean-Night.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is a great find.  We just booked Euribia on Friday and I'm trying to find out what I can.  This will also be our first MSC cruise so I'm looking for all the information I can get.  🙂