Kid Cruising w/One Parent but Not Both, Notarized Letter?

Aoumd

Sailing with my DS6 later this month on a father son cruise.

I remember reading in the past some parents got notarized letters from the parent not traveling, indicating permission for the child to leave the country with the parent traveling, for their cruises where one parent but not both were traveling.

I asked my PVP who I booked through and she said it is not necessary.

Can anyone share experiences with needing the letter or not?  We’re US citizens on a closed loop cruise from and returning to a U.S. port, so the only time we clear a border formality will be coming BACK into the US.  We’re traveling with our passports.

Thanks!

Edited by Aoumd

I have seen the same threads.  While you may not be asked, if the mom is cooperative then the modest effort seems worth it to me. I'm sure someone has a template letter you can use.

I have brought a letter with us both times we traveled with friends of our kids or our grandkids.  Carnival has a form on their website you can download.  Neither time was I asked to show the letter.  But better to have it and not need it.  Plus the letter also includes medical power of attorney in case of an emergency.

• Like 2

I have sailed with my older kids 7 or 8 times & I’m divorced so never with their father. He knows & is perfectly fine with it. Our first cruise I brought along the letter & handed it over at check in. The agent glanced at it less than a second & just handed it right back saying “I don’t need this”. Our second cruise i brought it but kept it in my bag. Never was asked. Never brought one again, & never have been asked. This is several different ports over several years as recently as March of this year.

It’s never a bad thing to have because who knows if you’ll be the one asked? But that’s been my personal experience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You do not say where you are cruising to.

Some countries, Canada for example, requires this documentation for minors not traveling with both parents.

Tampa to Cozumel and return.

Right off the website......

'Traveling with Minors
When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.'

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Right off the website......

'Traveling with Minors
When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.'

Thanks for finding that from the website.  Sounds like the letter must be signed but doesn’t have to be notarized.  Makes things a little easier.