First time cruiser daytime dress code

We are joining the Grandeur on January 26th 2024 for the 10 day Western Caribbean. It is the first time we have ever cruised (our youngest offspring is off to university this Autumn) and I believe we have chosen well! 

I have a few questions that I am certain you can answer.  I have really enjoyed reading the Regent forum and have learnt so much!

Firstly, thanks to many CC threads,  I have mastered the evening “elegant casual” dress code but I need some assistance with the daytime. Most of our port excursions are water based and therefore request “swimwear with a cover up”. Will this be appropriate to wear to breakfast? Can my husband wear swim shorts and a t-shirt, or should he wear linen shorts and a polo shirt to breakfast and change for the port? Can I wear a swimsuit with a beach dress to breakfast? Are leggings acceptable day wear? We would rather be smarter dressed than bring attention to ourselves for being under-dressed!

Secondly, we took the air credit and booked our own British Airways flights from London (Regent only includes Economy travelling from the UK) so I believe we will need to arrange our own transport to The Biltmore, Miami. Our flight home from Miami doesn’t depart until 8pm. Any tips for filling this time after leaving the ship, with luggage in tow? I have read that post-cruise Miami excursions can be booked on the ship. Will these drop off at the airport? Will they keep our luggage for the day?

Thank you, Amanda

PS Hopefully I can change my CC monicer in February!

1 hour ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

We are joining the Grandeur on January 26th 2024 for the 10 day Western Caribbean. It is the first time we have ever cruised (our youngest offspring is off to university this Autumn) and I believe we have chosen well! 

I have a few questions that I am certain you can answer.  I have really enjoyed reading the Regent forum and have learnt so much!

Firstly, thanks to many CC threads,  I have mastered the evening “elegant casual” dress code but I need some assistance with the daytime. Most of our port excursions are water based and therefore request “swimwear with a cover up”. Will this be appropriate to wear to breakfast? Can my husband wear swim shorts and a t-shirt, or should he wear linen shorts and a polo shirt to breakfast and change for the port? Can I wear a swimsuit with a beach dress to breakfast? Are leggings acceptable day wear? We would rather be smarter dressed than bring attention to ourselves for being under-dressed!

Secondly, we took the air credit and booked our own British Airways flights from London (Regent only includes Economy travelling from the UK) so I believe we will need to arrange our own transport to The Biltmore, Miami. Our flight home from Miami doesn’t depart until 8pm. Any tips for filling this time after leaving the ship, with luggage in tow? I have read that post-cruise Miami excursions can be booked on the ship. Will these drop off at the airport? Will they keep our luggage for the day?

Thank you, Amanda

I’d see if you can get a day room at a hotel on South beach or something? 

• Thanks 1

You can certainly wear a bathing suit with a coverup for breakfast. I have seen many people do so. Your husband could probably get away with swim shorts, but maybe put another pair of shorts over them, depending on how much they look like swim and how much they look like shorts. The t-shirt is fine.

Part way through the cruise you'll get a form that asks you how you want to disembark. Most times you are offered a half or full day tour and an airport drop off. Your luggage is on the bus with you and stays safe. If you aren't on a Regent-booked flight, you'll have to pay to get onto that tour. Regent-booked passengers get it included. You can pay now for that transfer (add it to your fare) if you want.

We had our full day tour canceled last December because there weren't enough people choosing it. We took the half day tour, and spent more time at the airport. Since our airline bag check didn't open up until two hours before a 6pm flight, we couldn't get to the lounge for a couple of hours. You can maybe find out from BA when they open their desk. If you don't like the answer you can, as suggested above, find a hotel with day rooms. There are websites that will book one for you (search "day rooms") but though I start with those websites, I always go direct to the hotel, because sometimes the aggregators are out of date.

Welcome to cruising and welcome to Regent!

Edited by RELS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

Thank you, Amanda

Ooh we are similar to you first time cruisers and going on grandeur in Feb 2024 and booked our own flights with BA from LHR , although our flight home is earlier than yours . Excited already even though it’s 6 months away 😊

Swim suits with a cover up as you describe is OK for Breakfast on the pool deck grill or in the La Veranda, but if you plan to eat in the Compass Rose in the morning you might be more comfortable wearing your causal clothes and changing after you eat. We eat in the Compass Rose for breakfast when it is open and haven’t seen any swimsuits with cover ups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cwn said:

Swim suits with a cover up as you describe is OK for Breakfast on the pool deck grill or in the La Veranda, but if you plan to eat in the Compass Rose in the morning you might be more comfortable wearing your causal clothes and changing after you eat. We eat in the Compass Rose for breakfast when it is open and haven’t seen any swimsuits with cover ups.

I modify my answer. I generally eat breakfast in La Veranda, and the dress code is definitely more casual than in Compass Rose.

• Like 1

As others have said swimsuit with coverup fine for La Verandah but not for Compass Rose.  Please make sure not to wear your bathrobe to either pool or spa; bathrobes are for in room use only.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrlevin said:

As others have said swimsuit with coverup fine for La Verandah but not for Compass Rose.  Please make sure not to wear your bathrobe to either pool or spa; bathrobes are for in room use only.  

I don’t wear the bathrobes at all but I disagree with your opinion.

If it’s ok to wear a swimsuit from your room to the pool or spa, why is it inappropriate to wear a swimsuit covered by a robe?

Just now, Nachosdelux said:

I don’t wear the bathrobes at all but I disagree with your opinion.

If it’s ok to wear a swimsuit from your room to the pool or spa, why is it inappropriate to wear a swimsuit covered by a robe?

The Regent robes are for in room use only.  If you have a "robe" cover up feel free.

11 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Oh my goodness! Do people really do this? Nightwear to breakfast?!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

Oh my goodness! Do people really do this? Nightwear to breakfast?!!

Yes, but I've never seen it on Regent, I have on other cruise lines.  The worst (IMHO) was at Midnight, New Year's Eve, on a Royal Caribbean ship where most everyone (amazingly) was dressed in evening clothes (tux's, suits, cocktail dresses, formals), in the middle of the crowd was one woman who was in her bathrobe, slippers, and hair in curlers.  I did think the pink slippers were an especially "nice" touch. True story!  😱

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gb58 said:

Says who??

I was wondering that also. I see people wearing the Terry cloth robe to the spa and the pool. Think it is preferable to nothing but just a skimpy ill fitting swim suit! I can’t recall ever seeing anything from Regent saying the robes are for cabin use only. But then we always stash ours in the back of the closet as we find them bulky and hot. I have never seen the bath robes in the bars or the dinning rooms just the pool deck and the spa area.

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Don't see it in FAQ so had to be in Passages on past cruises.  Maybe someone on board can confirm where it is documented.

This “fact” has been stated before on CC threads, but I have never seen it in any Regent material.

I saved all of the Passages from our last Splendor and Navigator cruises and can’t find anything about the terry robes. A lot about chair hogs! Only thing I ever remember about them is a tag hanging with them that if you wanted to take them home, they were for sale. That may not even be the case now. 

Maybe it is cultural, but Terry robes were popular cover ups when I was a kid at the pools around Houston. 

3 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

In response to the OP, depending on the time of your excursion, you might find it more convenient and relaxing to have room service breakfast. Sitting on your veranda in the Caribbean is pretty nice. 

Totally agree! We did a lot of that on our last cruise in the Caribbean! Few if any container ports and lots of pertly views!   

16 hours ago, labonnevie said:

In response to the OP, depending on the time of your excursion, you might find it more convenient and relaxing to have room service breakfast. Sitting on your veranda in the Caribbean is pretty nice. 

That is a great idea! Thank you.