Hiking boots needed for city walking?

budmeister

I read in one that hiking boots were recommended for walking as streets are not paved in some places. We will be walking around the Acropolis, Delos, Rhodes, Lindos, Mykonos, Oia, Fira, and Ephesus. I have no intention of walking down the donkey trail. 

Do you think normal athletic shoes and hiking sticks will do the trick, or do you recommend bringing the hiking boots? I walked on a volcanic (rock? sand?) beach once, and really regretted not having them. 

1 hour ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi, you don't need boots.  Trainers or sneakers are fine, you would probably be much too hot in boots 

Thanks! I was thinking that. I was hoping that what I read was really meaning not to wear flips flops, non-Birkenstock-like sandals or dressier shoes. 

Those  hiking boots would be super heavy in the suitcase and uncomfortable to wear on a 10 hour flight.

Agree...don't need boots. Been to most of your sights, and many other locations in Europe. never needed hiking boots. People complain about cobblestone roads/walks...can be a bit annoying. Study cross training gym shoes or similar would be wise.

• Like 2

Overall, I would say hiking books are not necessary.  However, I wore my urban hikers more as a matter of preference while the missus wore her runners.  

Where the hikers came in most handy for me were:  

Athens:  We didn't go into the Acropolis this time but we went up and walked around the Areopagus Hill beside it which was a bit slippery and craggy.  It also poured for a few hours in the morning so my socks were dry whereas the missus were a bit soaked.  

Ephesus:  Some slippery step particularly at the Celsus Library.

Oia:  There's a bit of a viewpoint by the Oia Castle where you need to take a short trail.  It's a bit craggy.  The missus just took her time and was fine.  

(And Fira donkey trail.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been to most of the places you are traveling. Great itinerary. I do not take my hiking boots to these types of ports. I do take breathable shoes with good soles. This year I wore a pair of sketchers and they worked just fine. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bison2013 said:

We wear our Merrell hiking shoes everywhere in Europe and increasingly in NA.

Uneven surfaces of unknown composition, cobblestones, higher curbs and peace of mind knowing our toes won't get crushed when we get stepped on in queues... all worth it IOE.

Thanks!  Those are the exact ones my husband has! Mine are higher and heavier, due to a desire for ankle stability on uneven ground and walking through rocky ground (not little bitty rocks) , which normally would be hiking trails and more scenic out in nature places. 

Do you think a hiking stick would help if I do not want to bring the boots?

1 hour ago, budmeister said:

Thanks!  Those are the exact ones my husband has! Mine are higher and heavier, due to a desire for ankle stability on uneven ground and walking through rocky ground (not little bitty rocks) , which normally would be hiking trails and more scenic out in nature places. 

Do you think a hiking stick would help if I do not want to bring the boots?

I find the hiking shoes are good for sole of the foot comfort vs stability. It is surprising how many little rocks along unpaved paths I can feel through soft soles like on tennis shoes. Worst are 'walking shoes' with those foam soles.

The hiking stick question is one I struggle with- looking forward to hearing from others. I find it throws my balance off esp while going up hill.

We will be in Greece and Turkey in October. Last month in Europe I wore a pair of good walking sneakers but I still got so tired of the cobblestones and uneven surfaces.  My feet felt like chopped meat at the end of some days. 

So I just bought a pair of Merrell hiking shoes for Greece. They’re not much higher than sneakers, but they  have a sturdy construction and thick tread. 

I’ll wear them on the plane so I won’t have to worry about the size and weight if I were to pack them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

We will be in Greece and Turkey in October. Last month in Europe I wore a pair of good walking sneakers but I still got so tired of the cobblestones and uneven surfaces.  My feet felt like chopped meat at the end of some days. 

So I just bought a pair of Merrell hiking shoes for Greece. They’re not much higher than sneakers, but they  have a sturdy construction and thick tread. 

I’ll wear them on the plane so I won’t have to worry about the size and weight if I were to pack them. 

Thanks for the advice!  My husband has those. I am thinking about investing in them.

I wear trail runners, look like and double as sneakers, but better grip more like hiking boots, but not as heavy (just like running shoes, you can find quite light trail runners too.)  I usually get mine at REI.  Also doing Turkey/Greece cruise in Oct!  Read that ancient sites can have quite slippery pavements.  Yes on bringing hiking poles too!  Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sounds like you've got an awesome trip lined up! When it comes to footwear, it really depends on your comfort level and the terrain. While hiking boots could provide extra support, if you're mainly walking around cities and tourist sites, normal athletic shoes should do the trick.

If you're worried about rough terrain or cobblestone streets, maybe consider bringing hiking sticks for added stability. But honestly, I reckon you'll be fine with your regular kicks.

Oh, and while you're packing, don't forget to check out some hiking outfits women. Having the right gear can make all the difference, even if you're just exploring city streets.